Forum Maintenance & Technical Issues

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
Ottergoose
Metrodome

Re: Forum Issues

Postby Ottergoose » January 15th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I suspect logging into phpMyAdmin and optimizing the database would help. The vast majority of resources that you'd have to worry about here are going to be the interactions with the database.

I'm a web developer but have very limited experience with the admin side of this platform; I am comfortable in the LAMP environment and would be happy to poke around and assist in any way that I can.

Googling "phpBB optimization" had several promising results. I'd imagine there's a lot of extra records in the database tied to old/inactive users that could be cleared out.

Attachments should have little to nothing to do with the problem at hand.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Yay for it (maybe?) not being my fault! I haven't been able to get a hold of our fearless administrator yet, but I'm comfortable paying for whatever until we get it all straightened out. We kind of knew this would be an issue eventually, but I don't think we thought it'd happen this quickly.

For comparison, Minnescraper was around for about six years, we've been around about six months. We have about a fourth of the total posts already, and as of today (no doubt brought about by the new registration requirement) we have just shy of the total number of registered users. And speaking of which, with that much stuff on it, even Minnescraper as a ghost site must chew up a ton of bandwidth somewhere. I wonder what ever happened with that...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mrcity

Postby mrcity » January 15th, 2013, 9:30 pm

If money for hosting is the issue, I have a tech company with several leased servers, and we can probably host it for free....shoot me an email to my profile address if interested.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 15th, 2013, 9:38 pm

1. I was kind of curious why you always attached pictures rather than hosting them for free somewhere else, but figured "hey it's your site, you must know what you're doing!" ;)

2. I still think it's bizarre that there's no advertising when users are logged in. I don't think it would be that detrimental to the user experience to have to look at a few banner ads. Just no pop-ups, please. Whatever can be done so I don't have to pay actual money for this, just suck it out of my soul by advertising penis pills or something.

3. Give me "View Active Topics" or give me death! (aka commenting on Strib articles)

mulad

Postby mulad » January 15th, 2013, 9:43 pm

I'm seeing ads while logged in using the Frozen Phoenix theme -- well, after I disabled my ad-blocker (*cough*)

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2013, 9:47 pm

1. I was kind of curious why you always attached pictures rather than hosting them for free somewhere else, but figured "hey it's your site, you must know what you're doing!" ;)

2. I still think it's bizarre that there's no advertising when users are logged in. I don't think it would be that detrimental to the user experience to have to look at a few banner ads. Just no pop-ups, please. Whatever can be done so I don't have to pay actual money for this, just suck it out of my soul by advertising penis pills or something.

3. Give me "View Active Topics" or give me death! (aka commenting on Strib articles)
The ads should appear when you're logged in, it's just that most of us (including myself) have adblockers so we don't see them. Which almost seems like stealing...not from us, but from whoever the ads are sold to. Shawn and I had talked about moving towards actual advertising deals--throw a PNG file for the Nic and 5th or Elan of Uptown up on top of the page, and leave it there for a month, or whatever. We do pretty well search result-wise when you look up most local projects. Even a general search for something like "loring park apartments" or "uptown development" usually has us in the first couple pages.

Of course, that opens up a whole other can of worms with any perceived conflicts of interests or whatever.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » January 15th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Call bluehost an tell them your problem

Use it for years at well under $100 / year

DO back up system- Perhaps others would use the files if they want to host

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 16th, 2013, 4:59 pm

This conversation is still marked as unread... though I've read it...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » February 6th, 2013, 10:14 am

It appears that the search feature is turned off. Is this permanent with the new server as well?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 6th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Search is back on now. Per Shawn, having that on actually chews up a lot of bandwidth. But we should be fine with the new server.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ivesetsail
Block E

Postby ivesetsail » February 7th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Howdy, recently registered to the forum. When I'm logged in I can only view the site in the mobile format. I don't believe there is access in the mobile settings feature to change the default board view. Links to switch from mobile to full board style are ineffective. Help?

ivesetsail
Block E

Postby ivesetsail » February 7th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Figured it out. Never mind.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 8th, 2013, 10:04 am

When I go into a forum, I see the icon telling me there are new posts since my last visit. However, I'm unable to go to the first unread post. Am I just missing something, or is that feature now gone?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 8th, 2013, 6:53 pm

search.php?search_id=unreadposts

Bookmark that link and you won't need to fumble through the forums to seen what's been going on.

edit*
Oh wait, now I see, the little box next to the name takes you to the newest post, not the last unread....
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » February 9th, 2013, 2:27 am

Viewing the forums (not the main page, but viewforum.php) in Firefox with a minimum font size of 16 or larger now results in everything being shifted way off to the right. This didn't happen before yesterday or today.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » February 12th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Still happening?

twincitizen

Re: Posting

Postby twincitizen » February 12th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Is there a way to prevent photos from showing up again when people quote other users? Other than asking nicely that they not do that?

Look at the Nicollet-Central streetcar thread to see what I mean...that same damn photo shows up like 4 times.

On that note, is the auto-thumbnailing feature going to make a return? Or was that exclusive to the ProSilver theme?

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » February 12th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Still happening?
Yes.

Screenshot with min. font size 15 (mostly OK): http://buserror.net/images/min15.png
Screenshot with min. font size 16 (shifted): http://buserror.net/images/min16.png

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » February 13th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Very weird. This is how I test the site: http://browsershots.org/https://forum.streets.mn/

Do you see your broswer/OS combination on there? If so, what does it look like? It may have something to do with the OS side or a plugin as that is not an issue I have ever seen before.

Shawn
Site Admin

Re: Posting

Postby Shawn » February 13th, 2013, 3:07 pm

I tried to fix the issue and failed. It may just be beneficial to gently prod people in that direction (just delete the image from the quoted text). At the moment, I cannot figure out how to do this besides by installing the mod, which doesn't work on this theme.