Forum Maintenance & Technical Issues

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Posting

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2014, 9:11 am

Why do so many people on this forum hit "Quote" instead of "Reply" to reply to the person directly above them? It's super annoying.

If you're responding to an earlier post, or need to clarify which part of a post you're replying to, by all means use the quote function. But if you're just straight up replying to the most recent post, then sweet baby jesus just hit "Reply".
^ Yep. And you can always start with a ^ to make it clear that you're responding to the post above.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 5th, 2014, 9:20 am

But what about when it carries over on to a new page?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 5th, 2014, 9:39 am

When it carries over to the top of a new page, then yes, please do use the quote feature. I've actually gone back and edited several posts to copy in the quote at the top of the page, for a more seamless conversation. In fact, I just did that for mattaudio's post above, since my post was at the bottom of the last page.

I mean, it's not the end of the world or anything, but it gets annoying when you see the same people do it for every single post. It seems that for a few posters, "Quote" is their default option. So this was really aimed at those few repeat offenders.

Also, please don't quote photos. People other than me have actually complained about that over the 2.5 years of the site's existence.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2014, 10:14 am

The purposes of quoting other posts in the same thread... 1. Pulling out specific info out of one short post to which you want to reply. 2. Replying to a post in the thread that is not inline with the current flow of the conversation.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 5th, 2014, 10:48 am

The purposes of quoting other posts in the same thread... 1. Pulling out specific info out of one short post to which you want to reply. 2. Replying to a post in the thread that is not inline with the current flow of the conversation.
I guess I am one of the repeat offenders. It simply never occurred to me that always quoting is a huge problem. Thsat's standard procedure for e-mail conversations, for example, even when you have a threaded e-mail reader (which I think everyone does by now).

I quote because I want to respond directly to specific points. I almost always edit the quotes to focus the conversation (blind full quoting is a no-no on e-mail too). As a side effect, I don't run into trouble when I go to submit the post and someone else has slipped in a post before I did. Yes, I could edit my post and insert the quote at that point but AFAIK there's no "add quote" button when you're editing a post. It's just more convenient to start off with a quote structure and edit it as needed.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » December 5th, 2014, 1:15 pm

^ What he said.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 9th, 2014, 8:56 am

Why do so many people on this forum hit "Quote" instead of "Reply" to reply to the person directly above them? It's super annoying.

If you're responding to an earlier post, or need to clarify which part of a post you're replying to, by all means use the quote function. But if you're just straight up replying to the most recent post, then sweet baby jesus just hit "Reply".
^ Yep. And you can always start with a ^ to make it clear that you're responding to the post above.
To be clear this doesn't work because in settings you can decide if you want the most recent posts first or last and for those of us who have them first the arrows ate always pointing at the wrong post.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2014, 10:26 am

To be clear this doesn't work because in settings you can decide if you want the most recent posts first or last and for those of us who have them first the arrows ate always pointing at the wrong post.
But it seems to be preferable to quoting.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 9th, 2014, 11:04 am

Why?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2014, 11:10 am

Why?
I don't know.

Edit: I can only nest three quotations? That totally kills the effect.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 9th, 2014, 11:13 am

I wish the form didn't automatically nest quotes, because I think that's a huge contributor to quote bloat.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 9th, 2014, 11:50 am

If the President can write JavaScript, we can expect forum posters to understand and edit BBCode. /s
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 9th, 2014, 1:35 pm

The only time quoting is really an annoyance to me is when somebody quotes a photo — or an entire string of photos.

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » December 11th, 2014, 1:48 pm

I don't what all the quoting hoopla is about. Just be respectful about it and don't quote someone's autobiography that was one post above.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 11th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Right: That's exactly what I was saying.

Wrong:
I don't what all the quoting hoopla is about. Just be respectful about it and don't quote someone's autobiography that was one post above.
That's exactly what I was saying.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 11th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Wrong:
I'm going to pre qualify this as a little overboard, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Ok post Nazi.

thanks for establishing a right and wrong. I'm glad that an Internet authority has shown up to show us the way. Now we can establish how much of an Internet failure we all are by some general standard.

Honestly WGAF. Is it costing the site money for space or are you just slightly inconvenienced. Our human brains are more than capable of skipping over things we know we have seen without even a thought. How often do you look at side bar ads? This whole thread has been a waste of life.

All people have different and personal styles and races and opinions and Communication Styles. Just deal with it. There is like the weirdest form of discrimination on this forum.

You don't just get to tell people what to do because you generally think you're correct. It's obnoxious.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 11th, 2014, 6:00 pm

I too am offended when people make reasonable requests in a cheeky manner.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 11th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Wrong:
I'm going to pre qualify this as a little overboard, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Ok post Nazi.

thanks for establishing a right and wrong. I'm glad that an Internet authority has shown up to show us the way. Now we can establish how much of an Internet failure we all are by some general standard.

Honestly WGAF. Is it costing the site money for space or are you just slightly inconvenienced. Our human brains are more than capable of skipping over things we know we have seen without even a thought. How often do you look at side bar ads? This whole thread has been a waste of life.

All people have different and personal styles and races and opinions and Communication Styles. Just deal with it. There is like the weirdest form of discrimination on this forum.

You don't just get to tell people what to do because you generally think you're correct. It's obnoxious.
That is indeed obnoxious.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 29th, 2015, 8:45 pm

General note: I'm changing the time on editing your own posts to 30 minutes as there appears to be a lot of retroactive editing of several day old and older posts...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 30th, 2015, 8:19 am

That's a good idea and has been a feature on other forums I've used. For any editing needed beyond 30 minutes, you can PM a mod to make changes (grammar, factual corrections, add context, etc.)