St. Louis Park - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Jay Wiser
Block E

Re: St. Louis Park - General Topics

Postby Jay Wiser » May 19th, 2015, 10:15 am

Quick question about a construction project I haven't heard about anywhere: Wayzata Blvd, the frontage road at the southwest corner of I-394 and Hwy 100. It's been closed for several weeks. Any idea how much longer it will be closed and how long until it's open again?

Thank you!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 19th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Could this be the start of work on the additional construction for Central Park West (at West End)? See the following topic.

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3648

Or I heard they closed off some of the frontage roads due to "cheaters" going around the detour for the Hwy 100 construction.

Those are my best bets.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 1st, 2015, 8:42 am

Minnikahda Vista resident upset that development might possibly start creating traffic they don't approve of at certain times of the day. Somehow thinking that by limiting traffic at a couple parcels near the Minnihada Vista neighborhood will drop traffic caused by the many thousands of cars driving from far outside through to a destination far outside.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2015/05/31/lett ... ic-levels/

Yes, levels on Wooddale are tough. But it's like they aren't aware of what levels were like fifteen years ago. Or what levels would be like were Quentin intentionally made horrific so as to make people drive to Wooddale.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » June 1st, 2015, 10:36 am

Are levels on Wooddale particularly high? Looks like 2800 ADT between 42nd 1/2 and 44th. The segment closer to Excelsior isn't even on the MSA system, so no numbers from MnDOT there, but presumably less than 2800 ADT. That's considerably less than Edina's segment of Wooddale from 50th to Valley View (~5000 ADT).

I think the problem at Excelsior/Wooddale isn't an absolute number of users, but a staggeringly inefficient, complicated, and ped-hostile design for the entire TH 100/Excelsior/Wooddale/Park Center interchange. Whenever I'm there, I literally spend half the time wondering who, if anyone, has a green light.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 1st, 2015, 11:30 am

The length of the light changing is ... long. It tends to build up a long line of cars waiting. Plus, right now the people finding alternatives to TH 100 is rising. That's far more a problem than the couple apartments. Writer conveniently didn't mention.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » June 1st, 2015, 2:25 pm

The length of the light changing is ... long. It tends to build up a long line of cars waiting. Plus, right now the people finding alternatives to TH 100 is rising. That's far more a problem than the couple apartments. Writer conveniently didn't mention.
Yes, I think it would be better to assess after this year's construction is completed. Heck, perhaps the supersized new bridge at Minnetonka Blvd will "induce some demand" away from the Excelsior/100 bridge.

It also seems that some relatively cheap retrofits with flashing yellow arrows would speed things along. I think especially WB Excelsior to SB Wooddale could benefit from a flashing yellow arrow -- except it might turn to a red arrow when the NB TH 100 ramp has a protected left cycle to to turn right.

Or just build a super-sized roundabout. Clockwise: Excelsior (west leg) / NB entrance ramps / Park Center / Excelsior (east leg) / Wooddale / Utica / Vernon / NB exit ramps. :D

papazim
Block E

Postby papazim » June 2nd, 2015, 7:02 am

The closure of Wayzata is due to the final work on the MCES forcemain sewer project. It should be completed and reopened by the end of next week (June 12) and maybe even sooner depending on the weather.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 2nd, 2015, 7:03 am

Thanks Jesus. I was trapped in the West End last week during evening rush with no way out!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Jay Wiser
Block E

Postby Jay Wiser » June 2nd, 2015, 9:18 am

The closure of Wayzata is due to the final work on the MCES forcemain sewer project. It should be completed and reopened by the end of next week (June 12) and maybe even sooner depending on the weather.
Thank you for the update, papazim. Here is a link to the project map. The planning page has a construction notice, but no info about the construction this year.

At any rate, very happy to hear the end is in sight.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 19th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Office building next to West End sold for almost $15M.

"The new owners of 5353 Wayzata Boulevard plan to spruce up the hallways of the 35-year-old building and "give it a little kiss" to make sure tenants are happy and stable, Vannelli said."

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -sold.html

Jay Wiser
Block E

Postby Jay Wiser » June 19th, 2015, 2:59 pm

The Wayzata Blvd frontage road is open again. Just drove on it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 25th, 2015, 6:57 am

Four Firkins is abruptly going out of business on Saturday: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... op-is.html

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 25th, 2015, 7:06 am

Four Firkins is abruptly going out of business on Saturday: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... op-is.html
8 months after they ran an indiegogo campaign to open a new store in Oakdale. I'd be pissed if I gave money to that.

They were also an oddly placed business. The St. Louis Park store was a little difficult to get to, and I don't even know how to get to Oakdale.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 25th, 2015, 7:13 am

Their business plan worked when the big liquor stores only carried major brands. But now every liquor store I go to has more beer selection than Four Firkins did the last time I was there, and for less.

I am amazed that they are not honoring gift cards. That's horrible!

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » June 25th, 2015, 11:54 am

Toby Keith's at West End Closed. Not too surprising. Was never too many people in there when I went by

https://twitter.com/BrettHoffland/statu ... 5142722560

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 25th, 2015, 11:57 am

I went there once (against my better judgement). It was terrible. Yard House is directly next to it, and is better in every way, including a patio.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 25th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Good riddance.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Anybody in the market for a second-hand mechanical bull?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 25th, 2015, 3:58 pm

They are looking for a place to reopen downtown Minneapolis.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... space.html

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 25th, 2015, 11:19 pm

If there really a market DT for a country western bar/restaurant? I know Cowboy Jack's seems to have good business. But I think they have very different business models. Jack's plays off the proximity of the Twins stadium and somewhat Target Center and the LRT with sports bar like features. Not sure if the cowboys of the exburbs will come into the city to help keep TK afloat DT.

This makes for another turn over of an original restaurant from the originals that opened with the opening of the West End. Is there an original restaurant left that was opened when it was first built. Are the rents too high, or is there not yet that market concentration in the area of customers. Will adding all the apartments really help these eating establishments? Why the problems with eateries in the West End?