DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
frenat
City Center

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby frenat » May 14th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Also of note- the Armory will now be directly on the park. Which certainly makes it even more intriguing for redevelopment
Won't it still be separated by 5th st/LRT?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 14th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I seem to be the one person who thinks they missed the boat on this one. This honestly looks like someone took the older portion of the WFHM campus, doubled the size and added a twin. I'm quite disappointed. The scale seems odd to me also, but that could be the angles. I would like to see an overhead shot as well as one from Washington to get a better perspective.
I was hoping for something with a little more modern look to it. We'll see; even they admitted this is likely to change a little, especially the residential portion.
I don't disagree to a point....but Ryan is not known for *nice* developments; for them this is nice. A residential *tower* of about 40 floors and it would've been a home run IMO.
I will admit I'm a bit bummed there wasn't that one signature 40 story residential tower as well... 300 total residential units is nice but it would be great to see much more than that. I can't imagine the market for apartments/condos in/near downtown will be slowing any time soon, especially with this park opening up soon.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 14th, 2013, 1:03 pm

really? wouldn't ryan be the developer for any new target tower? supposedly our new tallest building being hyped on this board for weeks.

i don't have a problem with this development. to see downtown east transformed by 2016 is a development miracle imo. and the city risk appears to be minimal.

i wonder why the star tribune couldn't occupy some of this office space. i hope wells fargo commits.

gobezlij
City Center

Postby gobezlij » May 14th, 2013, 1:03 pm

It is amusing that two of the properties that border this showpiece park are a jail and a juvenile detention center.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 14th, 2013, 1:08 pm

I seem to be the one person who thinks they missed the boat on this one. This honestly looks like someone took the older portion of the WFHM campus, doubled the size and added a twin. I'm quite disappointed. The scale seems odd to me also, but that could be the angles. I would like to see an overhead shot as well as one from Washington to get a better perspective.
I was hoping for something with a little more modern look to it. We'll see; even they admitted this is likely to change a little, especially the residential portion.
I don't disagree to a point....but Ryan is not known for *nice* developments; for them this is nice. A residential *tower* of about 40 floors and it would've been a home run IMO.
Let's think on the positive side.. the shorter buildings facing the park leaves the blocks to the north as prime places to build even taller- to get a view of said park

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 14th, 2013, 1:09 pm

The reason I would like to see a view from Washington is that I've got a feeling this is going to look like a 2 block long 15 - 20 story wall. In effect, closing off downtown from the Guthrie area.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » May 14th, 2013, 1:15 pm

really? wouldn't ryan be the developer for any new target tower? supposedly our new tallest building being hyped on this board for weeks.

i don't have a problem with this development. to see downtown east transformed by 2016 is a development miracle imo. and the city risk appears to be minimal.

i wonder why the star tribune couldn't occupy some of this office space. i hope wells fargo commits.
Whoever said Ryan is the builder of the proposed supertall? They are referenced as having one on the drawing board from 2006.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 14th, 2013, 1:17 pm

I think someone took a lot of drugs and forgot to share with us so we could understand their fantasy. This is not a way to get real estate back on the payrolls for taxes.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 14th, 2013, 1:18 pm

really? wouldn't ryan be the developer for any new target tower? supposedly our new tallest building being hyped on this board for weeks....
I have not heard anything about a new Target tower other than speculation of one a few years down the road. There are other projects in the works that are much farther along though.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 14th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Anybody go to this thing? I was the guy with the puppy

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » May 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm

The reason I would like to see a view from Washington is that I've got a feeling this is going to look like a 2 block long 15 - 20 story wall. In effect, closing off downtown from the Guthrie area.
It looks like there are plazas/pathways between the buildings and the parking ramp. As long as Park and Portland are effectively connected for cyclists and pedestrians, it shouldn't feel like a wall. We will see, however . . .

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » May 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm

really? wouldn't ryan be the developer for any new target tower? supposedly our new tallest building being hyped on this board for weeks....
I have not heard anything about a new Target tower other than speculation of one a few years down the road. There are other projects in the works that are much farther along though.
And just so the skeptics understand, if they want, this Ryan project has no influence on the projects currently being considered.

Snark away. Just so you know, that specific attitude keeps very good posters with great insight and information, away.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 14th, 2013, 1:26 pm

because ryan and target are joined at the hip. but whatever.

so another developer will propose a supertall without target's involvement. cool...i want to believe that.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 14th, 2013, 1:29 pm

PDFs from Ryan w/ ROUGH site plans, renderings:
http://www.ryancompanies.com/upload/eas ... erings.pdf

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 14th, 2013, 1:30 pm

So, the underground parking ramp next to the LRT, that we specifically paid extra to be reinforced so a 6-story building can built on top of it, is now seeded over with no access. Fine. Maybe they'll tunnel under 4th and connect it to the new building so it wouldn't be a total waste.

I'd like this plan much better if Park and Portland were given the "boulevard" treatment, with openable/closeable gates to allow traffic most times and slice it off other times. Like Kirby Pucket Place (Mauer Ave and Morneau Ave?).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 14th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Also I'm hoping we see significant traffic calming on 4th St on the north end of this park. Two through lanes and intersection neckdowns would be just right. And Park and Portland can be two-way between 4th St and 2nd St.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 14th, 2013, 1:37 pm

There definitely looks to be something in development on Park between 5th and 6th where the surface lot is. Not part of this but being done by Ryan? The city knows about it and filled them in for renderings? Why would they add that placeholder for these renderings??

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 14th, 2013, 1:38 pm

One thing that will REALLY have to be fought for is softening of the two proposed MSFA ramps that approach the sidewalk without buffer uses. Do we really want these to turn into Gateway or County type ramps where they destroy the vitality of the sidewalk? They ought to at least have dynamic first-floor uses.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 14th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Also, the courtyards on the residential side of the office towers look pretty weak - one is a parking lot. WOuld have been nice if they made an alleyway instead of having 2 curb-cuts for cars and flipped the orientation of the building to have continuous street frontage, but I won't nitpick TOO much. Just an example of why the fine-grained stuff often produces better 'urban design'

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » May 14th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I'm guessing 270 feet.