OXBO - 7 Corners Hardware Redevelopment

The Most Livable City in America™
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: 7 Corners Hardware

Postby Wedgeguy » January 17th, 2014, 11:43 am

One also has to remember that an Indian tribe with deep pockets owns this hotel and will likely foot the bill for a majority of the upgrade. With light rail just a few blocks away by street or skyway. This would be a good spot for the IC to test the MPLS market for possible expansion to the other side of the river in the future. There is convention business, state house visitors, plus people that will come just to be in St. Paul. Believe it or not, St. Paul is finally slowly gaining traction on remaking themselves. Probably be another 10 to 15 years before there is a real difference. But look what happened in 5 years in the Mill District in MPLS once those first projects finally got others to look outside the box.

I'm for a limited service hotel in the area, as there are already plenty of restaurants for people to walk to in a 2 block radius.
Hockey fans would be more for this type of facility than a full service hotel.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 17th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Yes, but hotels get reflagged all of the time -- that doesn't mean anything, and it certainly doesn't add any capacity.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't build a hotel here -- but based on everything else I've heard, it does seem a bit ifffy.
Rebranding within the same same corporate structure is significant though. Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental Hotel (and Holiday Inn!) all fly under the IHG Hotels banner.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 17th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Yes, but hotels get reflagged all of the time -- that doesn't mean anything, and it certainly doesn't add any capacity.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't build a hotel here -- but based on everything else I've heard, it does seem a bit ifffy.
Rebranding within the same same corporate structure is significant though. Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental Hotel (and Holiday Inn!) all fly under the IHG Hotels banner.
Thanks you taught me something with this post. I did not know that the IC and the Holiday Inn group were part of the same family. So that could mean that the CP in MPLS is being rebranded to the IC flag.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 17th, 2014, 12:40 pm

This whole "major hotel" rumor seems like a "4Marq getting 4 more floors" rumor death spiral thing.

Dave Thune mentioned that (at some point in time, not necessarily connected with this sale) he heard of possible hotel interest on this block. The pastor of the church was quoted in F&C saying he had heard the same (and I think it's possible he "heard it" from Dave Thune's rumor).

I'm with MNdible. There isn't enough demand for a large hotel here. Then again, I'm biased because I really want to see residential in this area (and all over Downtown St. Paul, and lots of it).

I don't expect anything taller than 6 stories, and anything that height or greater would almost certainly get people barking about "scale" and "traffic", etc. I'm already repeating myself, but simply repeating The Penfield on this block (hundreds of residential units, grocery or retail on the ground floor) would be my ideal redevelopment. Keep the hotel proposals for vacant downtown parcels (Macy's) and surface parking lots.

THERAT
Metrodome

Postby THERAT » January 17th, 2014, 2:12 pm

A while back Dave Cossetta was proposing a residential project where his catering business is.

http://outlook0706.uproperties.com/Scre ... ulCBD.aspx

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 18th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I think it would be worthwhile preserving the 2 southernmost buildings, or at least the facade. That kind of charm is what people come to St. Paul, W 7th for. If they had the whole area of the church and the rest of the hardware store to demolish, that would leave ample space to reconstruct, create a cool hybrid. I understand that's more expensive and developers are rarely that sensitive, but rarely does a preservation project go poorly with the correct amenities. (and it's especially good for the neighborhood aesthetic)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 24th, 2014, 9:44 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 24th, 2014, 9:55 am

Apparently Opus sees hotel demand after all.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 24th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Nowhere does Opus say they're building a hotel. There is only a single instance of the word 'hotel' in that article.
Mixed-use projects typically include some residential component with commercial space. This site lends itself to first-floor retail and a limited-service hotel, according to many development sources I've talked to in the past week.
The Pioneer Press story has no occurrences of 'hotel': http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_2 ... en-corners

I'm not saying they're not, but Opus didn't say they were either.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » January 29th, 2014, 4:46 pm

I wouldn't expect Opus will pitch anything taller than 2 or maybe 3 stories along West Seventh. Also I bet the hotel is a long-shot based upon room rates/occupancies in St. Paul these days.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 15th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Opus considers luxury apartments, hotel and retail at St. Paul site
May 15, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... etail.html

A few more details have come out regarding the redevelopment plan for the former Seven Corners Hardware site in downtown St. Paul. Dave Menke, executive vice president of Opus Development Co. said he's working on a plan to develop more than 220 luxury apartment units, about 20,000 square feet of retail space and a hotel on the site...

...Opus, who is working with ESG Architects on the two-acre development, plans to submit development plans with the city this summer.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 19th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Some shots of the existing building before it disappears.

img_8322-edit by Mulad, on Flickr

img_8327-edit by Mulad, on Flickr

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 19th, 2014, 7:50 pm

So sad, and they've already sold out of their power tools.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » July 29th, 2014, 8:29 am

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... apartments

Opus released their plans for the site... "A six-story, two-building complex combining a hotel, market-rate apartments, townhomes, retailers and up to 300 parking stalls could soon replace the Ace Seven Corners Hardware Store on West Seventh Street."

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2014, 9:02 am

Glad to see this will have less than 1 room per apartment/hotel room. But 300 stalls still seems like a significant amount. Maybe this will provide district parking so more of the surface lots on the corridor can get developed without parking minimum concerns.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 29th, 2014, 11:14 am

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » July 29th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Unimpressed.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » July 31st, 2014, 6:59 pm

I understand why some people would be less than impressed with this project, architecturally it doesn't do anything too interesting or different but overall this is a really really solid project for West 7th and St. Paul in general. And quite frankly how many projects similar to this do anything amazing architecturally anyways? Despite the fact that it isn't great architecturally I think it will fit very well in the neighborhood. There is street level retail along West 7th will be an improvement compared what currently there. And the hotel and apartment complex will certainly add people and energy to an area that could more of each when the Wild aren't playing.

The one thing I would like to see changed in the current plan would be that there is restaurant/bar on the corner of West 7th and Chestnut, directly across from Cossetta's, instead of retail but that is pretty minor. It could even be possible in the current plan. The only other concern I have is the location of the drop off for the hotel, I'm assuming it will be along W 7th. Ideally it would be along Eagle Street but that would present a ton of challenges it's self.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » August 2nd, 2014, 8:15 am

The only other concern I have is the location of the drop off for the hotel, I'm assuming it will be along W 7th. Ideally it would be along Eagle Street but that would present a ton of challenges it's self.
The article says that the hotel car drop off is on Eagle with a pedestrian entrance on 7th as well.

I honestly wasn't envisioning something this big. It will be nice to add more residents to the neighborhood. The design isn't anything amazing, but it's much better than the Holiday Inn on the other side of the street. I'm still not sure why the city let that building go up with that design is such a prominent location. It would be nice to see one section of this project be 4-5 stories taller than the rest. There are plenty of hospital buildings that are 10-15 stories tall in the neighborhood, so there shouldn't be any issues building this thing a little taller and adding an extra 30-40 apartment units.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » August 4th, 2014, 11:35 am

Yet another project that looks like the selected which of a dozen different exterior finishes to put on a given section by throwing darts at a rendering.