MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: MSP Airport

Postby talindsay » February 15th, 2014, 6:58 am

DCA is the only airport I'll use to fly into DC - the others mean some horrible slog in from gods know where. It really *isn't* a transfer airport - already operating at the capacity of its runways and having the flight restrictions it has, one would think they would actively discourage its use as a h u b, but I suppose every city in the country wants a flight to DCA which means it's possible to use it as a hub even if it wasn't designed that way.

Personally I love DCA though - utility aside, the design of terminal A is so representative of the era of its construction. I'm not an impartial judge though because some of my fond childhood memories involved going to DCA (in the era where security checkpoints were a metal detector and a guy looking to see if you were Irish) to pick up my grandparents when they flew in to visit. Still, I think DCA is one of the finest examples of DC's style during the era of the bureaucracy's rapid expansion.

BTW, why is h u b being filtered?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 15th, 2014, 8:20 am

DCA is designed for O/D traffic. MSP is designed for connecting traffic.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 15th, 2014, 9:20 pm

BTW, why is h u b being filtered?
Ah, forgot about airports, nvm...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 23rd, 2014, 7:28 pm

Air Force One is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday at 12:50 PM.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 12th, 2014, 7:28 am

I find this to be awesome. I really think we have one of the best airports in the country. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -room.html

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 17th, 2014, 8:01 am

Here's a map that shows MSP's international flights.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MSP-YYZ,+M ... -STT&MS=bm

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » March 17th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Cool but Regina, Saskatchewan is missing.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 17th, 2014, 4:03 pm

good call! Thanks max

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 17th, 2014, 4:04 pm

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 18th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Just went to Vegas for the weekend. It just amazes me how MSP is light years better than all of these other major airports. I have also been to Miami, JFK, LGA, Philly, Reagan and Nashville lately. And none of them even come close to our airport. They have done a really nice job with their renovations.

web

Postby web » March 18th, 2014, 11:01 pm

which terminal in vegas? trminal 3 reminds me of humphey in minnesota massively large for the limited flights

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 19th, 2014, 8:40 am

Interesting, because my experience flying Southwest for the majority of non-work travel for the past couple years (companion pass, woohoo) shows Terminal 2 at MSP is highly crowded. It has only been slightly eased by the recent addition of a second security checkpoint and more restaurants at the northern end of the concourse.

web

Postby web » March 19th, 2014, 8:23 pm

well after 4pm the 4 times I have been there,they have the second security area closed and the entire area to the left of the main security(the sun country and iceland gates area basically roped off). Southwest flies in packs.....a bunch of flights (3) come in all at once and then they leave all at once. Compared to lindbergh its a cakewalk. security lines were less than 5 people long at H compared to maybe 30 at L.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 19th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Yeah, I think it can vary pretty widely at Humphrey. The last time I flew Sun Country, they had a warning in the email itinerary that people should plan for extra time to get through security, because one of the checkpoints was closed for construction. I got there early (not as early as they recommended, but earlier than I normally would have), and literally walked up to the TSA agent at the checkpoint with zero line.

Also, if you take transit to Lindberg Terminal and aren't checking bags, use the skyway security checkpoint above the Transit Station. I have never seen more than a handful people in line there, mostly airline crew and employees. There is not a way to get dropped off there by car, although I suppose you could take the Hub Tram backwards from the drop off area. Especially handy if you are departing from the A, B, C or G Concourses.
My flickr photos.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 19th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Also, if you take transit to Lindberg Terminal and aren't checking bags, use the skyway security checkpoint above the Transit Station. I have never seen more than a handful people in line there, mostly airline crew and employees. There is not a way to get dropped off there by car, although I suppose you could take the Hub Tram backwards from the drop off area. Especially handy if you are departing from the A, B, C or G Concourses.
You're supposed to keep this secret, dude.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 20th, 2014, 8:30 am

-1. Secret.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » March 20th, 2014, 8:50 am

Every time I go through skyway security, there's at least 200 people in line. And I think the TSA puts their trainee/least experienced people there, it's always complete chaos. :)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 20th, 2014, 11:26 am

Oftentimes we'll take the tram from the light rail to the Delta counters underground, check our bags, then take the tram back out to the skyway checkpoint. It's usually a much better choice. We have only encountered a longer-than-usual line at the skyway checkpoint once out of maybe a dozen times. Which is the polar opposite of the main security checkpoints in the main terminal area. So even if you have checked bags, there are ways to still take advantage of the "secret passageway for savvy travelers". :)

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » March 21st, 2014, 9:59 am

Security Checkpoint 10 does not exist. ;)

Neither does the underutilized "drop off" zone that takes you directly down to the underground Delta checkin area where you can also take the tram that doesn't exist. :lol:

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 21st, 2014, 10:10 am

I have no idea what you're talking about.