North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby 5th Ave Guy » May 25th, 2016, 11:08 am

Didn't Bunkers have the same "argument" about the parking next to them that's going through planning?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2016, 12:33 pm

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 7th, 2016, 1:21 pm

A percentage the salvaged pavers will be unusable and it is likely that pavers of the same brand and vintage may need to be purchased from outside the project to supplement the usable salvaged pavers.
I did not realize that Minneapolis was going to match the historic pavers this exactly. That's really cool.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » June 7th, 2016, 2:06 pm

What is with the histrionics on that forum (do a little research before assuming the worst)?? Like EOst said - the pavers are being salvaged and re-laid. One only has to look at the work they're doing on 6th to see that they're removing the brick pavers, placing them on palettes (and then wrapping those in plastic), and setting them aside until the road work is done and they're ready to be put back.

That being said...I confronted someone on Sunday evening who had ripped open the plastic on one palette and was putting bricks in her truck! I told her the bricks were going to be reused, she got defensive and wouldn't stop, so I called the police to report a theft from a construction site...and she tore off. They have her license plate number, though.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 7th, 2016, 8:25 pm

It's kind of funny because the company I used to work for used to buy pallets of flint and purrington pavers from the city for dirty cheap and then turn around and sell them retail for 2 plus dollars each, and the whole time I was thinking that the city should really be holding on to them. They were super popular. And here we are.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2016, 10:41 pm

What is with the histrionics on that forum (do a little research before assuming the worst)?? Like EOst said - the pavers are being salvaged and re-laid. One only has to look at the work they're doing on 6th to see that they're removing the brick pavers, placing them on palettes (and then wrapping those in plastic), and setting them aside until the road work is done and they're ready to be put back.

That being said...I confronted someone on Sunday evening who had ripped open the plastic on one palette and was putting bricks in her truck! I told her the bricks were going to be reused, she got defensive and wouldn't stop, so I called the police to report a theft from a construction site...and she tore off. They have her license plate number, though.
Good for you....karma will catch up to that person, but I'm glad someone stood up to that crap!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 8th, 2016, 8:20 am

The city does sell them to residents. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/publicwork ... icks_index

Nathan did you work for a demolition/construction company with a site in Eagan? They seem to be the current offenders for reselling these at a ridiculous markup.

I've been in the market for some of these to create a small path along the curb edge of my boulevard garden.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 8th, 2016, 8:58 am

No, it was Hedberg landscape supplies, you could try historic stone in North though too!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 9th, 2016, 7:48 am

Red Cow owner, ex-Parella chef plan North Loop restaurant
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... -loop.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 9th, 2016, 8:40 am

Here's the full article referenced in that one: http://mspmag.com/Blogs/Dara/June-2016/ ... lian-Spot/

It's going in the "Imported Car Service" building, across 2nd from SexWorld: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9837054 ... 56!6m1!1e1

With the renovation of the SexWorld building, and now this, this intersection is finally getting some much needed aesthetic improvements. Has there been any news about the extremely dilapidated building kitty corner from SexWorld? It needs a ton of exterior work.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 9th, 2016, 9:55 am

Has there been any news about the extremely dilapidated building kitty corner from SexWorld? It needs a ton of exterior work.
That was literally my first thought once I figured out where this was located.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 9th, 2016, 9:56 am

Rumors, but nothing solid so far. I think Ackerberg sold it earlier this year.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 9th, 2016, 11:23 am

Tangent question to this, but how much does the city spend/loan out for historic restoration. Or is that controlled by the state?

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 9th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Is the falling apart building on the other corner protected or can someone demo it and build from scratch?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 9th, 2016, 12:56 pm

It is most definitely a protected building, as seen on page 104 of this doc: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 264533.pdf (200-204 Washington Ave N)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 9th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Yeah, definitely protected. Even if it weren't in the Warehouse District, the building was built by Thomas Lowry and it's one of the oldest commercial buildings in the city.

Anyone know if this is still going on?:

http://www.elementmn.com/lowry/

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 9th, 2016, 3:25 pm

I might be remembering this wrong, but wasn't there a plan to build a tall condo tower on that corner before the crash? That must have included the existing building then if so.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 9th, 2016, 8:51 pm

That building is owned by John Rimarcik, owner of the rest of the SexWorld Block and Monte Carlo. I assume he's just been waiting for the right investment to come along, but he does good work.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 9th, 2016, 10:43 pm

I might be remembering this wrong, but wasn't there a plan to build a tall condo tower on that corner before the crash? That must have included the existing building then if so.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 16th, 2016, 9:41 pm