Rochester

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Rochester

Postby mattaudio » May 5th, 2016, 10:14 am

This also opens up (as expected) the opportunity for a transit backbone in NW Rochester to the 55th St NW Transit Center to the old railroad ROW on Valleyhigh by way of 31st Ave NW...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10tckL ... sp=sharing

mulad

Postby mulad » May 5th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Hmm. That map is only showing me two empty untitled layers. Does it have pieces that are linked to other maps that don't have public permissions?

Edit: Maybe you meant this one?

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 7th, 2016, 10:45 am

The Post Bulletin released an article talking about Rochester's multifamily housing developments...
The city of Rochester's Department of Building Safety in 2015 processed building 33 multifamily permits for projects valued at a total of more than $142 million. Those projects included 1,156 new living units
Prior to 2015, an average number of new units per year would have been about 150 . . .
In the first four months of 2016, the building department had already issued another five multifamily permits for 401 new housing units. The projects are valued at more than $47 million
The article goes further and lists all of the recent projects, and their development statuses.
11 are under construction
9 are planned

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 1d6b6.html

mulad

Postby mulad » May 9th, 2016, 3:39 pm

I've been doing a series of posts about the city block structure of places around the state, and Rochester is one of the subjects in my most recent article. Green (and yellow and darker red) blocks are the areas with smaller block sizes, with a more walkable layout -- even if they may or may not have the destinations and pedestrian infrastructure to support it.

blocks-rochester-2016-03-23 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 9th, 2016, 9:57 pm

Some big news for the Saint Mary's area of Rochester, as a $100 million dollar development project was just announced as being in the works.
The project would include a 13 story mix-use residential and commercial tower, overtaking The Brentwood and Ray-Mar Motels that currently sit on the location (thank god too). The tower would feature 359 housing units with 310 of those being luxury apartments and 49 being townhouses, and 20,000 square feet of commercial space (13,000 of which will be on the street level).
The Pompeians and Alatus have been working on this plan for about two years. They now are brining it to the city for pre-development meetings, follow by the approval process. If everything goes well, they could start clearing the site for construction sometime this summer or early fall. . . This is the first major project pitched for that area since the implosion of a proposed Holiday Inn hotel complex late last year. . . However, these developers are optimistic, after getting positive feedback from the Folwell, Kutzky and Historic Southwest neighborhood associations

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 0d992.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 9th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Ha! I recognize this! I saw someone from ESG working on this in Sketchup at one of the recent Committee of the Whole Planning Commission meetings. I was looking at it for the longest time trying to figure out where it was. Had it narrowed down to either Rochester or Mankato.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 10th, 2016, 11:35 am

I remember that corner being the Blondell (sp) Hotel. I'm not sure what one of the above mentioned it's called now. Been many decades as I used to deliver to it. I really like the proposal and hope it goes through.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 20th, 2016, 10:35 am

Rochester continued growing in 2015, adding nearly 900 people to reach a population of 112,225 in 2015, according to U.S. Census estimates released this week.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 8852c.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 24th, 2016, 1:32 pm

The Buckeye apartment project got a name change to "Ovation". Apparently neighbors felt the name was disrespectful as the builders tore down the old Buckeye Liquor building to make room for this apartment building and the developer listened to their concern.

http://postbulletin.typepad.com/kiger/2 ... ation.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 24th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Here's an interesting article about the Kahler Grand Hotel in downtown Rochester.
A Hotel on the Cutting Edge John Kahler was a visionary and innovator. When he built his new hotel in 1921, it wasn't just a hotel, it was also a hospital. There were surgical suites on the top floor and recovery rooms below. Add those to comfortable guest rooms, the finest restaurants and shopping and you had a hotel that towered above the rest, literally. Then, in 1929 when Northwest Airlines began to offer regularly scheduled flights at the new Rochester Airport, Kahler Management saw another opportunity. Soon Northwest opened their City Office in the Kahler Hotel. Anyone could come in buy a ticket, but only kahler guests could have their bags picked up at their room and delivered straight to the airport. Guests could then check in at the office, hail a McGoons taxi, and after a short trip walk through the passenger depot and right to their waiting flight
http://www.postbulletin.com/life/lifest ... c021d.html

steve0257
Block E

Postby steve0257 » May 25th, 2016, 11:53 am

Oops. That's going to set the project back a bit. Construction halt because of structural defects.

From the article. "This is no simple patch. It is a structural issue," said Building Safety Director Randy Johnson. "This is a load bearing center span with three stories above it."

http://www.postbulletin.com/business/st ... d2bd6.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 25th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Good, this developer builds crap. Same developer who built the new apartment building across from Menards at 65th St NW.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 25th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Yeah, I can't say I've been impressed with their work. That new apartment building on the north side of town across from Menards looks really cheaply made.

The Post Bulletin released an article today talking more about the possibilities of a tunnel "subway" system around the Saint Marys campus similar to the downtown campus.
The group decided to break the effort into a few phases, with the city taking the lead on data gathering. At this point, we have gathered information related to the possibility for a tunnel (connecting Saint Marys with hotels on the north side of Second Street), including some variations and we have calculated and validated street capacity. . . In addition, we've tried to put some dollar figures together to be able to give everyone an idea of what the public improvements might cost. The next step is to meet with hotels in the area, share what we've learned, and gather input.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... e14bd.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 26th, 2016, 12:46 pm

A newer rendering of the Bloom Capital project along the Zumbro Riverfront.
Proposed Bloom Capital project in Rochester, MN by Matt Steele, on Flickr

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 26th, 2016, 1:43 pm

"Bloom details $200 million proposal to activate Rochester's downtown riverfront"
The street level would include space for retail and restaurants, while the upper floors would be used for more than 100 "high-end, contemporary" condos, as well as apartments, parking, office space and a 4-5 star hotel. . .The proposal, still in its conceptual phase, would activate the riverfront with restaurants, public green space and expanded access to the water. Plans also call for an indoor winter garden, ice rink and a waterwall for children to play in.
There's also a presentation video in the article regarding projects and news regarding other DMC projects.

http://www.themedcitybeat.com/news-blog ... 00-million

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » May 27th, 2016, 2:39 am

Is it just me, or is that beyond ugly?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 27th, 2016, 5:55 am

I think it's the rendering. It's a little bulky but in a really cool way, it seems kind of sci fi futuristic with a splash of brutalism.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » May 27th, 2016, 6:27 am

Your description, "bulky", "sci fi futuristic", is what came to my mind also. Although I've never pictured the sci future in shades of beige. I guess I just like clean, simple designs (think LPM Apartment building in Loring Park).

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 27th, 2016, 7:38 am

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 21d95.html

I don't mind the bulk in a way because you need bulk to block that ugly Holiday Inn disaster.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 27th, 2016, 7:42 am

However, I just noticed yet another parking-bridging-a-road between the tower sections. I realize they want a boatload of parking, but I really hope that aspect gets changed.