DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Minneboy » May 14th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Is it a possibility that the parking ramp will have enough reinforcement to support a future tower? If I were Ryan I would certainly look at doing so.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 14th, 2013, 5:45 pm

... I'm not going to name names, but I thought a few people on here said this would be a skyline changer.
This is not the "skyline changing" project. Those are closer to the core.
So we may be looking at more than one! :D

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 14th, 2013, 6:32 pm

If I were Ryan, I'd put a apt tower on the parking ramp now. This area could be very desirable to live once finished

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 14th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Well, going crosstown in Manhattan is generally a PITA anyway. But I think breaking the the grid with a park, if you're going to break the grid, is the least damaging because pedestrians can still cross the park as they normally would. It's only motorists that get inconvenienced by the broken grid. One could argue that an amenity that improves livability and also makes driving more difficult, is good for a city.
Yes but in NYC they concentrated it all in to one place. Yes, it breaks up many grids because it's so big and the E-W blocks in Manhattan are so thin that there are many touch-points. But it being so big and central in the island makes going up and down the island on either side seem much more feasible to auto drivers, and east-west at any other location is the same. I'm not poo-poo-ing Central Park, just saying that if the entire park (862 acres) was broken up in to smaller ones the size of this "Yard" (8.89 acres) there would be 100 of them each breaking up 2 blocks of traffic. And far more citizens would be within 5 blocks of high-quality urban refuge (330' x 1060' or so is enough room for a lot of amenities, trees, fields, and water features per park).

As the afternoon went on I continue to like this more and more, and the park is the biggest reason why.

eljefe612
Block E

Postby eljefe612 » May 14th, 2013, 7:03 pm

This plan is way cooler than anything I imagined. Way better than a tall tower out of place in a wasteland of parking lots and low-risers.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 14th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Yeah, honestly this has grown on me a lot as I've thought about it. Sure, I will nitpick around the details and lobby to get some relatively minor changes, but this is huge. I remember seeing plans where most of these two blocks would have been asphalt for tailgating. This park is great.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 14th, 2013, 7:29 pm

So where is this 400 housing units located? The two towers are office if I read right?

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 14th, 2013, 7:48 pm

So where is this 400 housing units located? The two towers are office if I read right?
The two short buildings in front of the towers, the two U-shaped buildings behind them, and the one screening the parking ramp.

(Upload image max 600x400 and hotlinking max width 750? What is this, 2003?)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 14th, 2013, 7:54 pm

So how do you get into the parking ramp that is below the Light rail line that's entrance is on Park??

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 14th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Because the Armory faces the park it has so much potential especially for a farmers market which has been discussed.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 14th, 2013, 8:04 pm

So how do you get into the parking ramp that is below the Light rail line that's entrance is on Park??
It looks like there may be a driveway going out to 4th right there? The skyway spur that crosses 4th also seems to line up with the existing vertical circulation for that ramp.

Looking closely at the rendering, it looks like the back of the ramp might have something going on at street level? Also, all the shown residential buildings appear to be 5 stories, except for the one by the ramp, which is either 7 or 8.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 14th, 2013, 8:09 pm

The ramp reminds me of a 3/4's Gateway Ramp from above image. Huge.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2013, 8:20 pm

We probably got ahead of ourselves pages ago, but I wonder what chance in hell there would be to seriously reconsider some of the uses along 5th Avenue? In a perfect world, the Gateway Ramp would be torn down, but that's probably not happening anytime soon. What would be great and maybe actually possible would be putting something on the south/east half block of the jail. The jail's probably not going anywhere and it makes sense to have it next to all the courthouses and cops, but it looks even more like a jail than your average suburban middle school. I'm pretty sure that one story structure is just covered parking anyway--maybe some ten story office building of some sort could go right there? Residential might be a hard sell.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Also just noticing that the big, retractable doors on the stadium aren't going to open up into the park, they're on the south side of the structure, across from what I'm pretty sure is the county morgue. It's both hard and easy to believe the two groups didn't do much collaborating when putting their designs together...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 14th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Technically the Armory faces 6th.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 14th, 2013, 10:38 pm

:::And because I'm the cynic::: This looks like a huge public investment for very little private. Don't get seduced by trees, we're still only looking at two buildings and two huge parking ramps. The remainder of the surrounding properties are all county operations or charitable organizations, hardly a recipe for a successful park and a vibrant street life. Wasn't this tried with Gateway Park and Pioneer Square?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 15th, 2013, 12:58 am

Pioneer Square? Like, Seattle Pioneer Square? That place creeped me out bigtime.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 15th, 2013, 1:36 am

I seem to be the one person who thinks they missed the boat on this one. This honestly looks like someone took the older portion of the WFHM campus, doubled the size and added a twin. I'm quite disappointed. The scale seems odd to me also, but that could be the angles. I would like to see an overhead shot as well as one from Washington to get a better perspective.
I was hoping for something with a little more modern look to it. We'll see; even they admitted this is likely to change a little, especially the residential portion.
I don't disagree to a point....but Ryan is not known for *nice* developments; for them this is nice. A residential *tower* of about 40 floors and it would've been a home run IMO.
Let's think on the positive side.. the shorter buildings facing the park leaves the blocks to the north as prime places to build even taller- to get a view of said park
I am pretty sure that per the city's plan, buildings are supposed to be built taller further south of the river, shorter as they get closer to the river (north). I think taller buildings north of the Ryan development would truly create a "wall like" feeling. Plenty of surface parking lots south, though (i.e. directly south of the Armory!)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 15th, 2013, 8:29 am

4th St is far enough from the river where height should not matter.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 15th, 2013, 8:32 am

Uhh.. they revamped the graphic (not sure if it was the Strib or Ryan Cos) to include the new stadium rendering: http://www.startribune.com/newsgraphics/207414721.html

I think they put the new stadium a bit too close to the park, it looks like the ground-level point is right up against Chicago. In reality, it will be much further set back ( http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/5 ... um0514.jpg ) and not engage this park nearly as well as they make it out to be. As Nick pointed out, the glass wall won't really engage with the park since it angles slightly south and is almost entirely on the block south of 5th..