Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
BoredAgain
Union Depot

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby BoredAgain » November 24th, 2014, 11:31 am

I live on Blaisdell, grew up in Minneapolis, and my pronunciation is more along the lines of /blaze · dell/. That said, if it were in a dictionary, it would probably use a schwa, so even "dell" isn't quite accurate.

I do always make a point of spelling it for people that need to to write it down, since the pronunciation is ambiguous.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 24th, 2014, 1:00 pm

MPLS native. Blais.del Less Z and more S. Short vowel sound on the e. Not blayze.dayle
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 24th, 2014, 2:12 pm

My dad who grew up on the Northside pronounces it "Blaze-dale" and I picked that up from him. It always struck me as kinda Southern.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 24th, 2014, 2:19 pm

My dad who grew up on the Northside pronounces it "Blaze-dale" and I picked that up from him. It always struck me as kinda Southern.
Since I posed the question originally, I'll fess up: I say "blaze·dale" too. I've only lived in Minneapolis for 3.5 years, so I don't know if I heard someone say it that way, or it just naturally occurred in my brain like that. Probably the latter, due to my typical Minnesotan instinct to over-pronounce everything and affinity for hard vowels.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » November 24th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Most transplants I know say blaze dale

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 25th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Citizen Cafe on 38th St closed a few months ago (the place was great). Looks like its replacement, Pilgrimage Cafe, will be opening soon. http://www.pilgrimagecafe.com/home.html

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 26th, 2014, 9:00 am

I drove by 2716 E Lake St recently. The exterior appears to be large river stones embedded into concrete. Its gives of a "northwoods fireplace" vibe. But still not so bad considering the context, the lovely building to west, this meh building, and then Max-it Pawn to the east.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 27th, 2014, 7:47 am

The exterior appears to painted insulation, you can see words through the 'stucco'.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 4th, 2014, 10:52 am

There's a Hoodstarter to gather ideas for how to use the old Furniture Liquidators building on 38th and Chicago.

https://www.hoodstarter.com/spaces/3

One idea you can vote for is to keep it vacant, with this description:

"Quit gentrifying Chicago Avenue, especially around 38th St, and leave this building empty or at the very least let it serve the needs of the *rest* of the Powderhorn neighborhood, who are not young, white art folks who think they are poor." :roll:

I just thought you all might enjoy that.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

No idea where the "right" place to put this is, but someone is finally building a house at the SW corner of Franklin and Fremont:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 134718.pdf

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2014, 2:34 pm

The new Parkway Carbone's and Cork Dork look nearly complete.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 11th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Standish-Ericsson restaurant update:

Pilgrimage is now open. This is the old Citizen Cafe space on 38th Street.

Parkway Carbone's new location will be opening in less than a week. This is across Cedar Ave from their existing location. Cork Dork wine shop is also moving to the same building, but I have not confirmed a date yet.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 20th, 2014, 11:26 am

Hot Wok Delivery has moved into the old Apho location on Nicollet & 38th. I believe it's their third location in the Twin Cities. Their website doesn't appear to be taking online orders yet:

http://www.hotwokdelivery.com

And they appear to be raising funds even after opening on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... k-delivery

We've ordered from them twice now and have to admit that we're pretty impressed so far.

A copy of their menu is listed on their kickstarter page.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » January 2nd, 2015, 12:00 pm

Standish-Ericsson restaurant update:

Pilgrimage is now open. This is the old Citizen Cafe space on 38th Street.

Parkway Carbone's new location will be opening in less than a week. This is across Cedar Ave from their existing location. Cork Dork wine shop is also moving to the same building, but I have not confirmed a date yet.
Got breakfast at Pilgrimage, very tasty and the chef/owner came around to talk to us. They are also now open for dinner.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 23rd, 2015, 10:40 am

I joined some friends for Bingo at The American Legion (classy right?) last night in the Longfellow Neighborhood and overheard a some women talking that one of the women was opening another pizza place across from the chatterbox pub in S. Minneapolis. "Another" would assume they already have one if not multiple locations around town. Anyone know what pizza place this might be and which of the two buildings it's going into? Looks like there is a one story brick building on one corner and another one story gray building on the other.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 23rd, 2015, 11:08 am

I know Parkway is owned by guys, so not them. Could it be DiNoko's long-rumored return to the southside after the failed Haaf Ramp location? Could it be another Ann Kim of Pizzeria Lola? Doubtful, since apparently her 2015 expansion will be in Nordeast.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 23rd, 2015, 1:35 pm

Sorry, don't have info on the Pizzeria project, but I drive through that intersection 2 or 3 times a week, haven't noticed work taking place, but I will take a better look next time I'm there.

I see that some work, roll off dumpster in the parking lot, is taking place or has taken place at the old Taco Bell on East Lake, 4020 East Lake St. Permits have been pulled by Brownsmith Restoration, plans for an addition to the existing building, according to the Minneapolis website. Anyone know about this project? Brownsmith Restoration has been involved in some really cool projects so I have high hopes. East Lake has been progressing nicely these past couple of years.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 23rd, 2015, 2:00 pm

I think that must be Peppers and Fries.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 23rd, 2015, 2:10 pm

Peppers and Fries is in an old SA at 39th and Lake. They should be opening soon, they recently added their sign and removed the boards from the front of the building, showing off the glass garage doors, should be nice in the summer.

I was talking about an old Taco Bell at 41st and Lake across the street from Forage Modern Workshop, Dogwood Coffee and where Brownsmith Restoration's office is, interestingly enough.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 27th, 2015, 9:35 am

I saw 2600 14th Ave S (an old 2-story storefront on the SW corner of 14th Ave and 26th Street) is under some sort of renovation. So I looked it up... it's a 2-unit residential structure that's homesteaded and without business licenses. So, nothing that interesting. But the zoning is M2S, Dbl Dwlg in Storefront. How cool is that? Is that something that is retroactively defined onto these structures? Or is there a way to build a M2S from scratch?