DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park

Aville_37
Union Depot

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby Aville_37 » May 19th, 2014, 7:03 pm

d

I think this is the way to go. While I there are many things I think the Park Board does right, they obviously are more focused on buying up land to build new parks and maintaining/improving parks outside downtown proper (Chain of Lakes, Minnehaha, etc.) Even the Mill Ruins Park and Sculpture Garden could be better maintained. Many other major cities who have recently or are in the process of building new urban parks also are funded/managed by conservatories.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 20th, 2014, 7:24 am

i don't really get this. it's a squrare block and a half. it's not this huge space. isn't this why we have a park board with it's own taxing authority.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 20th, 2014, 8:38 am

I'm also wondering if we're maybe overthinking this. We're not talking about adding another Loring Park or Powderhorn Park here. It's another Washburn Fair Oaks, at most. I get that this park will need significant programming and maintenance than a neighborhood park, regardless of its size. It just seems like there should a little more public dialogue about this before jumping in head first.

I agree with Council President Johnson's assessment that downtown parks are a different animal- “Because they’re very expensive to maintain and you are able to produce revenue off of them by having events,” Johnson said. “But somebody’s got to take care of that booking, promoting active use, all that sort of thing, and that isn’t necessarily the expertise of people in government.”

But CM Frey's comments freak me out a little: Frey said the agreement could come in the next few weeks because the park is on a “tight timeline.“It’s important that we have an end decision so that we have an entity that is able to fundraise.”

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2014, 8:43 am

I'm keen on the idea, as the best option we have on the table. For public perception and proper governance, it would go a long ways to ensure there's proper separation between a park conservancy and the Wilf/Vikings organizations. If they're going to rent it out all day on gamedays, it should be the same process/fees/etc as any other organizer would have.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » May 20th, 2014, 9:10 am

I'm keen on the idea, as the best option we have on the table. For public perception and proper governance, it would go a long ways to ensure there's proper separation between a park conservancy and the Wilf/Vikings organizations. If they're going to rent it out all day on gamedays, it should be the same process/fees/etc as any other organizer would have.
The Vikings already get exclusive use of the park fifty-some days a year thanks to their million dollar "donation". Do you think we're all the sudden gonna treat the Vikings like any other organization?

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 20th, 2014, 11:25 pm

I am strongly against giving any private stakeholders any more say in the operation of the park than a typical neighbour would receive. The idea of having Ryan, Wells, or the Vikings as board members of a third-party management team for the park reeks like Millennium Park or the All-Star game "clean zone". I really don't enjoy having the priorities of connected private parties commandeer supposedly public space from us. Build a public park, and let the Park Board own and operate it.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 21st, 2014, 10:05 am

I am strongly against giving any private stakeholders any more say in the operation of the park than a typical neighbour would receive. The idea of having Ryan, Wells, or the Vikings as board members of a third-party management team for the park reeks like Millennium Park or the All-Star game "clean zone". I really don't enjoy having the priorities of connected private parties commandeer supposedly public space from us. Build a public park, and let the Park Board own and operate it.

I understand this comment but the difficult bit comes when you see the checks that they can write for maintenance, programming, etc. It becomes hard to turn down checks with a lot of zeros over principle. Unfortunately money is probably going to win out over principle.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 21st, 2014, 12:28 pm

Also, the Park Board in recent history has been a badly managed, parochial organization that's been coasting on the good work done a century ago. I really don't trust them to be the lead on this park.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 21st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Also, the Park Board in recent history has been a badly managed, parochial organization that's been coasting on the good work done a century ago. I really don't trust them to be the lead on this park.
Sadly I agree. With the exception of a few projects - Mills Ruins and RiverFirst. But RiverFirst seems to highly ambitious considering costs, etc.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » May 28th, 2014, 7:15 am

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 28th, 2014, 8:07 am

Judging by the angle and the presence of the Hennepin County building in the foreground, that camera is mounted on the Capella Tower. Sweet.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 28th, 2014, 9:28 am

new york times piece with emphasis on downtown east.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/28/reale ... polis&_r=0

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 28th, 2014, 10:19 am

You can also see this project on from the aerial view webcam of the Vikings stadium.

kyl
Block E

Postby kyl » May 28th, 2014, 9:24 pm

The two new Wells Fargo buildings are ugly. This is 2014. Can't they build something that looks like 2014 and beyond? At least, the new Vikings stadium looks nice. I was afraid it would look like the one in Indianapolis.

kyl
Block E

Postby kyl » May 28th, 2014, 11:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that's KSTP's "illustration" of the air rights development slapped onto an old rendering.

To my knowledge, there aren't any updated renderings of the entire DTE area that include the parking ramp development. Heck, they haven't even updated the renderings to include the streets that will be cutting up the park.

It's also important to remember that the air rights development is essentially a separate project from the Wells Fargo blocks. The proposed hotel/apartment tower hasn't even sought approval by the city yet. Only the sale of the air rights was approved.
Sure there were updated renderings, KSTP is just awful about this kind of thing.

But none of the renderings illustrate the Wells buildings at 17 floors, that I am interested to see.
The park looks grand in the picture, but it'll occupy only two city blocks, so it's even smaller than Gold Medal Park by the Guthrie. Talking about Gold Medal Park, I still don't understand it. Can't they put a sculpture, a fountain or some interesting benches on it to make it look a little bit more interesting??

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 29th, 2014, 9:56 am

It looked like the base of a tower crane was going up on the west block this morning.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 29th, 2014, 10:08 am

The park looks grand in the picture, but it'll occupy only two city blocks, so it's even smaller than Gold Medal Park by the Guthrie. Talking about Gold Medal Park, I still don't understand it. Can't they put a sculpture, a fountain or some interesting benches on it to make it look a little bit more interesting??
Actually, no. The park will be three city blocks - including the LRT stop running through the first block and what seems like it'll be a small, narrow development at the north end of the park. I'm guessing it'll come out to 2 1/2 blocks of park space or so, which should be a bit bigger or comparable to Gold Medal.

(And Gold Medal Park is beautiful, in my opinion. Walking up the spiral to eat lunch or chill with a gorgeous view of the city or falls? Perfect on a nice day.?)
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 29th, 2014, 11:49 am

Yeah no need for a sculpture. Sometimes bright green grass in the city next to a river is all you need

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » May 29th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Actually, no. The park will be three city blocks - including the LRT stop running through the first block and what seems like it'll be a small, narrow development at the north end of the park. I'm guessing it'll come out to 2 1/2 blocks of park space or so, which should be a bit bigger or comparable to Gold Medal.

(And Gold Medal Park is beautiful, in my opinion. Walking up the spiral to eat lunch or chill with a gorgeous view of the city or falls? Perfect on a nice day.?)
I really wish that the apartment building wasnt there and this was a full 3 blocks