DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Minnekid » October 18th, 2013, 11:53 pm

The small st paul parks are the best example that small parks could work. There just has to be development around them, which there will exist to make them an intimate and busy park.

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » October 19th, 2013, 12:04 am

^i was always curious if that could have been an option for the blocks adjacent to the library.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » October 19th, 2013, 12:06 am

The Green Bridge at Mile End Park in London more or less does this. Even has shops under the bridge. Oh man does this take me back to my semester abroad in east London.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mile+en ... 1&ie=UTF-8
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 19th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Is there any reason why the two parks could not be connected creatively, such as through a land bridge?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 19th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Is there any reason why the two parks could not be connected creatively, such as through a land bridge?
They very well could build one. It would just be an added expense to build such a feature. But yes, it is a viable option when financing is not limited.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 19th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well it's not like closing off those two streets is "free," given that it's a bunch of extra square footage to develop.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 19th, 2013, 4:38 pm

To me a land bridge only makes sense if the roads are sunken or the entire park is raised up. I do not think it makes sense here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 21st, 2013, 12:31 pm

More details about the potential retail building(s) wrapping the parking ramp: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/10/msf ... r-stadium/

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 21st, 2013, 1:11 pm

More details about the potential retail building(s) wrapping the parking ramp: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/10/msf ... r-stadium/
You got me super exited, but now I'm just confused. It seems to me they're talking mostly about the small parcel facing the plaza. But what I'm more interested in is the other 80% of the block. Maybe this quote indicates they are looking at other uses for that street frontage as well? One can hope!
What we are looking at would be potential development both around the linear frontage and side of the parking structure, as well as potentially on the rooftop,
Towns!

stockman
Block E

Postby stockman » October 22nd, 2013, 2:59 pm

Regardless of whether the streets are kept open, the park will be a great asset to downtown. The land bridge could be very cool, but it would be cost prohibitive. Again, I kindly suggest that you can do a lot with some traffic calming that could make a nice connection, keep costs low and still keep the streets open. I have the feeling that if this isn't done now, it will be done in the future.

2trill2spill
Block E

Postby 2trill2spill » October 22nd, 2013, 7:12 pm

Why not one or two relatively simple pedestrian/bike bridges they cant be much more then a couple million. That way if the City and County want a land bridge or to close off the road in the future they can. But i feel like this would be the best approach for now, so Ryan can get the show on the road.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 23rd, 2013, 10:17 am

Bike/pedestrian bridges at this location just don't make much sense. Nobody is going to walk up and down two flights of stairs (let alone the ramps that ADA would require) when they can very easily cross at grade. Even in an un-throated condition, these roads aren't that wide or that busy -- it's not like crossing a six lane freeway.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 23rd, 2013, 10:24 am

I would envision some sort of gradual incline, like the bridges that go over Washington Avenue on the U of M campus, rather than some contraption involving stairs. If the Yard is going to have any sort of hills or bumps built into it, a natural connection shouldn't be that difficult.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 23rd, 2013, 10:35 am

Bike/pedestrian bridges at this location just don't make much sense. Nobody is going to walk up and down two flights of stairs (let alone the ramps that ADA would require) when they can very easily cross at grade. Even in an un-throated condition, these roads aren't that wide or that busy -- it's not like crossing a six lane freeway.
If not that busy, why not close them? ;)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 23rd, 2013, 10:54 am

If not that busy, why not close them?

I know you're just poking, but anyway...

I've said before that I think closing Portland makes sense. I think that Park needs to stay open as a two way north of 6th Street (most of the time -- could be closed during special events). Just because roads aren't super-busy doesn't mean that they can just go away.

It took us about 4 decades to break up the super block north of Washington where the old railyards were. I'm not sure we should turn around and create a new super block here.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 23rd, 2013, 12:27 pm

I've said before that I think closing Portland makes sense. I think that Park needs to stay open as a two way north of 6th Street (most of the time -- could be closed during special events). Just because roads aren't super-busy doesn't mean that they can just go away.
Really hope this is how they do it -- it keeps 90% of the benefit to the park. Not sure why it has to be all or nothing.
Towns!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 23rd, 2013, 12:31 pm

I'm on record with agreeing with exactly what MNdible said. Just wanted to poke.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 23rd, 2013, 12:38 pm

county had no problem closing 5th street. city agreed to it. maybe if they were running a rail line down park or portland peter mclaughlin would support this. sorry, had to be a little snarky.

but i agree it's not really a big deal having the streets open. a lot of this area is closed off during vikings game anyway. i think there could be adequate pedestrian flow with some wide, prominent cross walks and lights. make it inviting and easy to pass between park blocks. it's all in the design. if these remain one way freeways as they are south of downtown that would be an issue. i don't feel the county did enough with the repaving project of these streets south of downtown and i feel they are doing little with the proposed minnehaha ave reconstruction for pedestrians and bikers.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 23rd, 2013, 1:28 pm

Two letters to the editor in the Strib today, both in favor of keeping the park space continuous. One for full closures, one for shallow trenches, both well written.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/lett ... 50581.html

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 23rd, 2013, 3:11 pm

^^ and the piece on environmental fear-mongering was equally enlightening.