North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby 5th Ave Guy » October 22nd, 2015, 11:02 am

Beat me too it. This is some really good news for us who don't really value sex world. In other words, the majority.
Uh. I highly doubt that. Just because it's an adult business doesn't mean it isn't valued or seen as a landmark.
I think the key part of his post was majority. Certainly there are people that like Sex World and hope it never leaves. Both users of the store and people that just like what it brings to the neighborhood. I do think more people will like and use something like this that could replace it (assuming it's done well). The entire intersection is ripe for some attention and opening up this building and actually getting something into the Sinners portion would do a lot to move that along.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 22nd, 2015, 11:11 am

The building kitty corner to this, the boarded up one, is owned by Ackerberg and is going to be renovated soon hopefully. On their website they state that they're searching for the right anchor tenant for offices. There are high ceilings, I think around 16-18 feet, in that building that would make it a pretty nice office space. But right now the building is in rough shape, couple that with the shuttered imported car service place and it makes the corner pretty "blah" right now. So that's why I see this project as a good thing happening.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 22nd, 2015, 2:34 pm

Beat me too it. This is some really good news for us who don't really value sex world. In other words, the majority.
Uh. I highly doubt that. Just because it's an adult business doesn't mean it isn't valued or seen as a landmark.
I think the key part of his post was majority. Certainly there are people that like Sex World and hope it never leaves. Both users of the store and people that just like what it brings to the neighborhood. I do think more people will like and use something like this that could replace it (assuming it's done well). The entire intersection is ripe for some attention and opening up this building and actually getting something into the Sinners portion would do a lot to move that along.
I feel like A LOT of people see sex world as somewhat of a landmark. Maybe it's mostly my age group (30s)? Perhaps part of the problem is that they don't frequent the place at all (though I think they are still doing decent business?), but most any of my friends and acquaintances would be disappointed if there were news of sex world leaving. It's just a fun kitschy place. I mean, its well known and respected enough so that I feel like it might even not be a sure thing to say that the majority of neighborhood folks wouldn't be disappointed if they left.

Aaanyway, I think this renovation will be good...but even better would be to see the building that has been sitting vacant and decaying forever across the street renovated that Grant mentioned! I hope that happens soon!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 22nd, 2015, 2:41 pm

I totally agree that this project could be the catalyst to transform this whole intersection, starting with renovation of the building Grant mentioned, and continued by new development on the empty lot across Washington, and eventual teardown/redevelopment of the "Imported Car Service" building across 2nd Av.

There's no need to get into a whole side discussion about the role of Sexworld* and adult businesses in the urban fabric. We've been there, done that.

*a pointless argument anyways because it's not going away completely

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 22nd, 2015, 2:56 pm

I totally agree that this project could be the catalyst to transform this whole intersection, starting with renovation of the building Grant mentioned, and continued by new development on the empty lot across Washington, and eventual teardown/redevelopment of the "Imported Car Service" building across 2nd Av.

There's no need to get into a whole side discussion about the role of Sexworld* and adult businesses in the urban fabric. We've been there, done that.

*a pointless argument anyways because it's not going away completely

Not really an argument or discussion about how adult businesses fit into the urban fabric at all, I just don't think someone can make the broad sweeping statement that the majority have no value for that particular neighborhood business/landmark that has been there for generations...just can't let that slide as "a discussion about adult businesses we have already had". Lol. That is all. The assumption that most think it is a throw away business was just a bit jarring. They have been a good neighbor and a local landmark for ages....and like you say, doesn't look like they are going away, yet anyway.

PS, a discussion about sexworld wouldn't really be a "side discussion" at all, actually...as the building being discussed is known to pretty much everyone as "the sexworld building"...and the article the discussion stems from has sexworld in the title...and covers the topic. Technicalities:)

Also, agree about the imported car service building, but lets not get into a whole side discussion about that please. Focus!

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » October 22nd, 2015, 3:09 pm

When I lived in Velo across the street, this was pretty much every conversation with either my wife's family from rural Minnesota or just about anyone with really limited knowledge of MPLS geography.

"So we're kinda looking out on Washington Ave but the building is on First Ave and the entrance is on 2nd Street."

"Sorry. I don't know the area that well."

"You know where Whole Foods is at Hennepin and Washington?"

"Um..."

"Across the street from Sex World."

"OOOHHHHH. Got it."

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 22nd, 2015, 3:19 pm

HA!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 22nd, 2015, 3:50 pm

That was not the punchline I was expecting. It was better!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 22nd, 2015, 4:01 pm

I just think it's a shame to loose all the neon and the grittiness. There are plenty of surface lots for shiny and new, I just don't want to sterilize the neighborhood. Clearly the business is staying in some sense... but you can't really use any of the shiny new things as a landmark like this... Just interesting add to what is preserved in a historic building. It's original self or what makes it a cultural icon now. Similar to the convo we had about Valspar. We lost an amazing artwork because it was historic to the 70's not the original time period. Still culturally relevant, and historic, but not enough for tax breaks.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 22nd, 2015, 6:13 pm

I just think it's a shame to loose all the neon and the grittiness. There are plenty of surface lots for shiny and new, I just don't want to sterilize the neighborhood. Clearly the business is staying in some sense... but you can't really use any of the shiny new things as a landmark like this... Just interesting add to what is preserved in a historic building. It's original self or what makes it a cultural icon now. Similar to the convo we had about Valspar. We lost an amazing artwork because it was historic to the 70's not the original time period. Still culturally relevant, and historic, but not enough for tax breaks.
I think we lost the art to the fact that the paint was destroying the brick/block that it was painted to at Valspar. Part of the Valspar work is still on one of their buildings across the street. Sex world will still have their neon on the annex. I see their bright door canopy inviting you in for fun on the picture.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 22nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

Someone please make a joke that combines "sterilizing the neighborhood" with Sexworld.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 23rd, 2015, 9:16 am

New development is going to do to Sexworld what Sexworld has to do with their viewing booths.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 23rd, 2015, 9:33 am

Let's hope they use bleach instead of floor to ceiling windows on the booths.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 23rd, 2015, 10:00 am

Maybe the viewing booths can be reused in a nod to historical preservation. I hear Millenials love micro offices.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 23rd, 2015, 10:10 am

The viewing booths still exist? I thought they were on the 3rd floor that was shut down during the last contraction.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 23rd, 2015, 11:10 am

They moved them to the 2nd floor. Or was it they closed the second floor and moved them to the third?... Someone want to go on their lunch break and solve this mystery?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » November 9th, 2015, 9:24 am

A few pictures from yesterday of the brew houses coming to the North Loop.

Lucid Brewing - This is the N 7th Ave side, taken from the corner of 5th St and 7th.

Lucid Brewing taproom under construction in the North Loop. by Zeke, on Flickr

And here's the new patio area at Modist, right by the exit of Bookmen's private drive/parking area on N 5th Ave.

Modest Brewing under construction in the North Loop. by Zeke, on Flickr

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 24th, 2015, 10:03 pm

214 pages of the proposed Sex World rehab for HPC 12/1. Unless you want to see some very in-depth schedules of the windows they want to use, skip 45-130

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 152189.pdf

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 28th, 2015, 9:18 am

214 pages of the proposed Sex World rehab for HPC 12/1. Unless you want to see some very in-depth schedules of the windows they want to use, skip 45-130

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 152189.pdf
Am I the only one who think the fact that the HPC can force someone to write 85 pages about bleeping windows is a problem?

Just once I would like the HPC, and historic preservationist in general, provide a viable economic solutions to save a "historic" building instead of sitting on the sidelines dictating every little detail to people who are willing to risk their own money.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » November 28th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Those are just manufacturer's cut sheets of the various windows that are proposed for the project. Freely available on the web. It is not like someone at the architect's office sat down and drew all those details.

The bigger question, yes, I am alright that the HPC requires that kind of documentation. Crappy windows can easily ruin an otherwise good renovation. Good windows are expensive and would be prone to value engineering. This level of documentation holds developers accountable.