DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby holmstar » September 19th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Looks like the skyway level is going to have some really tall ceilings, and perhaps a 3-story lobby?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » September 19th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Looks like the skyway level is going to have some really tall ceilings, and perhaps a 3-story lobby?
It's a mechanical and skyway floor. Supposed there was an option for parking on those levels which Wells Fargo declined leaving an awkwardly tall floor.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 19th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I highly doubt there were any plans for parking on those floors. This larger level is more likely for conference rooms and auditoriums for larger meetings and conferences at the facility. And the front corner will most likely be the large atrium.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » September 19th, 2014, 3:44 pm

I highly doubt there were any plans for parking on those floors. This larger level is more likely for conference rooms and auditoriums for larger meetings and conferences at the facility. And the front corner will most likely be the large atrium.
I'll go ask my neighbor who's a project manager on the project again for clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I've really gotta start saving the damn site plan PDFs from Planning Commission meetings...looks like this one was taken down less than a year (!) after the meeting.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-116607
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 19th, 2014, 5:21 pm

I can't imagine its leftover from proposed parking - they would have had to go in and modify the plans to remove the ramp, and, at that point, why not just put an extra floor in than leave unnecessary headroom. I think go4guy has it right.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 19th, 2014, 6:00 pm

I can't imagine its leftover from proposed parking - they would have had to go in and modify the plans to remove the ramp, and, at that point, why not just put an extra floor in than leave unnecessary headroom. I think go4guy has it right.
Putting in an extra floor or two would require iron work to support those floor. Plus you have the extra metal for the floors and the concrete to smooth them out. All an expense that leaving it open and unfinished would save. That amount of space would be costly to convert. It will be a big open dead space or a possible storage space.

It would have been a great space for an archives, but we are moving to a paperless society, especially in the banking business. Not sure of the requirements to use this as a data storage area. If they would have the ability to turn the air over enough or not. There would also be security concern with data storage.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 19th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Let me just say, as someone familiar with this, banks do not build space for archives.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 22nd, 2014, 7:29 am

Putting in an extra floor or two would require iron work to support those floor. Plus you have the extra metal for the floors and the concrete to smooth them out. All an expense that leaving it open and unfinished would save. That amount of space would be costly to convert. It will be a big open dead space or a possible storage space.

It would have been a great space for an archives, but we are moving to a paperless society, especially in the banking business. Not sure of the requirements to use this as a data storage area. If they would have the ability to turn the air over enough or not. There would also be security concern with data storage.
But this would have been decided early in the process, and it would have only changed the plans slighty, so not really costing anything more. But besides that, no plans EVER had parking in these buildings. Not at any point. So it is very obvious that this was planned from the beginning, and will be for conference rooms and auditoriums. No company is ever going to spend $400 million on new buildings and create an entire useless floor. That makes absolutely no sense.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » September 22nd, 2014, 8:28 am

But this would have been decided early in the process, and it would have only changed the plans slighty, so not really costing anything more. But besides that, no plans EVER had parking in these buildings. Not at any point. So it is very obvious that this was planned from the beginning, and will be for conference rooms and auditoriums. No company is ever going to spend $400 million on new buildings and create an entire useless floor. That makes absolutely no sense.
The reason I asked my neighbor who's onsite this project about this floor is the lack of access to the elevator core. Haven't seen him yet for clarification.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 24th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Ryan Cos. makes $200K donation for Downtown East park
Sep 24, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -east.html

Ryan Cos. US Inc. kicked off a drive to raise funds for a new green space in downtown Minneapolis with a $200,000 donation.

The money will hire a professional fundraiser to come up with several million dollars to turn two city blocks on the east side of downtown into a park. [...]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 24th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Sep 24, 2014

Ryan Cos. US Inc. kicked off a drive to raise funds for a new green space in downtown Minneapolis with a $200,000 donation.

The money will hire a professional fundraiser to come up with several million dollars to turn two city blocks on the east side of downtown into a park. [...]
Well they should already have a major contribution from the Viking and Wells Fargo as they have the most to benefit from it. I'm sure they can get a few more corporate donation with Ameriprise and Capella close by. Maybe Target can put a bullseye in the middle of the park with red and white pavers to justify them kicking in a Million. That would pi$$ of the Queens front office. Have a bidding war for naming rights to this park. Make the Wilfs cough up some real dough for this park.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 24th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Oh lord, are they selling naming rights for the park too? It's bad enough to replace the Humphrey Metrodome with Giant Corporation Stadium; do we really have to have the Thrivent Commons outside?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 24th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Thrivent Financial Field at Sun Country Stadium on Cheerios Commons?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 25th, 2014, 6:52 am

Cheerios Commons? More like Lucky Charms Promenade!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 25th, 2014, 7:04 am

Lucky Charms Promenade!
10/10 would attend corporate events at.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » September 25th, 2014, 8:16 am

Sep 24, 2014

Well they should already have a major contribution from the Viking and Wells Fargo as they have the most to benefit from it. I'm sure they can get a few more corporate donation with Ameriprise and Capella close by. Maybe Target can put a bullseye in the middle of the park with red and white pavers to justify them kicking in a Million. That would pi$$ of the Queens front office. Have a bidding war for naming rights to this park. Make the Wilfs cough up some real dough for this park.
I LOVE this idea on several levels. Let me describe the levels...

Level 1. I don't know exactly (I'm sure I'll be corrected), but I think the Wilfs have little to no control over the park design. They are going to get bajillions for naming rights for the stadium. Why can't the city get some since this is already going to be "corporate square" (as the jokers have pointed out quite well). I'd rather have good programming, upkeep and design and a corporate logo in lieu of another "Gateway Park" (quotes added for hyperbole).

Level 2. IF the Wilf's indeed have no control over the park, it would be AWESOME to poke them in the eye and diminish the naming rights for the stadium WHILE making money (for aforementioned programming/upkeep/design).

Level 3. Target is a good brand that cares about design. I'll take a Target sponsorship over "Thrivent Financial Park" any day. Further, the very idea of a "paved" Target bullseye is pretty brilliant. Design like this is generally not very perceptible from the street/pedestrian level BUT, from a blimp (ahem), it would be VERY apparent. This could be designed in a way that it could be integrated into a "field" of paving, with only a textural difference or slight color difference further disguising it from the ground, it could be integrated into paths, given water features etc. From a strictly design perspective, the logo is a very pure design that could be played with in a variety of interesting ways.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 25th, 2014, 8:39 am

Level 2. IF the Wilf's indeed have no control over the park, it would be AWESOME to poke them in the eye and diminish the naming rights for the stadium WHILE making money (for aforementioned programming/upkeep/design).
Wonder if the stadium legislation has some built-in protections for the Wilfs to prevent this. Wouldn't be surprised.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » September 25th, 2014, 9:45 am

Yeah, bad news, I think the City's agreement with Ryan and the MSFA prohibits naming rights for the "yard."

I can't find the final version of the agreement, but here's a draft of the term sheet that the City agreed to: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 117911.pdf

This is the problem:
The City will not solicit commercial naming rights agreements for all or any
portion of the Urban Park. The City may, but is not obligated to, seek commercial
or non-commercial donations, funding and grant opportunities or temporary
sponsorships for the Urban Park.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 25th, 2014, 9:48 am

"Temporary sponsorships" may work. Considering that things "permanent" in nature such as stadiums are really temporary structures deigned to last 30 years, I can imagine park sponsorships lasting 5-10 years could be construed as temporary.