DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby John » July 6th, 2013, 12:06 am

The signage looks fine with nice proportions that blend well with the building. Really like the renderings. Looks like it's going to be a classy postmodern building, but not overdone or fussy. The symmetrical scheme will look beautiful along the park. Has a good context with other art deco buildings downtown.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » July 6th, 2013, 5:00 am

What kind of monument and how many? It would be a touchdown if Wells Fargo became the name sponsor for the new stadium.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 6th, 2013, 9:11 am

I'm fine with the wall signs, they seem pretty comparable in height and size to the digital sign on TCF Tower. The roof signs seem a little much, but as long as our only public viewing platform is the Foshay Tower, I doubt they'll be that visible to the general public, except from planes.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » July 6th, 2013, 10:08 am

I guess it's because I don't drive much, but I just don't see what's so terrible about a two block detour. Surely people living far enough away that they can't bus quickly have already decided, consciously or otherwise, that they don't care about those couple extra minutes stuck in traffic. It's akin to the people who pass aggressively to get two cars ahead in a traffic jam as though it adds anything really appreciable to their use of time.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » July 7th, 2013, 1:49 pm

For a major development that has not officially be approved by the lead tenant, it's impressive how far along and detailed the design work seems to be.

The Summer 2016 deadline for completion of the four buildings (2 towers & 2 parking lots) and The Yard is going to result in a massive construction zone in DTE.

One other observation, I thought these buildings were described as 20-story towers but the elevations seem like they top out at around 15 stories.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 7th, 2013, 6:33 pm

I count 20 stories in the elevations. The design of the tallest portion is hard to count, so I worked up the other side. I got 5 floors for the "base", 14 floors below the signs, 3 floors above the signs, and then 3 further in the "tower", for a total of 20.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 8th, 2013, 2:53 pm

New details: Ryan or another party may develop about 45 units on the south side of the "McClellan" ramp off Park between 3rd and 4th. Development rights over or adjacent to said ramp might also be offered. Also, The Yard will cost $10-15 mil, possibly funded from the sale of development rights or sponsorships.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 48801.html

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » July 8th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Thanks Silo.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 8th, 2013, 3:54 pm

New details: Ryan or another party may develop about 45 units on the south side of the "McClellan" ramp off Park between 3rd and 4th. Development rights over or adjacent to said ramp might also be offered. Also, The Yard will cost $10-15 mil, possibly funded from the sale of development rights or sponsorships.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 48801.html
Is this not where an 8-story building was pictured in the original renders?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 8th, 2013, 4:48 pm

About the Park/Portland street closures, here's my idea:

Why not run a pilot project and temporarily shut the street down for a few months effective immediately to see what happens? My guess would be that everything would be just fine. Local governments really need to get better at experimentation when it comes to alternative street uses. This is how Times Square became pedestrianized, with a temporary shut down. We should really be trying this all over the city, be it lane closures, on street patios, pocket parks, or entire street closures. It's hard for politicians to commit to a permanent and radical change in our street scape, but running it as a test project is simple, and I'd wager that more often than not, people will love it, and this will lead to more permanency in whatever is tested.
Last edited by PhilmerPhil on July 8th, 2013, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 8th, 2013, 4:49 pm

^Frighteningly good idea. What will the consultants do?! Are you a job killer?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 8th, 2013, 7:30 pm

I like the idea, too, but this is how I see it playing out. Based on the current surrounding land use, the closed off blocks would be deserted most of the time. People would scream, "War on cars!" and "Boondogle!" until they are blue in the face. Minneapolis then decides to never try anything innovative ever again. The End.
My flickr photos.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 8th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Is this not where an 8-story building was pictured in the original renders?
Yeah, it seems like they'd have to be referring to that same building.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 8th, 2013, 8:29 pm

I like the idea, too, but this is how I see it playing out. Based on the current surrounding land use, the closed off blocks would be deserted most of the time. People would scream, "War on cars!" and "Boondogle!" until they are blue in the face. Minneapolis then decides to never try anything innovative ever again. The End.
Yeah. I thought about that. There'd have to be some type of programming to bring people there. If it sat empty during the temporary closure, no one would like it. Could be as simple as a food truck court with moveable tables and chairs, a few basketball hoops, and some skate obstacles.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 8th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Yeah, and we can call it Real America Land instead of another "piazaa" or "commons."

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 8th, 2013, 8:40 pm

The other CNUers can attest to this idea. Let's turn it into a copy of Salt Lake City's Granary Row until the snow flies (or maybe until the end of the Vikings season?) This would be a huge draw for the Mill District.
http://instagram.com/granaryrow/

Edit: Look how easy they make it!
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/publicwork ... ents_index :roll:

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 9th, 2013, 9:29 am

The other CNUers can attest to this idea. Let's turn it into a copy of Salt Lake City's Granary Row until the snow flies (or maybe until the end of the Vikings season?) This would be a huge draw for the Mill District.
Wow, it has an Instagram account and repurposed shipping containers? Holy hipster wetdream.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 9th, 2013, 11:05 am

That instagram account looks like a giant parking lot with some painted containers on it. Is there something I'm missing?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 9th, 2013, 11:18 am

Ha! My thoughts exactly.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » July 9th, 2013, 2:20 pm

First City Council test passed today. Community Development Committee voted 4 to 1 in favor of the Ryan Co. concept. Goodman, Samuels, Lilligren and Quincy were in favor. Cam Gordon voted against it.