Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby mattaudio » October 7th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Yes, put up some bollards today (except for the half blocks where the right hand lane has to accommodate right turns) and 3rd Ave can have dedicated bus lanes. By next week.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 7th, 2015, 4:24 pm

With Nicollet closing next year, there will be no N/S bike facility of any type between Hennepin and 4th Avenue. That's unacceptable. I want a fast bus ride too, but I want to survive my bike rides too.

Maybe instead of trying to shoehorn in bus lanes, maybe we should wonder why the four dedicated bus lanes a block over are already so full that they can't handle any local buses.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 7th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I've heard from reliable sources that the Nicollet Buses will be moving to Marq2 next year. I don't know if it'll be the bus or general purpose though.

Like was said before, we need a protected a N/S protected bikeway in the heart of Downtown. It's not just something that's "nice".

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 7th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Like, moved there for good, or just for the duration of the construction?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 7th, 2015, 6:19 pm

For construction.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 7th, 2015, 10:33 pm

That section of 3rd is used for an awful lot of queuing for show vendors at the Convention Center. I wonder how that will be accommodated considering the crappy network of streets over there.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2015, 7:37 am

If the median wasn't there or could be reconfigured, that section of 3rd could easily handle a wide semi-compatible parking lane, three traffic lanes, and cycletracks. There's really no reason for the four lane divided stroad config between 12th and I-94.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2015, 8:10 am

Bill Lindeke weighs in on St. Louis Park's awful and legally incorrect walk-shaming video.
http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2015/ ... it-depends

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 8th, 2015, 4:20 pm

I've heard from reliable sources that the Nicollet Buses will be moving to Marq2 next year. I don't know if it'll be the bus or general purpose though.

Like was said before, we need a protected a N/S protected bikeway in the heart of Downtown. It's not just something that's "nice".
If so, it would seem to be a big mistake. Taking the 17 into work, all of the time lost getting through downtown has been on Marq2. Once the bus jogs over to Third it's smooth sailing.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 8th, 2015, 4:58 pm

If so, it would seem to be a big mistake. Taking the 17 into work, all of the time lost getting through downtown has been on Marq2. Once the bus jogs over to Third it's smooth sailing.
Wouldn't they be going the opposite direction?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 9th, 2015, 10:58 am

Do you mean running with regular traffic or with the express buses?

I just know that right now, the blocks on Marquette going into downtown and Second while going out of downtown are the slowest part of my commute. Third is a relative breeze.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 9th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Minneapolis Public Works is planning to remove the brand-new refuge islands along 26th and 28th Streets. They'd rather see motorists drive into walkers and bikers than have motorists driving into concrete. Email the council and everyone you know to put a stop to this removal plan. More details at Minneapolis Pedestrian Alliance. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405160856444695/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 9th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Lives are worth more than scratched bumpers

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 10th, 2015, 6:26 am

Huh. Aren't the refuges doing their job if cars are in fact hitting them? If they weren't there drivers would be hitting people.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 10th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Oh hey Lisa found out and is trying to put a stop to this.

Sad that Cano has no pull with public works anymore. I really don't like going over her head for every infrastructure related thing in the ward, but it's basically the only way to make things happen.

Sent from my phone

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 12th, 2015, 7:38 pm

More info on 3rd Ave protected lane

http://www.mplsbike.org/city_proposes_e ... e_downtown

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 13th, 2015, 8:05 am

I take issue with PW's insistence on a 5-lane 3rd Ave section at Washington. AADT is 10-11k on either side, with PM peak hour N/S counts in the 700-900 range, most of them going straight. Nicollet at Franklin (which has way way way more going on with the bus stops, pedestrians crossing, bicycles sharing travel space, multiple curb cut entrances for businesses, etc) operates just fine with a 3 lane design with similar traffic counts (though *some* drivers use the bus pullout areas to turn right). Lyndale at 36th has higher counts and a similar design to Nicollet but fewer peds (though the gas station adds complexity). I only bring those up because I'm very familiar with both of them as a driver. Anecdotally, when I get off the 94 at the HCGC (or leave from City Hall from a meeting) and catch a NR home, I always feel this whole area is far over-built.

Further, Washington is slated for reconstruction with cycle tracks. A full Dutch-style protected intersection should be a huge priority here as a crossroads of bicycle infrastructure. 3rd/Central (especially if the bridge is re-decked with bikes in mind in a couple years) is one of the biggest NE-DT connectors. The city has an opportunity here to really put bikes (and by extension, pedestrians) first at this corner. These are the tough decisions we're going to have to make moving forward. We may not always be able to add quality bike infra without degrading 2030 LOS for motorists unless we're willing to knock down buildings to widen the right of way.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 13th, 2015, 8:20 am

YES! This should be the one of the first locations for a protected intersection.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 13th, 2015, 8:35 am

I was on a walk and talk with Bike/Ped Coordinator Matt and he explained some of the issues there. The reason they're not willing to go below 5 lanes is because they're convinced cars will back up across the LRT tracks during rush hours.

Assuming that 5 lanes is a requirement, there's no space for a protected intersection without taking away ped space, which is unacceptable since it's already narrow. Also, the SE corner of that intersection was reconstructed this year with a new building, so there'd be a lot of duplicative spending to rip out all that infrastructure again.

Personally, I think they could make this safe if there was a period of intense block the box enforcement at the LRT intersection after construction was finished. Maybe they could just do some general block the box enforcement for all of Downtown while they're at it.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 13th, 2015, 9:04 am

Did the Lat45 construction ever shut down a lane at this intersection? I can't recall (I'm pretty sure there was one closed for construction on the 4th Ave side for awhile), but if so, it would have been a good natural experiment as to whether the extra lane really is needed.