Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Tyler » March 17th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Just saw that Cafe Racer is opening a cafe in the former Donut Cooperative space at 2929 E. 25th Street in Seward sometime this week. One of the better trucks, in my opinion. Great pork and carrot souffle.
Towns!

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » March 17th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Smaller windows actually make sense when you consider these are dorm rooms. There is a housing shortage at MCAD and if they can add beds to the dorms they can provide more housing to students.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 17th, 2015, 4:04 pm

I remember when MCAD bought that building (i think it was blue). They promptly sawed off the sagging redwood balconies leaving the orphan patio doors behind. Those would be replaced with the 'smaller windows'.

I'm surprised they're not simply replacing this whole structure. 1970s construction with water issues? No thanks...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 19th, 2015, 10:55 am

A little bit more info on the old Taco Bell at 4020 East Lake St. from the Longfellow e democracy page:

http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... qV81NAgI1/

and the link that was included in the latest post there:

http://heavytable.com/a-new-diner-on-ea ... -and-more/

They haven't actually ruled out amphibians.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 25th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Anyone have a clue what's being built behind the Loring Car Wash? (24th and lyndale)

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » March 30th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Im not sure whats going in but i HOPE for a Brasa? Seems like they like old garages/car washes and I would love one on the southside.

and I think it 22nd and Lyndale.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 30th, 2015, 2:24 pm

New Hector Ruiz restaurant coming to 35th & Bloomington: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... polis.html

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » April 3rd, 2015, 8:21 am

Social Dance Studio (3742 23rd Ave S) at E. 38th and 23rd Ave S is closing. Apparently the building's owner is increasing the rent. Also the building across the street (2249 E. 38th) which I believe is owned by one of the tenants is looking to sell/lease it. Throw in the Marathon gas station property to the east and there is a lot of potential for something...

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » April 3rd, 2015, 9:05 am

Hmmm sad news but maybe some good will come out of it eventually. This corner certainly has a lot of potential...it would be great if something could be put in to live up to that potential. I live just a few blocks down the road so some more common shops would be nice, rather than specialized places that I'll most likely never go into (lawyer's office, health foods store, hair salon, dance studio, comic book store).

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 3rd, 2015, 9:21 am

Oh, I forgot to mention. I found out what the pizza place is going in across from Chatterbox. It's a Fast Eddie's Pizzeria. Sounds like they used to have another location that closed a while back, they haven't posted on facebook since 2010, however one of the comments lists the new location in November of 2013. It's all very confusing, but supposedly it's happening.

3507 23rd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55407 is the new address.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 11th, 2015, 7:51 pm

That Jackson Hewitt building is really interesting. The chimnies (sp?) are high quality brick work, which leads me to believe the building is actually pretty under all that remuddling.
Just saw that this was the Burma Shave headquarters building from 1925. Yeah, because I watch TPT MN on Saturday nights.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 11th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Also, there's a new tacqueria inside the Winner gas station on 34th/Cedar in case anyone wants a taco fix. @fishmanpet is closest, but I know he's partial to Taco Bell.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 11th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Excuse me, I've been going to Pineda Tacos far more than Taco Bell since I moved. I will go and check that out soon I suppose. Much easier now that it's warm.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 22nd, 2015, 9:21 am

Here is the Anishinabe Bii Gii Wiin project mentioned in the grant documents:
http://www.djr-inc.com/anishinabe-bii-gii-wiin.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 22nd, 2015, 7:53 pm

Apparently the former Walgreen's at 54th and Lyndale is becoming...

an AUTOZONE.

\barf

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 22nd, 2015, 7:57 pm

get in the zone Matt
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 22nd, 2015, 9:43 pm

Lol.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 25th, 2015, 11:27 am

Best Food Market at 3756 Nicollet Ave S closed its doors for good on April 18th. Even though the place was run down and constantly being broke into, it was nice to have a little market like this in the neighborhood.

The space is sandwiched between Kyatchi and Hot Wok, directly across the street from Five Watt Coffee and the upcoming Nighthawks/Birdie. I'm not sure of the exact sq ft'age but it looks about the same size as Kyatchi's space. It'll be interesting to see what goes in here next and if 38th & Nicollet continues to catch up to 48th & Chicago!

Ideas about what might go into this space?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 25th, 2015, 1:42 pm

This whole part of South Minneapolis is sorely in need of a bike shop. I bet one would do pretty well around here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 26th, 2015, 1:02 pm

And a liquor store FFS. Somewhere, anywhere along 38th Street would be great. 38th & Nic would make a lot of sense. 36th & Bryant would be more convenient personally, but either would work.

I believe the issue is you need a certain amount of contiguous acres of commercial zoning (is C1 ok? C2 or higher?) in order to open a liquor store. The nodes along 38th Street are all really small and do not qualify. Everything on 38th is sufficiently spaced far enough away from existing liquor stores (along Lake), so you don't have that problem.

EDIT:
Rules are much looser downtown, but elsewhere, liquor stores must be surrounded by 5 acres of appropriate commercial zoning. They must also be at least 2,000 feet apart, as the crow flies, and 300 feet from schools and churches.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 22693.html

They might've since removed the spacing requirement from a church, but not from schools. Still, 300 feet is less than half a block so most of these business nodes would be just fine. It's the 5 contiguous acres of commercial zoning that kills it. These little nodes are only half block depth (to the alley) and don't contain any larger parcels that help you out with that calculation. Somehow, I doubt "contiguous" includes properties across the street either. They likely have to be literally contiguous 5 acres.