Minneapolis Armory

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minneapolis Armory

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » August 8th, 2015, 12:55 pm

It is not out of the question to build a skyway link into the Armory but - as it stands - it would be from a parking ramp on one side (which might not be engineered to accommodate such a purpose) to a Juvie detention center on the other - and from there the morgue. [This feeds into one of my "whines" about how the Metronome never attracted business when in fact the City of Minneapolis 1) closed off entertainment and related business development dollars from the dome area in favor of Hennepin Avenue (a justifiable decision in itself) and 2) surrounded the dome by city and county construction building programs (including a morgue and 2 jails)]. But I digress.

Maybe a skyway from the new apartment complex that ties into the WF complex? There is also the idea that skyways could be moved below grade in certain areas - leading to the Viking Stadium along the new park.

The big new draw, it seems, is the Armory's ability to be fully repurposed to tie-in to the new park by creating a northern facing access to accommodate that new environment for entertainment that builds off/adds to the park experience. The challenge would be to create such a north facing access that maintains the integrity of the Armory preservation requirements. In the summer, theater or music in the park and, in the fall, urban "tail-gate" parties leading to the game experience - a party central. There seems to be some real potential here.

I remember being in the Reserves back in the 80's and it was rickety and substandard for actual work purposes then. When "redone" the Armory will not be used for military purposes and, hence, when factoring in the upgrades/updates and remodel of the Armory, it should be done with the recognition that it will be fully repurposed. The historical preservation considerations will most certainly take that into consideration - along with its best purpose moving forward.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » August 8th, 2015, 1:23 pm

I went to Apple Maps and then to Google Maps and tried to find a way to capture an image of the back of the armory (the north facing wall) but could not figure out how.

With the assist of a a good architectural firm with a sound preservation background, that wall looks very well suited to take on such a role as noted above.

Anyone know how to capture such an image?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 8th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Here ya go https://goo.gl/maps/jIHdg

Snipping Tool and Imgur)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 11th, 2015, 5:09 pm

ImageDSC_1202 by grant.simons, on Flickr

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 13th, 2015, 11:47 am

From the Vikings Stadium aerial webcam it looks like fresh copper is starting to go on the roof near the front of the building. Hooray!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 15th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Hopefully all this brick work pays off

ImageThank you again Ned Abdul by grant.simons, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 16th, 2015, 7:23 am

I'm sure that this will help both with esthetics and with weather intrusion. I've been building where much larger sections have had to be retucked and in the end looks great. Moment of truth will be when they decide on the new windows and how they fit in with the old theme.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 15th, 2015, 4:44 pm

New windows are being put in on the 5th St side, they may be on the 6th St side as well but I just saw when I passed by on the train.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 18th, 2015, 1:35 pm

ImageDSC_1782 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1781 by grant.simons, on Flickr

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » December 18th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Thanks for posting those pictures! What a beautiful building. It's probably my favorite since I was a kid. My Dad went to many Lakers games there back in the day and I love hearing the stories. I'm so glad it is getting refurbished and those windows look great. Should be there for another generation at least.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » December 18th, 2015, 5:59 pm

It would be pretty cool if the Timberwolves played a preseason game vs the Lakers there. Likely will have to file this in the "things that should happen but don't happen for no particular reason" folder.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 19th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Apparently this isn't a local historic landmark? I'm at the HPC meeting now, and it just came up for local designation.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 19th, 2016, 4:56 pm

It might not be listed in the city but I believe it's on the National Historic Registry.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 19th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Right. They passed a motion to begin a study.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 19th, 2016, 5:13 pm

To begin a study? I wonder how much that will cost... shouldn't anything on the National Historic Registry just automatically be put on our local registry? That sounds ridiculous.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 19th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Oh goodies - more good use of tax payers's money. Why even both at this point? The building is being rehabbed and likely won't be torn down any time soon now.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » January 20th, 2016, 7:14 am

Being listed on the National Register of Historic Places does not mean something is protected from destruction. Maybe the city designation is meant as added protection for the building in the future. It's true that the rehab would seem to indicate the building is safe, but as we know a few decades may pass and things may change.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » January 20th, 2016, 7:28 am

Further, when the Armory was listed in 1985, a report would have been prepared describing the structure and its history. The city's study would not need to cost a lot because it will reference that previous study.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 20th, 2016, 8:34 am

Being listed on the National Register of Historic Places does not mean something is protected from destruction. Maybe the city designation is meant as added protection for the building in the future. It's true that the rehab would seem to indicate the building is safe, but as we know a few decades may pass and things may change.
As I understand it, it does actually. Minnesota has a state law, anyone familiar?, that states any structure that contributes to the national history of our country shall not be destroyed. I believe that law was created in 1995 to save the armory, it's the same law we used to save peavey plaza once it was on the national historic registry.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » January 20th, 2016, 9:37 am

As I understand it, it does actually. Minnesota has a state law, anyone familiar?, that states any structure that contributes to the national history of our country shall not be destroyed. I believe that law was created in 1995 to save the armory, it's the same law we used to save peavey plaza once it was on the national historic registry.
Well weird - so it is (the cases are referenced on Wikipedia). haha. I'll amend my post to say that being listed generally doesn't mean it's protected...unless there's another law that's specifically protecting the site. ;)