Postby HiawathaGuy » May 28th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Unlocked:
Greco, Opus plan Minneapolis North Loop apartments
http://finance-commerce.com/2015/05/gre ... partments/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby Nathan » May 28th, 2015, 3:06 pm

I'd like it a lot better if it were rotated 180, so that the amenity deck faced the alley. Wouldn't have the views, though.
or the sun.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 28th, 2015, 3:10 pm

I'd like it a lot better if it were rotated 180, so that the amenity deck faced the alley. Wouldn't have the views, though.
It's more about the sun than anything - rotating it would mean the deck wouldn't get any sunlight. That would be pretty shitty.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 28th, 2015, 3:12 pm

I'm actually ok with a McApartment in some place like this. 95% of downtowners aren't going to go near this site unless the viaducts are torn down to make a park. That's not to say we should encourage this kind of crap because as we've all seen (especially with Opus) they can and will try and pull this off somewhere a lot more valuable.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 28th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Also, I'm totally in love with the White Brick. super classy and different.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » May 28th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Also, I'm totally in love with the White Brick. super classy and different.
That white brick could turn out to be super sharp. Certainly nicer than brown stucco.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 28th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Warehouse historic district, I don't think they could get away with anything but brick or quality metal. Cement board would be shot down by the HPC without blinking an eye. They would tell them to go back to square one if they even tried it.

Will save my likes or dislikes until I see a better finally proposal. Do like the lighter colored brick, and white would place off some of the older white buildings in the WD that are already there. But not a fan of matchbox apartments.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » May 28th, 2015, 8:28 pm

I like the amount of retail in this proposal - it's certainly pushing the envelope and extending retail activity to a corner of NL without much retail yet.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 28th, 2015, 11:02 pm

I especially like the 'ghosted' magi-paks.

It'd look fabulous at 8 stories in concrete.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 29th, 2015, 7:20 am

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 29th, 2015, 7:50 am

That's good snarking, Grant.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 29th, 2015, 8:05 am

Is this a legitimate comment?

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » May 29th, 2015, 8:40 am

I hope not...

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 29th, 2015, 2:07 pm

So can someone tell me what's "wrong" with it? I like it better than most of the "slap a dozen random finishes and a dozen different elevations" projects that we've seen so much of.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 29th, 2015, 2:48 pm

So can someone tell me what's "wrong" with it? I like it better than most of the "slap a dozen random finishes and a dozen different elevations" projects that we've seen so much of.
Grant seems to be the one taking exception. Maybe he'll chime in.

It's too schematic for me to even evaluate.

My question was directed at the "ghosted" Magic Paks. I don't know if that was a real comment but that is just a schematic box, not a Magic Pak grill. Again, can't evaluate it because it's not even close to "real."

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 29th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Yeah I was going to clarify last night. To me it just feels like it's missing something. And I'm especially getting a bit tired of esg. Next to stacks, this just looks odd. And I realize that the amenity deck is there because of the sun, but these people are so low. Their view will be the highway. Unless the developers know something we don't know. I'd rather like to see a full rectangular warehouse type apartment with a roof amenity. I'd just make a lot more sense to me.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 29th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Grant, many of the old buildings were built with light wells, Note Plymouth Building, Baker complex as a great examples. The amenities deck is an example of a light well. I'd rather have the deck in the sun than in the north side where it would get little if any sunlight. True this is being built kind of backwards, but I prefer it to having a light well on the north.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 29th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Is this a legitimate comment?
Seems to greatly downplay their actual visual intrusion in the rhythm of openings , but as you said, it's schematic. Thought they seem to have wanted to convey actual finishes.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 30th, 2015, 6:45 am

I don't think the renderings are schematic... I think they are true to color and detail, it's white brick and mortar which make it look kind of like an unfinished sketch up design, but I think it's fully rendered. I wouldn't be surprised if the magic packs are actually white like that.

I don't think the orientation of this building is improper at all, I think they made the right decision with the light well. Considering passive solar design techniques.

Also we're all routing for the 4 th street viaduct to come down at some point right?

This gives me a very hip bauhaus kind of vibe that I think is very different for esg. If they can't change the building type/structure/shape at least this design accomplishes differentiating itself from they other new buildings and fitting in with the historic neighborhood without looking like a yawner.

My big question is: is this s matte white brick or glazed brick that has a bit of a gloss to it. That would be pretty cool.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 30th, 2015, 7:37 am

I like the white brick and windows which give it some unique qualities. Agree if the brick has a slightly shiny glaze it will accentuate the white even more creating a very modern look.