Add a LIKE and DISLIKE button!

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
Lancestar2

Add a LIKE and DISLIKE button!

Postby Lancestar2 » August 24th, 2012, 5:05 pm

It has been suggested before in several threads but thought id finally write an official suggestion for the suggestion box!

Also perhaps a Agree/Disagree would be a nicer way of using it... I think it would be a nice quick way to get a better sense of what people agree with and disagree with I'm not sure how easy or hard that be to code but I think it would be worth it what do you think?

ADMIN EDIT: Please discuss this plugin: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=513

twincitizen

Re: Add a LIKE and DISLIKE button!

Postby twincitizen » August 24th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I "dislike" this.

This is a discussion board. UrbanMSP will succeed or fail on participation. Lurking is fine and all, that's just how some people roll. I feel that a like/dislike or thumbs element would decrease the quality of discussion going on here. I'd rather see people contribute, and explain why they agree or disagree with something.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » August 25th, 2012, 4:10 pm

What about a karma system where you can give karma to those whose opinions you generally agree with? There is something to be said to the simplicity of the board as-is, but it could be nice to reward those who are generally great contributors.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » August 25th, 2012, 9:32 pm

I often read through the forums and wish I could "like" someone's post, or find a different post that I generally disagree with....

But, I have several argument as to why I don't think we should institute any such like/dislike system:

*Simply "Liking" a post makes it easier to be a non-participant on a site that is based around open discussion. Eg. Rather than saying, "I like the setback in that new rendering." and generating new conversation, someone may just click like and move on to the next thread.

*Adding a "Dislike" button only promotes poor forum etiquette. If a reader feels they need to express their difference of opinion with a post they should be willing to write out a response, not simply bash others' ideas with the click of a button.

*This is more of a personal preference, so feel free to "Dislike" this... In many ways "Likes" dumb down content (has anyone looked at the top "apps" in the appstores lately, or for that matter logged how much time they've spent playing AngryBirds?). I appreciate being able to quickly express my interests and disinterests as much as the next guy, but when we're trying to generate substantive threads I think we all just have to work at it. :mrgreen:

My vote is for:
simplicity of the board as-is

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 27th, 2012, 2:23 am

"LIKES" this idea
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 27th, 2012, 3:50 am

"LIKES" this idea

ah so there is some support for it :) ...also I noticed that most responses state they LIKE or DISLIKE the idea so a bit of irony id say. I don't think simply adding a LIKE/DISLIKE button will start to dumb down content although I do see your point...

Perhaps instead you could have (like you suggested) a "Karma button" and you could give out "Karma Stars". As it may encourage people to be more respecting of others because people will eventually start to rate each user at there ability to get positive feedback. (aka Karma Stars) Which would be a good way of identifying trolls and people who may not have the best forum etiquette

Of course the effects of that too could be negative or positive, and yes perhaps it's a bit elementary school but perhaps it would be a simple way to give recognition to the members who go out of there way to post some really great feedback! and a great way to identify who was little to no credibility :|

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 1:11 pm

What about a mod that auto-summarizes selected users posts?
Towns!