Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - Loring Park - North Loop - Mill District

Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Postby John » May 31st, 2012, 10:15 pm

New 34 story apartment tower at 5th Street and Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis. Construction to begin in June 2012.
John
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Residences

Postby Andrew_F » May 31st, 2012, 10:19 pm

Do we have a source other than a rumored mention during a council meeting? If there was something in the last month, I'm sure I missed it...
Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby MN_Badger » June 1st, 2012, 7:23 am

I've heard (hearsay - take it for what it's worth) that once the financial crisis and recession hit, Opus stopped paying everyone in a hurry and created a lot of bad blood among financiers. If this is actually the case, I'll be shocked to see this get built unless Opus can self finance...
MN_Badger
City Center

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 7:46 am

Rendering of the project:
John
IDS Center

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 1st, 2012, 9:23 am

Makes you wonder what development WOULD happen if private developers didn't own so many blocks downtown....I'm sure the city of Minneapolis is not in the business to invest in land (except schools, apparently), but if they owned properties like these my guess is that a developer WITH sound financials and ready capital would be here in a FLASH if they could secure the property. Since the Opus' and Magellans of the world sit on these sites and wait indefinitely, development never seems to happen like it could in a truly "free market".

Or is there something I'm not understanding about the current process?
min-chi-cbus
IDS Center

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 11:33 am

Nicollet Residences will be a great addition to Nicollet Mall. The architects took great care to make this building work well in the context of its prominent urban site. I love the soaring vertical pattern and massing of the windows and balconies at Nicollet and 5th, and how they carry the eye upward towards the cantilevered crown. The street level is open and engaged with the pedestrian, and relates well with the LRT station. I love the colored glass artwork on the 5th street facade. The skyway level seemlessly connects to the new building rather than "plowing" through it awkwardly. This is going to bring new residents right into the heart of downtown and Nicollet Mall. A stellar project for this city!
John
IDS Center

Postby sketchin » June 1st, 2012, 12:25 pm

This is the kind of project that will finally bring life to the downtown core other than just daytime commuting traffic. Recently I took a trip to San Diego, and the main thing I felt they had over us (besides climate) was plenty of downtown living opportunity. I cannot wait to see this go up.
sketchin
Block E

Postby Nathan » June 1st, 2012, 12:27 pm

Is it done yet!?
Nathan
IDS Center

Postby spectre000 » June 11th, 2012, 1:20 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/158462805.html

Mpls. apartment boom underway
Posted by: Eric Roper Updated: June 11, 2012

"...Opus Development says construction is expected to begin in October, and finish in mid-2014..."
spectre000
Union Depot

Postby Nick » June 11th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I'd heard that this is going through some design changes, which is why they may be starting later than planned.
Nick

Postby ECtransplant » June 11th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I am going to be elated when this breaks ground!

Edit: Wait. Design changes? Any word or rumors about what those might be?
ECtransplant
Foshay Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 11th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I'm not sure that just because the Strib has posted expected start/completion dates that these things will all get built, but it sure doesn't hurt either. I'd like to hear something directly from the developers of LaSalle and Nicollet before I exhale.
min-chi-cbus
IDS Center

Postby spectre000 » June 11th, 2012, 1:52 pm

min-chi-cbus wrote:I'm not sure that just because the Strib has posted expected start/completion dates that these things will all get built, but it sure doesn't hurt either. I'd like to hear something directly from the developers of LaSalle and Nicollet before I exhale.

Well I'm sure the Star Trib didn't just pull this information out of thin air. The quote re: 1368 is coming from Magellan. I never put too much stock in what developers say anyways. They always give the most optimistic quotes possible. I'm just happy to hear some official news. Whether these towers break ground later this summer or October, time will tell. But at least now we have some new information.
spectre000
Union Depot

Postby Lancestar2 » June 11th, 2012, 11:11 pm

the updated information from the Tribune is exciting! My favorite aspect about the Nicollet tower is how "large and fat" the bottom of the building is and how it sits so close to the station with doors for residents! This tower will be the 1st "true urban living building" on Nicollet Mall and on a LRT station! I do hope they don't change much because once I finish college and get a good job there is a good chance I will be seeking to live here! :mrgreen:

I would be surprised if this project doesn't get built only because IMO this site is the best location in all of Minneapolis and even the state for urban living! on intersection where the Blue line & Green line connect and the future Nicollet/Central Street car line will intersect as well! Plus it will be connected via skyway to rest of downtown! it's the holy grail of projects in Minneapolis! :lol: major game changer! can't wait for the ground breaking!!! :mrgreen:
Lancestar2
Rice Park

Postby dumberGuy » June 11th, 2012, 11:17 pm

My guess is that the next five years of Nic Res will be a lot like the last five years, which is to say: parking lot.

Same goes for 1368 LaSalle. That's another parking lot-for-life if I ever saw one.
dumberGuy

Postby mpls_tc » June 11th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Your guess is wrong according to this article from the Startribune.. http://www.startribune.com/local/158462805.html
mpls_tc
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby Konante » June 12th, 2012, 8:11 am

This would be across from Neiman Marcus, towards Washington Ave, correct?
Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 12th, 2012, 11:49 am

Correct.
612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby Unity77 » June 12th, 2012, 12:20 pm

dumberGuy wrote:My guess is that the next five years of Nic Res will be a lot like the last five years, which is to say: parking lot.

Same goes for 1368 LaSalle. That's another parking lot-for-life if I ever saw one.

:roll: It's so easy for many Minnesotans to be negative. Is it possible that living through the cold, winter months (even for one year) can hinder one's ability to ever be happy / positive again?
Unity77
Nicollet Mall

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 6:32 am

Well this Minnesotan has made it thru many winters. This past one I log more walking miles thru the winter than all the winters before. You just need not be a wimp about it and YES a positive attitude helps.
Wedgeguy
IDS Center

Next

Return to Minneapolis - Downtown