DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby bubzki2 » February 4th, 2014, 8:37 am

This has been an accelerated time frame, correct? I have to think that the combo design aspect (parking integral) and the short turn-around time means this isn't likely to really 'wow' us. Can someone enlighten me if this isn't true? How fast can architects and engineers really crank out a skyscraper?

glencoco10
Block E

Postby glencoco10 » February 4th, 2014, 11:00 am

I was told by the director of CPED that the planning offices of the City of Minneapolis will not call the proposed park in DTE "The Yard" due to the fact that there are two incarceration facilities located alongside the border of the proposed park. I can definitely see their concern about that.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » February 4th, 2014, 11:18 am

I was told by the director of CPED that the planning offices of the City of Minneapolis will not call the proposed park in DTE "The Yard" due to the fact that there are two incarceration facilities located alongside the border of the proposed park. I can definitely see their concern about that.

So you're telling me that the argument had pages back, whether we should call this a 'park' or a 'yard,' was useless? no way.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 5th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Anyone want to venture a guess on when we'll start seeing some of the designs for the ramp facility? I know the selection won't be until March, but I'd think we'll see them in the next week to 10 days, what say you?

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » February 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

I believe there might be a presentation to the Downtown East neighborhood group this week or next.

Mod note: New thread for Parking Ramp Air Rights Development here: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2079

glencoco10
Block E

Postby glencoco10 » February 6th, 2014, 10:38 am

So you're telling me that the argument had pages back, whether we should call this a 'park' or a 'yard,' was useless? no way.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to read the entire thread since it's 88 pages long. Do you know what page this argument is on? I'd be interested in reading it. It's hard to find.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 11th, 2014, 8:51 pm

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby mplser » March 3rd, 2014, 11:46 am

does anyone know when demo is supposed to start?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 3rd, 2014, 2:56 pm

:!: From the Feb. 12, 2014 Finance & Commerce article:
http://finance-commerce.com/2014/02/rya ... bune-land/

"Now that the paperwork is done, the first visible sign of activity is just two months away, when Ryan will start asbestos remediation April 1 on the 72,000-square-foot Freeman Building at 329 Portland Ave. The building is attached by skyway to the main Star Tribune building. Demolition of the site is slated to begin April 15, Collins said.

Ryan will formally break ground on Downtown East on May 13, ending months of delay for the project, which includes 1.1 million square feet of office space, up to 400 apartment units, several thousand square feet of commercial space, a public park and a parking ramp that will be used by the MSFA for the Vikings stadium. Wells Fargo & Co. has agreed to purchase the two 17-story office towers, and plans to fill the buildings with up to 5,000 employees. But between now and April, there’s plenty of work to do on Minneapolis’ largest new project in a generation. “Most of it is work that will not be visible to anybody outside the project team,” Collins said. “It’s pretty much process at this point.”

The purchase was originally slated to close in December but was delayed by multiple lawsuits. With the sale closure, Ryan now owns the blocks bound by Fifth Avenue South, Fifth Street South, Park Avenue South and Third Street South. The MSFA’s block is at the northeast corner of Fourth Street South and Park Avenue. The Star Tribune has an 18-month lease to stay in its current building at 425 Portland Ave. until mid-2015, when it hopes to move on to an as yet undisclosed downtown location.
Steve Yaeger, a spokesman for the newspaper, said the new space will need to be on the skyway in downtown Minneapolis, but declined to share the paper’s short list of options. Nelson Tietz & Hoye is in charge of finding the new space, HGA Architects will design it and Jones Lang LaSalle will manage the buildout.

“There are a lot of good opportunities downtown,” Yaeger said. “I’m hopeful we’ll have an announcement very soon.”
Ryan expects to tear down the Star Tribune building when the lease is up. The block will be converted into park land and then sold to the city by July 2016. The Minneapolis City Council approved a $65 million bonding package in late 2013 to help fund the purchase of the park. Some of the bonds will also be used to help build the MSFA’s parking ramp."

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 3rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

Anyone know how a building completed in the 80s could require asbestos remediation?

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 3rd, 2014, 4:03 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't get to read the entire thread since it's 88 pages long. Do you know what page this argument is on? I'd be interested in reading it. It's hard to find.
The "yard" is a term used in prisons to identify the common spaces used for exercise. Since there is a detention facility overlooking the new park, it will not be called the "Yard."

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 3rd, 2014, 4:21 pm

Also, woofner really doesn't like the suburban connotations associated with that word.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 3rd, 2014, 4:56 pm

*two* detention facilities, correct?

web

Postby web » March 3rd, 2014, 4:59 pm

Anyone know how a building completed in the 80s could require asbestos remediation?
bad construction??? when exactly was asbestos gone?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 3rd, 2014, 5:18 pm

Perhaps its still full of Asbestos-laden linotype printers. It's a fantastic insulator.

Recognized as early as 1978- outright banned in 89'.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 3rd, 2014, 5:48 pm

Yeah, one connected to the courthouse on the west, and the juvenile facility on the east. "Yard" would really be awkward. I hope the juvenile facility is able to sell its land and redevelop elsewhere within a decade after this entire project is completed, its block looks attractive.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » March 3rd, 2014, 6:28 pm

The one interesting tidbit in the F&C article to me is that the STrib building isn't going to be torn down until mid 2015. Hopefully by then someone can come up with a plan and the funding to save and relocate the arch instead of tearing it down. Now please don't debating the merits of saving the entire building for a 17th time.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 4th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Yeah, one connected to the courthouse on the west, and the juvenile facility on the east. "Yard" would really be awkward. I hope the juvenile facility is able to sell its land and redevelop elsewhere within a decade after this entire project is completed, its block looks attractive.
They just did a bunch of remodeling on the facility. I doubt they'd want to move.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » March 5th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Wells Fargo buys Minneapolis towers that aren't built yet for $217 million. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ml?ana=twt

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 5th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Not that it really matters...but weren't these originally to be 19 floors? Or was that just a typo? Wondering if the plans we have seen at 301 feet are still accurate.