DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Minneboy » May 15th, 2013, 8:10 pm

I believe the county is holding this space for future jail expansion as the new jail wasn't built quite as big as the county wanted it as they are still using space in City Hall to house prisoners.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 15th, 2013, 8:33 pm

The 'dock space' is the recieving area for arrestees from all of Hennepin county and Minneapolis. They don't walk them to jail anymore.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nowhouse
Block E

Postby nowhouse » May 15th, 2013, 10:18 pm

I think the jail would make great apartments. 8o square feet for $1,250.00/month...

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 15th, 2013, 10:22 pm

I like the stadium for the most part. I like the idea of a park. However, this whole Ryan project I would sum up in one word. Underachieving.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 16th, 2013, 6:45 am

Anyone have a clear understanding of where this proposal actually stands? Still many more hoops to jump through?
There's at least one major bug to be fixed. As far as I know, Wells Fargo has yet to agree to this scheme.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 16th, 2013, 7:07 am

^^ You'd have to think they would be pretty close otherwise why come out with such a grand reveal? WF and Ryan have been known to be in talks since day 1, I imagine Ryan would have sensed if WF was having wet feet about the deal and would have actively pursued other employers. I know it's not a done deal, but you have to think everything is together in theory and all sides are on board- city, employer and developer.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 16th, 2013, 7:50 am

I know Wells wants a huge subsidy for their commitment to this location, and I thought I heard through RailBarron that his brother-in-law said that Brooklyn Park is also wooing WF to move to a corporate campus near Target and the Bottineau Line.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 16th, 2013, 8:07 am

With all due respect, Rail Barron Yarr suggested:
My bro-in-law said the mayor of Brooklyn Park stated that if the Bottineau line gets funded as planned, Wells Fargo will be moving there in to a new facility, not here.
So, basically, somebody Rail Barron knows said the mayor said that if a light rail project that isn't close to being funded gets funded and then built like six years from now, then Wells Fargo might move there.

Sounds like the ball is pretty much in Minneapolis' court for the time being.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 16th, 2013, 8:22 am

I think it's fairly reasonable to expect that the "cornfield" areas in Brooklyn Park immediately adjacent to Bottineau will get some fairly dense suburban-style office development very quickly, probably mostly for corporations with large downtown presences that would be looking to move some functions that don't need to be downtown out to the suburbs, but maintain easy travel between offices. I would think that Wells Fargo would be a prime candidate for this, and it would be stupid of them to not at least look into the idea.

It sounded like Wells' primary reason for not signing yet was that they weren't sure what their staffing needs would be in 3-4 years, so I'm sure they have no clue what they'll be in 8-12 years. But might it be a good idea for them to pick up 30 acres of undeveloped land close to the line? Sure would be.

I would guess that this isn't a one-or-the-other kind of thing. Maybe it affects whether they're looking for a 15 year lease or a 25 year lease on the Ryan building, but I doubt it has much of an affect on whether they'll lease it out at all.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 16th, 2013, 8:36 am

We entertain wild rumors of supertalls all the time. It's not outrageous to think WF would be entertaining the idea - if the Bottineau line is 6 years out, this project would at best be 1.5 to 2 years out. As DaPerpKazoo points out, they may be considering buying that land anyway and working through what options they have for what type of staff goes where. Take or leave my information, but it certainly would seem odd that the Ryan exec explicitly stated that they're still working "very hard on Pan A" (being WF). Yet no word from WF at the meeting. Maybe this was Minneapolis and Ryan Company's way of putting a little pressure on WF now that the public sees what could happen to that area of downtown.

Can I also say that if WF is asking for subsidies for this area... ugh. Further, they'd likely be looking for subsidies or tax abatement (or waived water/sewer hookup and service charges) from Brooklyn Park as well.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 16th, 2013, 10:40 am

It upsets me quite a bit when major banks (and GM and Chrysler for that matter) ask for large subsidies for these types of deals considering the bailouts provided to them after the housing crisis and recession hit. I know most entities have paid back the government in full but come on - either make the deal sans a subsidy or go elsewhere. I don't know if a subsidy is the sticking point for this deal to go through but if it is, then this project will have lost some of its luster in my book.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 16th, 2013, 10:50 am

I like the stadium for the most part. I like the idea of a park. However, this whole Ryan project I would sum up in one word. Underachieving.
I don't know. The more I look at the flyover video on Youtube and see it in relation to the rest of downtown, the more I like it. The twin tower concept works as a great formal entrance between the new park and the Mill District, and anchors the park with a nice symmetrical design along its northern edge. It relates well to the art deco period of downtown architecture and weaves a lot of areas together which are currently disjointed. This project is really the first of what will be an explosion in development in DTE. It' going to be an amazing area in 15 years.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 16th, 2013, 10:55 am

Park Views_1 by Le Sueur, on Flickr

Can anyone spot the other new tower that will be catching views of the stadium and the new park? :)

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » May 16th, 2013, 11:09 am

I don't know. The more I look at the flyover video on Youtube and see it in relation to the rest of downtown, the more I like it. The twin tower concept works as a great formal entrance between the new park and the Mill District, and anchors the park with a nice symmetrical design along its northern edge. It relates well to the art deco period of downtown architecture and weaves a lot of areas together which are currently disjointed. This project is really the first of what will be an explosion in development in DTE. It' going to be an amazing area in 15 years.
I like the wall affect.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 16th, 2013, 11:28 am

Can anyone spot the other new tower that will be catching views of the stadium and the new park? :)
Above City Hall in the center?

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 16th, 2013, 11:41 am

Will 4Marq be that bulky?

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 16th, 2013, 11:54 am

The black building off to the right? Looks to be on 3rd St.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 16th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Oh wait, now I see that other building in the middle...

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 16th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Will 4Marq be that bulky?
It's m b p's model of 4Marq, which looks pretty accurate. It is longer than it is wide.

I had somebody ask, so I finally got SketchUp connected to Google and uploaded the Model if anyone wants to play around with it. ***It's not perfect, just an estimate.
***Hide the Strib in GoogleEarth with right-click. Restart App to 'un-hide' buildings.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
Also m b p's models if you haven't added them. (Nic5th,4Marq, and LaSalle)
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 45&ct=mdsa

Otherwise here's one matching the angle from the render:
Park Views_2 by Le Sueur, on Flickr
Ryan Co. by Le Sueur, on Flickr

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 16th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Maybe it will grow on me more. I was just expecting more from Ryan I guess.