The Vintage (Selby and Snelling)

The Most Livable City in America™
Snelbian
Rice Park

Re: The Vintage (Selby and Snelling)

Postby Snelbian » January 15th, 2014, 8:09 am

I have a couple updates. The site plans were approved by the Zoning Committee WITHOUT the right hand turn lane in part because very nearly every comment they received from residents and businesses focused on that being a bad idea. Also included was a requirement for community meetings on what the intersections of Selby/Snelling and Snelling/Dayton should look like.

Last night was the first of the community meetings. Residents focused heavily on pedestrian safety. One guy really, really wants a stoplight at Saratoga. Anyway, there will be a Friendly Streets process on Laurel and Hague from Aldine to Ayd Mill in the next couple months and Ryan announced last night that they'll voluntarily fund about a third of it, which is very well received by those neighbors. They also confirmed that demolition of the Getten Loan building and houses north of Dayton will start this month and construction on the new bank building starts in February. That will be finished this summer and demolition along Selby should start immediately upon the bank opening.

Also of note, some residents wanted to know who will pay for intersection changes. Ryan's representative replied that they estimate that the new developments will increase the tax revenue of those blocks roughly ten fold.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » February 13th, 2014, 4:02 pm

The Getten Credit building and a neighboring house north east of Snelling and Dayton are now rubble, construction on associated Bank should start fairly soon.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » February 19th, 2014, 8:23 am

I'm so glad to see Getten Credit go away, and can't wait for the gas station to bite the dust. This development will be a boon to the area.

The city really should create a master plan for Snelling between University and Selby. Maybe one exists, I don't know. Either way, there are a lot of very underutilized or vacant parcels on that stretch that will be seeing redevelopment pressure in the next 10 years. The potential exists to make a pleasant and walkable connection between the Green Line and the Merriam Park area. Exciting.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 28th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Any master plan for this area will get bogged in the politics of Ayd Mill Road. Promptly going in circles getting nowhere.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 26th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I drove past this the other day and the new bank is coming along. The foundation was a poured and they were placing the steel floor supports. Soon there will be a skeleton of the new bank building.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 11th, 2014, 8:19 am

The bank building is now done (I'll try and get a photo soon), should be opening for business this week. Groundbreaking (and ice cream party) for The Vintage is Thursday, though they've been pounding the foundations in for a little over a week.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ned-aug-14

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 11th, 2014, 8:26 am

An employee at Whole Foods said the move to the new location would be in February 2016.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 11th, 2014, 8:30 am

That sounds late to me. Ryan Companies' rep says they want the Whole Foods to be an available amenity when the housing opens up, and last I heard they were hoping that would be late summer or early fall 2015.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 11th, 2014, 2:03 pm

And do we have any idea what will be taking the place of the current Whole Foods on Grand and Fairview, which will be moving to this new location.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 11th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Nothing yet.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 14th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I attended the groundbreaking ceremony this morning. It was nice to hear Tony Barranco from Ryan Companies and Mayor Coleman talk about the positive input and attitude of the neighbors and community, especially given how these things usually go down with neighborhood groups. Whole Foods staff informed me that they have a tentative move in of April 22nd, 2016. A bit later than the October 2015 they had been hoping for a few months ago.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 6th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Demo started for this today

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » September 7th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Of the old bank. Houses and parking came down weeks go and they've been driving piles. Bank structure itself should start coming down in a couple days.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » September 8th, 2014, 7:18 am

From Citizens for a Better Snelling Avenue's FB:
Vintage on Selby construction update from Union Park District Council:
UPDC recently talked with the Ryan Companies Senior Superintendent about the construction. Read on to learn what we found out.
Q&A on the development at Selby and Snelling
What's going on there?
The Associated Bank moved to a new building on Snelling to the north of Dayton. A five-story apartment complex called The Vintage at Selby will be built in the old bank location, attached to a new Whole Foods supermarket. The 420,000-square-foot project includes 210 luxury apartments and a 39,000-square-foot market on 2.5 acres of land. The building will include a fitness center and yoga studio, two rooftop terraces with a swimming pool, grilling stations, a fireplace and a sundeck, all for building residents.
When's the old Associated Bank building coming down?
The process of hazardous material disposal should be done by this weekend. On Monday and Tuesday, the county will review the site to determine that it's safe for demolition. So, if everything goes as planned, the building will start coming down on Wednesday, September 10.
How are they going to take it down?
The building won't be exploded or imploded. They'll start in the back of the property, pulling the exterior walls inward with a crane. Then, backhoes will basically crunch the structure down into the basement, and then reach in and pull it out, piece by piece. The entire process should take about two weeks.
What's that banging noise I keep hearing, and when is it going to stop?
They are driving piles into the ground for soil retention as part of the construction. Day to day on the site, it's hard to predict when it will be happening. They can't drive piles when it's raining hard, and they won't drive piles when they're taking the building down. So, starting Wednesday the 10th, we'll have a break from the pounding for a couple of weeks. Then, after four or five more days of driving, they should be mostly done, although the developer has said we may hear it through October. Incidentally, once the structure itself is stabilized, they will remove the piles.
Is traffic going to be affected during the construction?
Right now, the city is doing water line work along the north side of Selby on the block east of Snelling. That work should be done by the end of this weekend, and the lane on Selby will be reopened. Towards the end of September, water main work under Snelling Avenue just north of Selby will require one lane at a time on Snelling to be closed. That work should last about a week. Moving forward, there may be periodic road closures on Dayton Avenue for concrete pours. The sidewalk on Selby and Dayton Avenues will be closed now through October 2015, and on Snelling Avenue until August 2015.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 9th, 2014, 9:54 am

Of note: The redwood from the outside of the building will be saved and some will be repurposed inside the Whole Foods. When that happens we'll also get a view of the original facade that wasn't stucco pebbled.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 14th, 2014, 3:28 pm

The original exterior of the now demolished Liberty Bank Building:
http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largeri ... n=10828397

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » January 29th, 2015, 11:17 am

UPDC Land Use Committee got an update from Ryan Companies this week. They're in very early talks with businesses on the empty lot at the SE corner of Marshall and Snelling, where the gas station/coffee shop was recently demolished. Right now the best bite they've gotten is...Starbucks. Two very tentative ideas were floated to us, one of which put the new one-story structure on the corner furthest from both streets with a sea of parking in between. That idea did not go over well. The other is on the corner, but is still one-story with the bare minimum lot coverage, a sea of parking, and a drivethru. Better received, but only barely. Committee members and residents were almost universally unhappy with the lack of a second story (or better), the size of the parking lot, and the idea of another Starbucks two blocks away at Selby that wouldn't necessarily close.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 29th, 2015, 11:28 am

The original exterior of the now demolished Liberty Bank Building:
http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largeri ... n=10828397
Great pic!

Reminds me of two that hung on the wall in the little pizza place (most recently Rocco's) I used to work at.

Looking west down Selby, 1962:

Looking east, other side of Snelling, 1932:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 29th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Are you on the committee? I sat at the corner, left of Julie and right of Josh.

The Starbucks proposal was laughable literally.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » January 29th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Oh, hi! Yeah, I'm Colin, I was the first to introduce myself at the start, on Mai's right.