The Penfield - (101 10th Street East)

The Most Livable City in America™
Rico
City Center

Re: The Penfield - (101 10th Street East)

Postby Rico » October 29th, 2013, 7:55 pm

I have to agree with those that have said the Penfield will be just fine. The occupancy numbers may not be great now but with Lunds and light rail (a block away) opening next spring/summer and then the Saints stadium and Pedro park eventually this area will be highly sought after. Frankly, it's already pretty hopping with Black Sheep and all the other Rossmor building restaurants and bars (Camp, Key's, Sawatdee and I think a gym and gallery too). It actually has more all packed right together than Lowertown's "Restaurant Row" on 6th. And now a brewery announced it is opening in the Rossmor building: http://minneapolis.eater.com/archives/2 ... t-paul.php

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 4th, 2013, 1:03 am

About a week old:
Penfield Construction by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 5th, 2013, 9:36 am

Wow, it's phenomenally ugly right now, and a little hard to believe it will stop being ugly when it's done. It looks like somebody grabbed some design elements out of a bin and stuck them together. I hope it improves as it finishes construction...

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » November 5th, 2013, 9:55 am

Have you seen it in person? Because in person it is....even uglier than these pictures.

Hopefully with the streetscaping and additional activity around the site, it will stick out less. But I totally agree that this building is a stinker.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » November 5th, 2013, 10:47 am

I walk by this almost every day going to and from Regions. Not a fan either. I think with trees, the upcoming Pedro Park, and some more development around this block, then it will look a bit better. At the end of the day, the additional residents the Penfield will bring is a pro that greatly outweighs the con of this design, and I would even *consider* living there, if I can afford it next year. But yeah, the outside design is certainly disappointing.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 5th, 2013, 3:12 pm

I walk by this almost every day going to and from Regions. Not a fan either. I think with trees, the upcoming Pedro Park, and some more development around this block, then it will look a bit better. At the end of the day, the additional residents the Penfield will bring is a pro that greatly outweighs the con of this design, and I would even *consider* living there, if I can afford it next year. But yeah, the outside design is certainly disappointing.
The benefit of living there is that you'd never have to look at it.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » November 5th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Is there room for restaurants/bars along the southwest side of the building. The sidewalk out front is massive and would overlook the park, perfect for outdoor dining.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 6th, 2013, 7:42 am

Yeah, it just looks so contrived. I remember buildings in college that were 100 years old, and had been remodeled and expanded repeatedly. It reminds me of those, but it's brand new.

EDIT: for my sanity, let's not have anyone post side-by-sides of the original tower proposal and what actually got built.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » February 2nd, 2014, 1:39 am

Lunds opens May 15 -- sounds pretty cool. http://www.lundsandbyerlys.com/Stores/L ... field.aspx

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2014, 11:14 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -date.html
This one almost sounds more like a Byerlys, with the Big Bowl, flower shop, etc. More features that Uptown or Downtown Minneapolis anyways. I've recently visited the Byerlys in Golden Valley and Edina, and was just starting to think I had figured out the difference between the two brands...

nstudenski
Metrodome

Postby nstudenski » May 1st, 2014, 12:19 pm

Tweet from Lunds says about 30% of units are leased. Slow and steady I guess :|

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 2nd, 2014, 8:44 am

Maybe wrong thread, but do we think Village Green management is considering discounts like many others to fill this up ASAP? I'm sure interest will indeed pick up once the new train is rolling.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 2nd, 2014, 9:08 am

Someone who used to post here he said he used to work for a rental agency said that you want staggered occupancy, which makes sense. I've lived in student housing where the entire thing is turning over in a single day, and it's an absolute madhouse. It's better for everybody if incoming occupancy is staggered, I think.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 2nd, 2014, 4:18 pm

I called today - one month free and one free parking spot for a year if you lease now. Not willing to deal on rent.

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » May 2nd, 2014, 4:46 pm

I'm skeptical. There's a report on the city's HRA agenda from 2/12. No direct link available, but you can find the agenda here, https://stpaul.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx

It says they were 18% leased as of 12/30/13. Hard to believe they only leased another 25-30 units over the last four months. I also can't find the tweet from Lunds either.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 3rd, 2014, 3:34 pm

We have to remember that we are talking St. Paul, not the north loop or Uptown. We were skeptical that the apartment building across from the Farmer's Market was going to fly when they first started building. That in the end was over half spoken for before construction was completed. The city really needs to get their act together to get the park across the street completed to help with making this area feel more developed. Now that spring is here and the outdoor spaces can be the make or break wanting to live there. Also, having the grocery store open makes it more of a reality that there is great amenities. This is an easy walk to the Cedar LRT station and also to the Mears Park area of lowertown.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 7th, 2014, 3:42 pm

They've started stocking the shelves at the Lund's. As mentioned before, opening day is the 15th.

nstudenski
Metrodome

Postby nstudenski » May 7th, 2014, 8:09 pm

I'm skeptical. There's a report on the city's HRA agenda from 2/12. No direct link available, but you can find the agenda here, https://stpaul.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx

It says they were 18% leased as of 12/30/13. Hard to believe they only leased another 25-30 units over the last four months. I also can't find the tweet from Lunds either.
https://twitter.com/LundsandByerlys/sta ... 8817602561

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 7th, 2014, 9:02 pm

I heard on the radio today that the lot across the street (someday to be Pedro Park) will get some window dressing with planters and flowers. There was a $30,000 grant. No word on when Pedro Park will materialize.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » May 7th, 2014, 9:32 pm

The lot is currently being prepared for a "pre-park," what's been described as a field of wildflowers, or something to that effect. St Paul, their artist-in-residence, and some college students (from St Thomas, I believe) are working on this project. Part of it is also research, trying to determine what plants can do the best job at soil remediation on city lots. Black Sheep pizza across the street has also signed on to do movie nights in this space. There will be a mural on the side of the old police training building. I think this is a good placeholder until full financing is found.