DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby Wedgeguy » July 1st, 2015, 7:15 pm

Looks like about 85% of the foundation walls are complete. There are a few structural beams now above ground on the south side of the park apartment project.

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » July 2nd, 2015, 9:48 am

I'm beginning to get really curious as to what will end up on the north side of the west tower. With the hotel going in the spot to the east, it would make sense that they would stick with their original plan for residential, but it doesn't seem to be part of 'The Edition'. Every mention of The Edition has only been about the building in the park and the two liner buildings on the south of each tower, facing the park.

I also curious about the ramp liner building, but we all know what a clusterfudge THAT has been. I've resigned myself to never seeing that green glass tower they were teasing when the hotel was part of that project.

SOMEONE has to know what's going in, considering it all needs to be done at the same time. I don't blame them, however, for not saying anything until it's a done deal.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 2nd, 2015, 10:06 am

SOMEONE has to know what's going in, considering it all needs to be done at the same time. I don't blame them, however, for not saying anything until it's a done deal.
Actually, that's not true.
Only the housing in the park & on the south side of the towers will be completed when the towers are done. The north sides of the towers were always planned to happen 'at a later date'. The fact that the hotel portion has already been announced is just a bonus for Downtown East.

As for the residential portion on the south side of the ramp. That timeline is also different than the towers, park and apartments.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 7th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Any word on a demolition date for the old Strib building?? They have what looks like the final layer of asphalt laid on that block of 4th street that has been closed off for a few months now. Hopefully that should open by the end of this week.

Parking ramp looks like 3 levels finished so far with work on the 4th in progress. It is going to be 6 levels, right??

Top of the WF building decorative trellises are now up on the west building. Still has lots of windows to go in and other finishing work to get done. The future skyway hooking up with the Haft Ramp is coming along. The stub walls are up and the old doorway is closed off with another wall removed at this point for entering and exiting the ramp at the skyway level. I look for it to be fall or later before they have that skyway enclosed and the ramps walls all sealed up for climate control. They still have the old elevator lobby walls up so they will need to come down to make a fairly generous elevator lobby.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 8th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Has anyone actually seen mock up for the 3rd Ave side of the building. Walking by today I noticed some 2 foot stub walks above the sidewalk. Then I noticed the 1/2 to 3/4 of a store difference in the topography of 5th to 4th street. Are they going to treat this as one level across the while block or will there be step ups for floor levels as you progress south from 4th street up to the higher 5th street? Building support beams are going in from south to north with a few first floor slab walls in place today.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » July 8th, 2015, 9:59 pm

Any word on a demolition date for the old Strib building??
I can't provide a source but I seem to remember reading that they had to do a bunch of asbestos abatement before tearing it down and it would be awhile.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 9th, 2015, 8:38 am

Any word on a demolition date for the old Strib building??
I can't provide a source but I seem to remember reading that they had to do a bunch of asbestos abatement before tearing it down and it would be awhile.
Due to the age of that building I'm sure there are a lot of hazardous issues. Asbestos, possible lead paint lurking underneath, and I'm sure because of the printing that went on there hazardous chemicals are also lurking in different area of the building. Maybe stuff is happening inside that we don't see. But have not really seen dumpster and other refuse removals so far with the building from the outside.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 10th, 2015, 3:07 pm

From 3rd street elevation it looks like they are working on the fifth level of the ramp. That has to be wrapping up before winter. Is there 6 or 7 levels that they are building?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 16th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Digging has begun on north side of western tower. Still no official designs released to be seen by the public though?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 16th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Maybe they'll just "wing" it.

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » July 16th, 2015, 5:26 pm

From 3rd street elevation it looks like they are working on the fifth level of the ramp. That has to be wrapping up before winter. Is there 6 or 7 levels that they are building?
According to a project pdf, the ramp will be 6.5 levels above ground. However if you look at the webcam there is one level slightly below street level and I guess there are counting that. They are pouring concrete for the 6th level and working on 6.5.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 21st, 2015, 8:32 am

Detailed plans for the Radisson Red:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 143964.pdf

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown East (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo / Radisson R

Postby Wedgeguy » July 21st, 2015, 10:29 am

So it there an actual start date for the RED??

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 21st, 2015, 11:31 am

Five stories and they want surface parking between the hotel and the Wells Fargo building? Adding paint and some ivy, as proposed, will not save the awfulness of the huge blank concrete wall. A resoundingly disappointing proposal.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2015, 11:47 am

I kind of agree...that is too large a gap between the buildings. Kind of like the alley between Xcel and Nic on Fifth.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 21st, 2015, 12:13 pm

I kind of agree...that is too large a gap between the buildings. Kind of like the alley between Xcel and Nic on Fifth.
Maybe Wells can spring for a mural where that have the stage coach going across the prairie painted on the blank wall. While it does have something to be desired. I can say that it could be a whole lot worse than it is. At least there is green space for patios and there is retail at street level which is a major plus.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 21st, 2015, 7:55 pm

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » July 21st, 2015, 8:05 pm

Detailed plans for the Radisson Red:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 143964.pdf
So there IS parking under the Wells Fargo towers...
Urbanist in the north woods

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 21st, 2015, 9:51 pm

I don't think there is parking below the WF towers. I work for a subsidiary and on the project page it talks about having other ramps connected via skyway and surface lots. Totaling 5,000 spaces within a 2 block walk.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 22nd, 2015, 8:26 am

Since both of these blocks, including the "outlots," are getting built in a short time frame... seems like it would have been a great opportunity to build some small storefronts on the Portland street level, setting the stage for Portland to become a little walkable commercial stretch between the River and the Commons.