DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
PhilmerPhil

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 20th, 2013, 12:26 pm

David Brauer ‏@dbrauer: Compromise in Star Tribune historic preservation debate?Architect suggests hollowing it out into triumphal park arch!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2013, 12:30 pm

David Brauer ‏@dbrauer: Compromise in Star Tribune historic preservation debate?Architect suggests hollowing it out into triumphal park arch!
Which architect? Is anyone pursuing this with the city? I would love to but I have too many things in the air at the moment.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » November 20th, 2013, 12:31 pm

I like it! There aren't enough civic archways around here.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2013, 12:32 pm

The Met Building was a collection of small offices around a large open atrium. While it was privately owned, it had a public presence.

The Strib building, though, has always been private, for workers only. To the extent that it's Historic, it's because it represents an important historical concept, not because it's an important building. In this respect, the facade, or a reinterpretation of the facade, is probably just as effective as the building itself.

Really, if we're going to preserve anything in amber, it should be Sid's desk.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 20th, 2013, 12:52 pm

I really like that arch idea. Make it happen! Can I sign a petition?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 20th, 2013, 12:55 pm

I actually really like the look of the arch. What would the doors on the one 'leg' be for, an ATM?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 20th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Which architect?
Um, [email protected]?

I was going to suggest this, but I think it's unrealistic that the city would be on board, since it would conflict with their plan to make the park a big empty patch of dirt for bros to get drunk on 8 times a year.

Edit: it would also conflict with their plan to spend $0.00 on building the park.
"Who rescued whom!"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Sounds like Woofner knows exactly where this "park" is headed.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2013, 3:02 pm

To the extent that it's Historic, it's because it represents an important historical concept, not because it's an important building. In this respect, the facade, or a reinterpretation of the facade, is probably just as effective as the building itself.
If the historic value is what went on inside the building, even more reason to save the whole arch with the paper's name on it.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 20th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I'm quite drawn to the arch idea, myself. It'll give that park a solid landmark and an immediate area of interest. Also, a great meeting point. It's far more interesting than the 6 random medallions embedded in a sidewalk somewhere.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 20th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Like the 8 or so random medallions embedded in the lobby of the convention center? Let's not make this 'pittance to preservation' mistake again.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2013, 6:03 pm

For me this is an easy trade-off -- the potential benefits of this project vastly outweigh the merits of this nice but really not great building. If you're going to mount the barracks, I think you need to be clear why you're doing it. The potential reason to save it is because of the history of its use, not because this is such a great building.

And the arch idea just feels icky and weird to me. Better to tear the thing down properly than leave that strange vestige of it, ruining the potential usefulness of the park. If somebody had a clever idea to incorporate that facade into a new building, I could maybe get behind that -- maybe.

I share others concerns about the park's future programming and maintenance, but I think it's very premature to say that just because there is not yet a plan in place, that it will just be sod and nothing more. The park isn't going to open for at least another two years. There's a lot of time to work through that aspect.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Like the 8 or so random medallions embedded in the lobby of the convention center? Let's not make this 'pittance to preservation' mistake again.
Agreed that this wasn't handled the best, but short of keeping the old auditorium intact, what would you have proposed?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 20th, 2013, 6:08 pm

It would seem a little weird for the city to spend money to maintain a giant advertisement for a private company.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 20th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Other than the stadium?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 20th, 2013, 6:33 pm

The arch idea is awesome but Paris is one of my favorite cities and it has a lot of arches so maybe I'm just partial.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

that arch makes me totally giddy.

plenty of landmarks and old buildings still have the name of their maker on them. that's not unusual.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2013, 6:42 pm

If you like Paris, then perhaps you could give us the English translation of gauche?

I certainly hope that the arch design was intended as a tongue in cheek joke.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 20th, 2013, 7:00 pm

The WHOLE building shows as a Art Nuevo building. I look at the arch entrance as pathetic. The best part of the building is the mix of the dark vertical layers that within themselves have a smooth to rugged look. I like the ziggurat accent that lines the upper line of the building. The mix between the cream and charcoal brick make the building. Slapping on a few medallions will not make for a great park or a way to save one of the few Art Nuevo building here in MPLS.

PS I did a lap around the building yesterday so I know what I see and I'm talking about. The interior has some great work also.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 20th, 2013, 7:03 pm

deco