Onyx Apartments - 6725 York Ave - Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Onyx Apartments - 6725 York Ave - Edina

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 16th, 2013, 4:08 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... tml?page=2

Few details yet, but Lennar Multifamily has acquired the parcel across York Ave from Soutdale just South of 67th Street (where there used to be a home furnishing store and is a Halloween store in the Fall).

I'd say that considering the proximity to the small bungalows/ranch homes across the Edina border to Richfield behind this site there likely won't be anything too tall here, unless it was bunched up right against York (highly unlikely). These very same residents have blocked other prominent projects along York, including one that I was very excited about for condos on the York side of the Target parkig lot. I'd expect something similar in scope/scale to the project just South of here where the new CVS was built. I'm hoping for something different, but that's what I'm expecting.

The article says we'll find out more details by next week! :D

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Lennar Multifamily Project (near Southdale)

Postby Anondson » August 16th, 2013, 5:05 pm

The objections to heights on York at this date is just understandable. I mean, just down York about three blocks from this are very tall apartments, twelve stories?

I think though that the height objections for recent projects were because they were on through streets into their neighborhoods possibly bringing extra traffic into Richfield. This project has zero access into or out of Richfield like the projects that were lowered in heights. If something came up that put 7-8 story heights adjacent to York, but tapered off to 2-3 story heights on the Xerxes border with Richfield, that could even fit in well with the Richfield side of the property.

It pleases me that this will be right across York from Southdale's currently under construction transit station.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 17th, 2013, 11:22 am

Edina should not approve this project unless they also plan to acquire the four houses that front Xerxes. I don't think connecting 67th Street here would be the worst thing ever. I wouldn't require it, but it couldn't hurt.

Edina should allow for whatever height they want to right up to Xerxes (Edina-Richfield border). Richfield's comp plan actually calls for medium density housing on the Xerxes-Washburn blocks from 66th to 70th. If and when that redevelopment ever happens, that medium density level will serve as a buffer between the taller Edina stuff and single-fam neighborhoods.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 17th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Meh, I'd like to see something happen with those Edina homes on Xerxes, but I don't think it needs to be part of this if it would just incentivize more ugly whole-block construction.

Something is like to see in this vicinity is for the ol' Best Buy site sitting vacant, traffic in and out Southdale Circle is a challenge. When the Best Buy site is developed, love to have Southdale Circle cut around just north of the restaurants over to Xerxes, closing off the northern France Ae entrance to Southdale Circle, and move all Best Buy redevelopment out to the edges of France and 66th.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 19th, 2013, 9:12 am

^^^
I was getting confused, I'm assuming you mean York, not France.

I don't understand why you would want to open up these streets back to Xerxes, keep the single family homes separate from the retail sector. Keep the heavy traffic on the main street, don't move it to the side streets. Keep in mind there are very few sidewalks in that neighborhood.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 19th, 2013, 5:27 pm

^^^
I was getting confused, I'm assuming you mean York, not France.
Yup, I had France Ave on the brain and it slipped in. I meant York.

The thought with closing the north portion of Southdale Circle to York, and routing it to Xerxes is because the old Best Buy property already has access for cars through. Xerxes is heavily used by cut through traffic, even savvy parkers will park on Xerxes to access Cub and the other shops in that strip. IMO, if spill onto Xerxes is a concern, I think we could angle Xerxes like Edina did with Halifax in the 50th and France in order to direct drivers away from attempting a cut through.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 19th, 2013, 6:51 pm

I re-read the article from BizJournals and it said that the development is likely going to be stick built and no taller than 6 floors. I think that sounds about right.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 19th, 2013, 6:54 pm

That's about what I'd expect as the lowest resistance type of development. There is an well used template to quickly slap that up too.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » August 26th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Project is 6 stories, 273 units, ESG design.
Updated BizJournal story here -->
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... edina.html

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » August 26th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Interesting there is space for a grocery tenant when there is a Cub next door and a remodeled Byerlys and a Whole Foods store down the street.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 26th, 2013, 3:46 pm

These are going to be some pretty big boxes, a lot 'chunkier' than I thought they'd be. I'm curious about the retail also; "Market" can mean a lot of things though, not just grocery.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 26th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Interesting there is space for a grocery tenant when there is a Cub next door and a remodeled Byerlys and a Whole Foods store down the street.
Right....not to mention a Super Target (with Grocery), Trader Joes, and Rainbow -- all within a 2-mile radius of this location.

The only place in the metro area that would be even close to deserving this many grocery-type stores would be somewhere near downtown, which has the population density to better support so many grocers.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 26th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Grocery will not last long in this development. Not sure what would be a good fit in that retail space. I'd say more on the term of service industries, cell phones, drycleaners?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 26th, 2013, 6:53 pm

A company that staffs grocery delivery drivers!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 26th, 2013, 7:30 pm

The slideshow shows the development seemingly going all the way to Xerxes. Huh. So the homes behind it are slated for acquisition to do this?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 26th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Townhouse units on the Xerxes side, parking lot on York.

http://edinamn.gov/edinafiles/files/Adv ... I_%20A.pdf

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 26th, 2013, 9:05 pm

And two sidewalks linking Xerxes to York through property, and what must be a residential drive thru of sorts for cars to get from York to Xerxes by car and delivery truck. I can complain about that but I believe that will get picked on by neighbors on the Richfield side...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 26th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Doesn't look like townhouses to me, just grould level units with walkups. Page 15 of the PDF shows 6 stories with a minimal setback from Xerxes. I'd guess that this, along with the commercial access to Xerxes, could make approval unlikely.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » March 11th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 11th, 2014, 9:25 pm