Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Selby and Snelling

Postby mattaudio » August 6th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Think of the parking!

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » August 10th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Updated rendering and article on this project. Via Pioneer Press. http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_2 ... te-upscale

mulad

Postby mulad » August 10th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Hmm, I see a rendering for The Penfield, but that's it.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » August 10th, 2013, 11:51 pm

OOPS your right. Brain fart. totally wrong topic.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 13th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Union Park District Council land use committee meets tonight at 6:30 at the police station across Hamline from Midway Target. We'll hear about the new Cupcake, get an update on the Selby Snelling PID proposal, and see the first site plans (and hopefully renders) from the Ryan Companies architects. Open to the public, turnout is expected to be high.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 14th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Article form MSPBJ with a rendering:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... foods.html

It has a similar feel to 222, but that might have to do more with the Whole Foods than anything else.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 14th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Seems pretty nice for the neighborhood, nice set back, will depend on final material usage I guess. Some Inset Balconies!!! for the uber critical ;)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 2:16 pm

It's going to be an excellent addition to the neighborhood, regardless of what anyone thinks of the architecture. Hopefully NIMBYs (using that term correctly, I believe) don't **** it up. I kind of see this development as a litmus test for St. Paul (both neighbors and policymakers) to see if they're ready for the kind of growth and development Minneapolis has been experiencing. This one is just different than anything else happening in St. Paul. It's not on the Green Line, it's not Downtown, it's not a vacant/derelict site, and it's right in the middle of an established business district and neighborhood. Perhaps this is over-dramatization, but I feel like this project is kinda like St. Paul's version of the Opus Dinkytown development.

I foresee considerable pressure to downsize the # of units, increase the # of parking spaces, kill it entirely, etc. in the coming months, even if the Union Park district council supports the project.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 15th, 2013, 10:29 am

Initial rendering of the project from MSPBJ article:

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 15th, 2013, 10:52 am

The mixed-use development now has a name - The Vintage on Selby. Some of the architects told me that more renderings will be available in the next week or two when the city gets them. Entrance and cafe seating on the corner itself is now confirmed. The facades are varied across the length of Selby, with various brick sections, a 'metal paneling that will imitate bands of stone' on the three upper floors, and a more modern section that contrasts with the rest where residential lobby is. Rooftop community garden plots are also official. In the rendering above you can see a space set aside for public art, probably a mural like the one on the current Grand Ave store.

Some questions were asked about affordability. The design team did a pretty good job of going over the current rental market and vacancy rates as well as emphasizing that this is not just for students and there are no furnished units. Rents will probably range from $1,000 to $4,000 a month.
It's going to be an excellent addition to the neighborhood, regardless of what anyone thinks of the architecture. Hopefully NIMBYs (using that term correctly, I believe) don't **** it up. I kind of see this development as a litmus test for St. Paul (both neighbors and policymakers) to see if they're ready for the kind of growth and development Minneapolis has been experiencing. This one is just different than anything else happening in St. Paul. It's not on the Green Line, it's not Downtown, it's not a vacant/derelict site, and it's right in the middle of an established business district and neighborhood. Perhaps this is over-dramatization, but I feel like this project is kinda like St. Paul's version of the Opus Dinkytown development.

I foresee considerable pressure to downsize the # of units, increase the # of parking spaces, kill it entirely, etc. in the coming months, even if the Union Park district council supports the project.
So far the real outrage seems to be about Ayd Mill and parking meters on Hague. Very few people were asking questions about the actual development. A few voiced approval of the design, including many of the Citizens for a Better Snelling Avenue crowd. The design of the new bank building is less popular with neighbors because they believe it's too modern and clashes with the surrounding architecture. Some neighbors expressed support for that design as well, though.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » August 15th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Who is the design firm? Did Ryan bring Humphreys & Partners from Dallas in on this project too?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 16th, 2013, 10:52 am

I don't remember, unfortunately.

Zoning change applications are in. Right now there are a handful of zones on the two blocks between Marshall and Selby, with RM2 and B2 in the south and B3 and RM2 in the north (also VP, which I believe is staying as is but I'm not positive). Ryan is requesting that be changed and simplified to TN2 north of Dayton and TN3 south of Dayton.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 26th, 2013, 8:52 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » September 27th, 2013, 9:06 am

The Villager has a somewhat contradictory pair of articles on the development in this week's edition. The first talks about things going along smoothly, with approvals for zoning changes and conditional use permits granted, with minimal public comment. The second has a headline that implies a brewing fight over traffic and parking because of the development, but the article is actually kind of tame -- the district council wants the city to conduct a traffic study of Ayd Mill Road. It is unclear to me if the new development is specifically being targeted by the NIMBY crowd.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 27th, 2013, 9:17 am

They have done countless study for the Ayd Mill Road, Dust off the half dozen or more that are already there and just update a few numbers. They gripe about extending AM to 94, but piss more about the traffic on Selby and Snelling. The old " Having their cake and eating it too". Mayor Mark Kelly did the city a favor when he opens AM to 35E. IMO
Last edited by Wedgeguy on September 28th, 2013, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » September 27th, 2013, 8:54 pm

First, the district council isn't exactly asking for a traffic study of Ayd Mill specifically related to The Vintage. Plans for a new study and the formation of the council's Ayd Mill Task Force were under way when the development was announced. But the council does want that study. Some neighbors, especially on Hague for some reason, have been flooding meetings with demands that the routine traffic study that will be undertaken for The Vintage be extended to Ayd Mill. So far I've seen no evidence that we're actually going to recommend that to city staff, and I doubt many of us would vote to do so. But we have asked for a separate study that would not impede The Vintage.

Second, the articles refer to separate meetings of separate groups. The really contentious meetings with high attendance have been the Land Use Committee. Only three neighbors showed up to the Board Meeting that recommended the zoning change, and something like two went to the zoning board meeting that approved the zoning change most recently.

Finally, it's important to remember when reading The Villager that Jane seems to dislike development in general, I know for a fact she's totally dismissive of the parking proposals, and she also consistently overemphasizes negative public reaction at meetings.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 2nd, 2013, 8:51 pm

Snelling, Selby development has some neighbors worried about traffic, parking:
http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_246 ... ried-about

Snelbian
Rice Park

Re: The Vintage (Selby and Snelling)

Postby Snelbian » December 4th, 2013, 10:20 am

The land use committee voted to approve the site plan last night with requests for further discussion and studies regarding the Snelling/Dayton intersection design, traffic at Saratoga, and potentially Snelby itself. I say potentially because it's being decided behind doors that are closed even to some committee members, apparently. Public Works now wants to remove the bumpout on the northeast corner to add a dedicated right turn lane from Selby onto Snelling north so they can move more cars at the expense of pedestrian safety. Since we're looking at hundreds of new residents, a major shopping destination, potential parking lots on the other side of Snelling, and a set of recommendations already put forward and agreed to in the Snelling Multimodal Study, a motion was made to add a condition guaranteeing implementation of the multimodal recommendations for pedestrian safety. This would have had the bonus effect of halting discussion of the right turn lane and hopefully ending it as incongruous with preexisting plans and goals. The bumpout is already in place and has been for some time, so there will potentially be a degrading of existing pedestrian safety infrastructure. There was no second (shocking to me considering the number of committee members "dedicated" to walkability), and instead we are likely to have a recommendation that we hold yet another round of community discussion about the intersection without any mechanism to really effect any change. I'm not angered by the vote at all. Nope.

UPDC Board votes tonight, there will be a Zoning meeting on the 12th. Public Works will recommend approval contingent on the addition of the pedestrian polo lane.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2013, 10:46 am

Can't they wait until the Hamline bridge reopens before making any rash decisions? Seems like traffic flows much smoother from Ayd Mill to Hamline to St. Anthony/University Aves much easier than it does from Ayd Mill to Selby to Snelling. If anything, there should be ramps for Hamline to/from west 94 braided across the Snelling ramps before there's any talk about turn lanes and de-pedestrianizing Snelby.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 4th, 2013, 2:18 pm

The Hamline bridge is open.