Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Silophant » July 31st, 2013, 9:33 pm

Couple of towers too, is what I heard.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » August 1st, 2013, 10:50 pm

As someone who works for Hennepin County I can tell you there is no jail visitation on a Sunday morning. jail visitations are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. And if there were, really, so what? And you're seriously going play the card of somehow this will prevent police, fire, and EMTs from somehow getting to an emergency? How utterly sad and pathetic that is. How do they manage to get across downtown for an emergency at 5:00pm on a Monday evening with all those cars in the street?! Yeegods man! Oh the humanity!
It's a hell of a lot easier (oops..sorry...I swore again. Hope nobody has a breakdown over it) for a police cruiser or ambulance to get across downtown on a Sunday morning with a couple streets around the FOOTBALL STADIUM blocked off (ironically, by the very emergency personnel you're so concerned about) then it is for them to go even two blocks during rush hour to get to a scene.
Whatever. Thanks. I'll take you out for an ice cream when you get older.
Oh. Clever. Says the guy with "boy" in his screen name. Very profound.

Mod Note: Are you kidding? What are you doing? You're done now.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 2nd, 2013, 4:38 am

As someone who works for Hennepin County I can tell you there is no jail visitation on a Sunday morning. jail visitations are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. And if there were, really, so what? And you're seriously going play the card of somehow this will prevent police, fire, and EMTs from somehow getting to an emergency? How utterly sad and pathetic that is. How do they manage to get across downtown for an emergency at 5:00pm on a Monday evening with all those cars in the street?! Yeegods man! Oh the humanity!
It's a hell of a lot easier (oops..sorry...I swore again. Hope nobody has a breakdown over it) for a police cruiser or ambulance to get across downtown on a Sunday morning with a couple streets around the FOOTBALL STADIUM blocked off (ironically, by the very emergency personnel you're so concerned about) then it is for them to go even two blocks during rush hour to get to a scene.
Whatever. Thanks. I'll take you out for an ice cream when you get older.
Oh. Clever. Says the guy with "boy" in his screen name. Very profound.
Again, whatever. Don't forget to pick up your room before you go out.

Mod Note: Are you kidding? What are you doing? You're done now.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 2nd, 2013, 6:38 am

JMS9 and Minneboy are baiting each other. Apart from that, nothing I can see.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 2nd, 2013, 7:15 am

Thread cleanup to aisle 1036?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 2nd, 2013, 7:18 am

I could have sworn I saw a render here with a large tower on the west side of the park, but now I can't seem to find it and it's not in Ryan's fly-through. Did I just imagine it?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 2nd, 2013, 7:23 am

I thought that was another Avian special.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15&p=28068#p28068

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 2nd, 2013, 7:24 am

Yep, that's the one. Oh well. Thanks.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 2nd, 2013, 7:55 am

Anyone see the KSTP hit piece on the parking ramp air rights last night? I can't stand KSTP but I have to admit it _was_ fun seeing Lisa Goodman* squirm.

*They called her "Linda Goodman." Embarrassing for a supposed news organization.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 2nd, 2013, 8:23 am

hehe..yea i saw that. jay kolls is sorta their "gotcha" investigative reporter. basically he gives breathless over the top reports about how some government entity is allegedly scewing over the general public. he seems to have a preference for minneapolis issues. or maybe that's higher up editorial decision.

he just walked up to the council dais after a committee meeting and ask Lisa about the air rights over the parking ramp. Lisa mumbled something about how that issue hasn't been resolved yet. she then quickly got up and walked away refusing to answer any more questions. didn't look great on her part..but then she was sorta ambushed.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 2nd, 2013, 8:27 am

didn't look great on her part..but then she was sorta ambushed.
My favorite Goodman quote from the piece: "But thank you for the ambush!"

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 2nd, 2013, 1:23 pm

There was an article in The Business Journal (hard copy) today that listed out the 4 finalist spots that the Strib will choose to. I hadn't heard or seen this before so I thought I'd share. It looks as if they are looking at spots in Block E (yeah), Capella Tower, Washington Square, or the Ameriprise Service Center.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 2nd, 2013, 2:10 pm

I'd hope that a move to Block E would be announced as part of a larger redevelopment/reuse of that building, whether that includes the T-Wolves practice facility or not.

100 Washington Square seems like a good fit. It probably has lower rent than the other skyscraper options. There are lots of opportunities for branding around the building and under the cantilevered courtyard areas. They're going to need a building with plenty of on-site parking for company vehicles. Washington Square seems to fit the bill, as does Block E.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 2nd, 2013, 3:12 pm

I just can't imagine the Ameriprise Service Center... such a dead part of downtown. And I don't think Capella would appeal to them if they're a small fish in a giant ocean. They'd rather be somewhere that benefits their operation AND their brand.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 2nd, 2013, 5:04 pm

How about a new building on that ugly parking lot across from the Itasca and their printing facility in the North Loop?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 2nd, 2013, 10:46 pm

With the shakey state of the newspaper industry, I can't imagine they're looking to build a new building right now.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 7th, 2013, 7:26 am

We all saw this coming, right? http://finance-commerce.com/2013/08/his ... -building/ (paywall)

If it's in the print edition today, I'll try to post a summary later.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 7th, 2013, 7:57 am

I don't remember who suggested it, but let's strip the skin off of Block E and graft the exterior of this building onto it. Then the Strib can move without really moving.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 7th, 2013, 9:51 am

But Seriously, Ryan HAD to have known this day would come...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 7th, 2013, 9:57 am

the portion of the front exterior is the only thing worth saving from this.