DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
writruth
Nicollet Mall

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby writruth » March 26th, 2013, 11:51 am

If The Strib did move it's offices to Block E, it might also lure WCCO or another local television news station to move it's operation to the site, creating a synergistic print and broadcast media center. The existing brown cladding on the outer surfaces of the building, could easily be replaced by modern glass. Perhaps a water element to reflect our status as The City of Lakes might even be a design option that could be included.

Such a facility could be a natural fit for the entertainment district as the news and entertainment operations conduct local broadcasts and sports specials looking out onto Hennepin and First Avenues. There could be facilities for live outdoor news, talk, and sports broadcasts. The proximity to Target Center, Target Field and the Theater District would be a natural fit for sports and entertainment broadcasts. There might even be an opportunity to build a Minnesota news museum that could itself become a destination.

Adding WCCO, rumored last year to be on the look out for new digs, to the mix would also open up space on Nicollet Avenue for a future super block-size Target Headquarters. The development dominoes are fascinating to watch tumble.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I can't understand why WCCO wants new digs after they invested so heavily in their whole building within the past 5 years. One thing that would not surprise me, however, is if CBS decided to combine the radio and TV operations into a single newsroom and facility.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 26th, 2013, 1:27 pm

I can't understand why WCCO wants new digs after they invested so heavily in their whole building within the past 5 years. One thing that would not surprise me, however, is if CBS decided to combine the radio and TV operations into a single newsroom and facility.
I agree that I can not see WCCO moving their TV after spending a s**t load of money on the facility upgrades. Their present studio locations on Nicollet are must better than anything they would try on Hennepin. Hence, mall beautiful, Hennepin a big trash can. Who wants to see the ugly side of Hennepin each night on the news.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 26th, 2013, 1:45 pm

One of the reasons that a media company has always intrigued me for Block E is that, in theory, the news is a nonstop operation. I say "in theory" because the Star Tribune probably has a pretty barren graveyard shift, but with a few simple tricks to the facade — a news ticker, some active signage — the building could easily give the perception that it is constantly active, that is is constantly connected to the pulse of what is going on in the world.

An "entertainment district" in reality has to be more than strictly entertainment venues, such as restaurants and theaters, and I think the Star Tribune would be much more likely to contribute to the 24/7 active atmosphere in the area than, say, an ad agency.

In addition, while I feel like WCCO might be a stretch (it seems like they have a pretty primo location right now), this area around Hennepin could very easily become a mini hub for local media. The Associated Press already rents office space from the Star Tribune, and given their similar infrastructure needs it's not out of the question that they would continue to rent in the same building. In addition, Fox Sports North recently moved to offices just down the street, and some of the studios are visible from the outside. It's kind of apples and oranges, but the Minneapolis/Southwest Journal is right there as well.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 26th, 2013, 2:07 pm

While having a news ticker would certainly address some animation to the street. HAving offices at street level is not going to get us to want to come and look for hours inside the windows to see what is going on. PEople walking around desks. Not like a few live broadcast like CCO. I could see the Strib on the 3rd or a possible 4th floor, But Block E is a lynch pin on the entertainment district, so we need bars, restraunts, and galleries to keep people wanting to be on the street. You have dead on the city Center side of the street, you can't have than on the E Block side also.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 26th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I think everyone who has said they would like the Strib on block e has also said or it was basically implied that they would like the street level to remain retail space...which I believe is Bob Lux's plan, last we heard. Yeah, there should definitely be retail space on (most of) the street level...even if it takes a while to fill.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 26th, 2013, 2:58 pm

There needs to be things happening on 7th and 8th besides blank walls.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 26th, 2013, 3:07 pm

I don't think anybody is advocating for street level offices. I thought that was implied.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2013, 3:31 pm

twas

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 26th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Well I wouldn't necessarily be against street level offices as long as it wasn't the whole length of the building and they were open spaces. I always kinda like being a creeper and poking my head into WCCO's windows and seeing whoever at their desk. Don't you want to watch Sid Hartman typing on his typewriter?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 26th, 2013, 5:08 pm

I think everyone who has said they would like the Strib on block e has also said or it was basically implied that they would like the street level to remain retail space...which I believe is Bob Lux's plan, last we heard. Yeah, there should definitely be retail space on (most of) the street level...even if it takes a while to fill.
Yes, having the street level be retail space for restaraunts, entertainment venues, etc. is what I would like. I don't think it would be appealing at all as office space. That should be located on higher floors.

MS3

Postby MS3 » March 26th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Target tower is coming.. WCCO is on the run. The only question is "how tall", and when. I know one thing for sure- a 1000+ foot tower on this block would make a statement for Target. They can't go wrong. A skyline is the fingerprint of the city- and Target has the power to own that print.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 27th, 2013, 12:28 pm

^As long as they don't end up like Sears and their iconic tower.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 27th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Hard to keep track of this thread -- we've spent a good chunk of the last few pages discussing Block E (not the Star Tribune blocks) and now, if I'm following, we're discussing how Target is likely to build a new tower on Nicollet and 10th (also not the Star Tribune blocks). Anyway...

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » March 27th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Thank you. I thought we were jumping around a bit when glancing over things.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 27th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Hard to keep track of this thread -- we've spent a good chunk of the last few pages discussing Block E (not the Star Tribune blocks) and now, if I'm following, we're discussing how Target is likely to build a new tower on Nicollet and 10th (also not the Star Tribune blocks). Anyway...
I'll admit the Target portion was confusing, but the speculation regarding block E was directly related to The Strib as well as the Strib land. I'd rather have a directly related tangent for a while than a new thread for everything related to it.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 28th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Nice blog post about Downtown East from the Daily Planet:

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog/anony ... ntown-east

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 23rd, 2013, 10:52 am

Was looking at the new Amazon.com Headquarters in Seattle... something like this would be an amazing use of these blocks...Image

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 23rd, 2013, 2:14 pm

That's over 3 million SF of office space though...But you're right, the area could be anchored by 1.5 million SF of space for Wells and a couple of larger apartment/condo towers and it'd have a similar look and feel.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 23rd, 2013, 2:17 pm

And it's the headquarters for a booming tech company, not back-office space for a bank.