DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 19th, 2013, 2:24 pm

It's really confusing that different renderings show the 3rd St side apartment complexes, some show the ramp directly across 4th St from the stadium, and some show the streets (okay this is the only one), while others don't. The Strib has used old renderings without the 1/3 park block apartment building as well. Makes it tough to keep straight exactly what is planned in Phase I and what isn't...

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 19th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I appologize for being a little behind here, but does anyone know which of the 6 residential buildings are actually proposed to be built concurrent with the office towers? Obviously all six residential buildings total much more than the 400 units that keep getting mentioned, but even the 400 unit number is always mentioned as an "up to". Do we really even know what we're getting here?

Again, appologizes if it was mentioned somewhere recently, but I know it's been changed around a few times and I haven't been keeping up as well as I should be. :oops:

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 19th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Here's a link to a 15MB PDF from the Planning Commission Committee of the Whole meeting: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... 20East.pdf

I think that's about as recent as it gets for public documents, save any changes to signage or sidewalk widening.

To my knowledge, the only pieces NOT getting built in Phase One are the 6-story apartment buildings (2) facing 3rd Street.
What you see on Pages 3, 4, and 14 is what has been approved up to this point.

Let me know if the link doesn't work. I put it in my public Dropbox folder.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 19th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Thanks, twincitizen. Per that document it looks like the building fronting 4th in front of the parking ramp is also not proposed as part of Phase I.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 19th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Ah, I remember seeing that doc before. The last page seems to hint that the next (planned) phase is the northside residential towers, with the residential lining the 4th St side of the new parking ramp being the last phase?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 19th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Not only is that parking ramp going to butt ugly, it will have only one active street face, where a liner building may or may not be built. When a project encompasses an entire city block, it should not have a 'backside'. Look at the poor Hotel Ivy, it sits on a corner with three blank faces. Completely unacceptable...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 19th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Is there any way that can change with the RFP for development on top of the ramp? Since the city is pumping so much money into building/operating the darn thing, can't they force some design minimums for it?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 19th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Not only is that parking ramp going to butt ugly, it will have only one active street face, where a liner building may or may not be built. When a project encompasses an entire city block, it should not have a 'backside'. Look at the poor Hotel Ivy, it sits on a corner with three blank faces. Completely unacceptable...
I don't like the ramp at all, but this isn't exactly true. The first floor space facing Chicago and 3rd were designed to be convertible to commercial, and one of the approval conditions was that the Chicago side be built as commercial from the beginning. I don't think this was being appealed, but I could be wrong.
Is there any way that can change with the RFP for development on top of the ramp? Since the city is pumping so much money into building/operating the darn thing, can't they force some design minimums for it?
Sounds like there is a window here where the ramp design can be changed if someone commits to build something on top of the ramp.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 19th, 2013, 9:58 pm

But for real, when will this rendering be updated to show the park split into three separate ones?
Whether or not it's intentional, posting the outdated renderings on every article about the development has started to get pretty misleading. Someone should give Eric Roper a buzz...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 20th, 2013, 10:08 am

Everyone should send a quick email to the Strib about that photo. That is very different than how the park will actually look.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 20th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Came across this pretty neat idea. Would be fantastic to have something like this for the Vikings or for the Twins. http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/ba ... illage.jsp

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 20th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Funny. I literally drove by this about three minutes ago. It's a novel concept but it's taken sevenish years to start the first phase, and with that half built there's still a big surface parking lot where future phases are supposed to be built.

If this ever fully materializes it will be great for the area. The area around the stadium has some great old brick buildings, like the North Loop, but surface parking lots, ugly parking ramps and fortress-like cement buildings kill the character pretty quick.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 20th, 2013, 6:15 pm

I REALLY didn't like the copy-cat Wrigleyville faux rooftop housing look they put together. At least come up with something original, especially if it's going to be a brand new building. Wrigleyville is neat because it's a neighborhood surrounding a stadium, and it was not designed to be "cute" or "hip" or "edgy", it was designed to house people and a ballpark -- that's it.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » December 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

"Hennepin County judge's ruling is final piece to end lawsuit against Downtown East development"

"A Hennepin County judge denied a request Friday for a temporary restraining order against the $400 million downtown Minneapolis development."

http://www.startribune.com/local/236788531.html

Seems like the writing is on the wall in terms of anything getting in the way of who some may say rushed this through. If the buildings really end up at of over 300ft tall and anything being built on top of the parking garage comes anywhere near or above 300ft. Then it would be a nice start to expanding the skyline toward the Metrodome. I also hope the park is designed to be able to in the future become connected should the CO. change there minds and let the park become whole.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 27th, 2013, 12:15 pm

According to Adam Voge, Ryan/Strib didn't close today as planned. Rick Collins expects it will happen within 30 days.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 28th, 2013, 1:57 am

According to Adam Voge, Ryan/Strib didn't close today as planned. Rick Collins expects it will happen within 30 days.
I may not know what I'm talking about, but I'm sorry, everything about this project and deal just screams S-H-A-D-Y to me!! It's not what's reported, it's what's being dealt under the table on this project that's really truly driving the momentum (or lack thereof).

Blips like these -- although very possibly 100% honest -- give me this notion.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 28th, 2013, 10:02 am

While I think there are some things going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of, I doubt that a delay on the land closing is a signal of something shady. The article states that they are waiting on the city and MSFA to issue the bonds.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 28th, 2013, 12:43 pm

^Right, it's certainly not just this one isolated incident that gives me that impression, it's the whole shabang.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » December 28th, 2013, 1:51 pm

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I'm sorry, everything about this project and deal just screams S-H-A-D-Y to me!! It's not what's reported, it's what's being dealt under the table on this project that's really truly driving the momentum (or lack thereof).

Blips like these -- although very possibly 100% honest -- give me this notion.

If you wish to point out something specific that is "being dealt under the table," then please enlighten us. Otherwise your "SHADY" comment does not add any value. thanks.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 28th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Let's not shoot the messenger. He's just stating what he thinks. This is America after all. Give him a break. If the leader of the Duck Dynasty Klan can state what he wants so can min-chi-cbus.