Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis

Postby xandrex » April 22nd, 2015, 12:08 pm

He and the MLS have both said they want to build in an urban area. That really leaves areas near downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul. So he doesn't have too many choices.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 22nd, 2015, 1:06 pm

If Minneapolis balks and Bloomington played ball (pun intended) with the land by the Mall of America, you'd have a stadium there in a heartbeat.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 22nd, 2015, 3:47 pm

It was noted last year that McGuire met with Bloomington’s mayor. But I don’t recall hearing that MOA was either in on the discussion or had any interest whatsoever in selling land. And even if Bloomington were possible, how anxious is McGuire to tell MLS that the urban paradise he’d seduced ‘em with ain’t actually happening?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 22nd, 2015, 4:00 pm

If Minneapolis balks and Bloomington played ball (pun intended) with the land by the Mall of America, you'd have a stadium there in a heartbeat.
Not to mention the question that why MOA owners would want to forgo adding more retail, but instead building a (publicly subsidized through some fashion) soccer stadium? And the City of Bloomington doesn't own any land there, and they've already used subsides to pay for road improvements. It's either 555 (MOA owners) or McGough (Bloomington Central Station owner) that would have to be a willing 'partner' with McGuire, and I don't see that happening, even if Bloomington were willing/able.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 22nd, 2015, 4:22 pm

You want to hate a soccer stadium so badly that you're really grasping at straws. Do you really think the team would be willing to spend $230 million in franchise fees and stadium development costs only to drop everything because their first choice for a location didn't work out?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 22nd, 2015, 4:44 pm

LOL at $100 million franchise fees in a league where most of the teams aren't even valued at $100 million. A team just evaporated in the second largest market in the country. McGuire hasn't spent a dime on a stadium. So his investment is what he paid for the current MN United.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 22nd, 2015, 6:45 pm

LOL at $100 million franchise fees in a league where most of the teams aren't even valued at $100 million. A team just evaporated in the second largest market in the country. McGuire hasn't spent a dime on a stadium. So his investment is what he paid for the current MN United.
Curious as to which market just folded?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 22nd, 2015, 7:07 pm

Chivas USA, a "sister" of a popular Mexican team, had an absentee owner for years and never recovered from its initial branding as a team for Mexican-American fans, so MLS kicked them out after this past season. However, a new ownership group plans to relaunch the team with new branding and a new stadium in 2017 or 2018.

Chivas was the secondary tennent at StubHub Center in Los Angeles, where the Galaxy plays. Meanwhile, the Galaxy is the league's most valuable team. I believe Forbes values them at $250 million.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 22nd, 2015, 8:07 pm

I saw $160 million for the Galaxy. $176 for the Sounders, the teamed valued the most and arguably the most successful plays on field turf in an NFL stadium.

Mexican fans grew tired of the hallmark dump and chase style soccer for which the U.S. is known.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 22nd, 2015, 8:27 pm

meh. Forbes valued Red Bull NY at $115 million in 2013 and $250 million in 2014. Its mostly BS.

But the fact remains billionaires are fighting over the right to pay that expansion fee. Were you the one who questioned that earlier? Either way, my advice is the same -- stick to facts rather than lols, omgs, and assumptions.
Towns!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 22nd, 2015, 9:52 pm

What facts are you bringing up? Something an MLS PR flack said? If McGuire plans on spending $250 million so he can have a team play in 20,000 seat stadium 17 times at MLS type ticket prices, he must not understand the entertainment market. Based on facts verifiable by third parties, i.e. media deals, player salaries, attendance, seating capacity, television ratings a Minneapolis based team is not worth anywhere near $250 million. There is literally no down side for The MLS to fib about expansion fees. It's a talking point for rubes, and helps owners feel cooler (big reason why they do it). The Star Tribune would be ecstatic to get more content for their most popular section. Sports Illustrated isn't going to do an exposé. It's logical to question if it's real. To reiterate I find no reason to believe anyone would pay $100 million for the privilege of starting an MLS team in the Minneapolis market.If someone can find evidence beyond what an MLS spokesperson said to a friendly media person I would like to see it.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 22nd, 2015, 9:55 pm

Well it literally doesn't matter at all whether or not you believe anyone would pay $100 million for the privilege of starting an MLS club in Minneapolis, because somebody has agreed to pay $100 million for the privilege of starting an MLS club in Minneapolis.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 22nd, 2015, 10:13 pm

There is plenty out there to confirm NYCFC's fee. In two minutes of searching:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ueens-team
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... -mls-team/
http://www.espnfc.us/story/1455830/man- ... n-new-york

But keep writing your posts in such an authoritative manner. My loins are aching at your display of knowledge.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 22nd, 2015, 10:21 pm

Someone has said they've agreed to pay $100 million. Unless there's some proof beyond them just saying it?

I don't really care one way or the other if the franchise fee is 100 yen or 100 million dollars, but I'm still gonna call out bad logic when I see it.

And those articles about the NYCFC are about them exclusivly, I didn't read them that closely, but I didn't see them saying that it was now a standard franchise fee (it did note that was much higher than paid a few years earlier). In fact, it seems to imply that the fee was so high because of the size of the market. And none of them are really confirmation of anything, as they seem to all be reporting a number that was thrown out, not investigating the number.

Again, whatever, I don't care, but, ugh, whatever.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm

Being skeptical is fine. You can choose to believe that the entirety of soccer reporters in this country have been duped by MLS. But I think the burden of proof shifts to you a bit if you are going to make the kind of definitive statements mplsjaromir is. Which is really whats so annoying about his posts. They contain zero substance. Just bluster and condescension.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 22nd, 2015, 10:38 pm

Has anyone dug into the $100 million number or just repeated it?

If you wanna go all Wikipedia and say "cite your sources!" then fine whatever, but "lol no" isn't really a strong counter argument.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 22nd, 2015, 10:44 pm

The point is not that its exactly $100 million. Its just an estimate. But the recent confirmed numbers are: NYCFC at $100 million. LA2 $110 million. Atlanta and Orlando $70. These are the numbers reported everywhere by those who have "dug into it." People are paying a lot for MLS franchises. I know -- OMG MLS conspiracy (they actually paid in Baht).
Towns!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 23rd, 2015, 7:32 am

Totes McGoats!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 23rd, 2015, 8:15 am

It's not like Dr. McGuire would ever knowingly and grossly misrepresent his material interest in an organization.

Would he?

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » April 23rd, 2015, 8:34 am

So how much will the beers cost here?