North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby MinnMonkey » February 10th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Does anyone know which project just had the tower crane put up this past week a block off the 94 viaduct? From the looks of it, it appears to be for a 8-10 story building.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » February 12th, 2020, 3:47 pm

It is the Schafer Richardson project. It has its own thread a page or two ago listed as 725 3rd St N.

It is a 6 story apartment building with a small commercial space on first floor. I think the crane had to be taller than normal due to the adjacent condos which are a bit taller.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 11th, 2020, 10:13 am

I'm surprised I haven't found any information on the Vesi project on River Road?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 11th, 2020, 10:24 am

We have a thread for it back here, but it doesn't look like anyone's had an update in 15 months or so.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 4th, 2020, 8:21 am

On the edge of the North Loop, this drone shot from UrbanWorks shows The Redwell as topped out (also has a nice view of the downtown and the North Loop that makes the whole area look more filled in than it is).

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 10th, 2020, 8:10 am

Great River Landing:
(72 homes for men who have recently been incarcerated or homeless, lot of information about this great project here)

The Redwell:
(129 units, 46 parking spaces)

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 6th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Via CM Steve Fletcher's email list (emphasis mine):
This week, I visited encampments in the parks, and had a chance to meet with organizers and advocates who are working both to hold the encampments together in safety and relative comfort for now, and get to more sustainable housing solutions. People who are playing hands-on roles with these encampments deserve our gratitude, respect, and continued efforts to support their efforts.

One group is proposing a particularly innovative solution - an indoor deployment of Tiny Homes in an industrial space just North of the North Loop on Washington - which shows a lot of promise. The group has identified experienced partners to design and implement this kind of supportive housing structure, and make a good case for the location. They don’t need to make a case for the need.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns about the proposal, I want to hear from you. I’m convinced we can design this in a way that minimizes impact on the surrounding neighbors, and creates a welcoming space for neighbors currently residing in our parks. In the meantime, you can learn more about the project at indoorvillages.org and you can even go in person to see one of these tiny homes for yourself – they’ve set one up at the Midtown Greenway to help people understand the concept better. I think this is an important way that a Ward 3 neighborhood can lean into the challenge of unsheltered homelessness and be part of the solution, and I’m hopeful we can overcome the remaining hurdles and make this (among other solutions) happen.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 8th, 2020, 9:13 am

If you live in this neighborhood, ask for the specifics of the proposal. The details matter here. My neighborhood stopped the County from putting an emergency shelter in our neighborhood. There were various reasons for this, but one of the biggest concerns was that it didn't come with the funding to actually serve the residents and was just designed to warehouse people. Overall when we asked important questions we weren't able to get answers. This looks like it may be a better proposal than what we had. There is or was also another proposal for a shelter nearby on Plymouth and Fremont, the one they wanted to place in our neighborhood would have also been off of Plymouth Ave

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » November 25th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Looks like work has started on 310 N 2nd Street. This is the lot on the same block as ex-TMBR, and for some technical reason, construction had to start on this before it could start on that.

I'm still grumpy about this one, which is way overparked. But it will look nice and fill-in more of the North Loop, and continue to create an interesting urban character on both sides of the railroad. Hopefully ex-TMBR follows soon.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 1st, 2020, 4:03 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ining.html

I wonder if we will see some other hotels do this assuming the predictions of a long covid winter come true and restaurants remain closed

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » March 5th, 2021, 11:04 am

Minneapolis/STP Business Journals is reporting that a developer has purchased the former Industrial Lighting Supply building on N 2nd street (right across from the street from the new West Elm) and will be converting it to lofts and commercial space. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... house.html

Because of the paywall, I can't see the rest of the article beyond that blurb. That said, I'm super excited about this! This part of the North Loop is becoming a really walkable retail destination, and this added infill will give the area a larger population base. I just hope the people behind the Commutator Co. building development stop dragging their feet.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 5th, 2021, 12:33 pm

No details in the article either
That’s according to Minneapolis-based commercial real estate firm Assembly, which listed the 1897 building at 200 N. Second St. for sale. A certificate of real estate value has not yet been made public, but Assembly reports the buyer, Minneapolis-based Iron Store LLC, acquired the property for just shy of $2.3 million.
No additional details on the new owner's plans for the building were immediately available.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 22nd, 2021, 4:37 pm

North Loop looks to be getting a 25,000 sq ft park.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600037233/

Thanks to Schafer and Richardson selling some of their land as they will build new around it.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 22nd, 2021, 4:40 pm

Sounds like the Park Board might not do anything with it for awhile. It would be nice if somehow they would allow the local neighborhood association to put in a few benches and some planters or something. Oh...this park may end up with the most dogs visiting it of any park in the city haha.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 22nd, 2021, 5:47 pm

I imagine they'd be happy to allow the neighborhood org to do something like that. Not quite the same thing, but there's a "welcome to the North Loop" sculpture thingy that they put up next to the 394 entrance at Washington and 3rd.

I looked through the NLNA agendas to see if there was anything like that that they've discussed. Didn't find anything about the park, but according to their P&Z agenda for Wednesday, there will be presentations from Solhem on the conversion of some of the office space in 724 N 1st St (next to the Acme building, across from Borealis) to residential, and from Hartland Realty on the conversion of the office space in 129 N 2nd St (across from the not-West Elm end of the West Elm building) to residential. Might be the end of offices, might just be the effect of the newer spec office buildings filtering down, might be a combination of both.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 23rd, 2021, 1:05 pm

Seems that Bassett Creek runs through the property underground through here. I don’t expect this to daylight the creek, but I hope it is on the list of future possibilities.

The feasibility study on daylighting creeks in Hennepin even rated this stretch right through here as doable. Maybe that’s the part the property owner is selling?

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » March 23rd, 2021, 3:17 pm

Seems that Bassett Creek runs through the property underground through here. I don’t expect this to daylight the creek, but I hope it is on the list of future possibilities.

The feasibility study on daylighting creeks in Hennepin even rated this stretch right through here as doable. Maybe that’s the part the property owner is selling?
I thought I read somewhere that day lighting probably isn't practical due to the smell that would come out of the tunnel entrances.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Anondson
IDS Center

North Loop Neighborhood

Postby Anondson » March 23rd, 2021, 3:19 pm

I heard that too. Supposedly the Itasca Building tried daylighting the creek in their atrium only to place glass over it due to the stink.

Though I wonder if the stink could be dealt with by aeration of the stream at parts, daylighting in pieces along the course. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 23rd, 2021, 4:46 pm

I suspect that the creek bed elevation might be quite low relative to the surrounding areas, making integrating it into a small park difficult.

Also, my understanding is that most (all?) of the natural flow of Bassett Creek was diverted when they built I-94, which if true would mean that most of the water in the tunnel is storm sewer from the surrounding areas.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 23rd, 2021, 4:50 pm