North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby MNdible » February 3rd, 2013, 9:48 pm

Am I remembering correctly that Corazon (fancy gift store) was briefly located in this building (where the slightly newer looking red awnings are)?

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 3rd, 2013, 10:06 pm

Lets turn ourselves into some development or lobbying group and make that our headquarters. We could push local governments toward smart urban development and endorse pro transit politicians. ;-)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 3rd, 2013, 11:59 pm

Call John Rimarcik, he owns it, and the rest of the block. He's very shrewd with the dollars, but does good things when you get him motivated. Look due west at 3rd and Washington.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » February 4th, 2013, 12:38 am

It's a beautiful building.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » February 4th, 2013, 10:07 am

Could we all pool our money and buy this building and remodel it?
Love this building. Wonder if there have ever been any offers to buy it and the surrounding lot for redevelopment. At least it's still standing - thinking it will be renovated some day.

This building and the one The Foundry is located in are two on my wish list to be renovated. I would love the building Foundry is in to be turned into something like this in NYC: http://www.theparknyc.com (specially the Atrium).

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » February 4th, 2013, 10:08 am

MplsTodd
Block E

Postby MplsTodd » February 4th, 2013, 11:37 am

Am I remembering correctly that Corazon (fancy gift store) was briefly located in this building (where the slightly newer looking red awnings are)?
Yes, I went there a few times to buy assorted gifts. I liked that store and went to it a few times when it had moved to Bridgewater (where it even had free parking). Too bad it didn't last. I would think the outlook for unique, creative gifts would improve with all the new residents moving in in the next few years.

I also agree about this building. To me, it's a natural for adaptive reuse. Retail/Restaurant bar on first floor, office upstairs (maybe residential, if the glass is well insulated for sound). I remember a few years ago, when an out-of-town developer (from NYC??) was going to build a large mixed-use development here: hotel, condos, retail...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 4th, 2013, 11:39 am

Pretty sure that store is still open at Lake and Mississippi Blvd, in the building where Longfellow Grill and Dunn Bros are.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 4th, 2013, 11:58 am

...I remember a few years ago, when an out-of-town developer (from NYC??) was going to build a large mixed-use development here: hotel, condos, retail...

It was called 'The Pacific'. Or 'Pacific Flats'. I'd pull photos from Minnescraper.com, but the page is now officially dead. Unless DC's living heirs pay the Go Daddy renewal

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 4th, 2013, 12:06 pm

This it?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 4th, 2013, 12:44 pm

crap I hope someone got an archive

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 4th, 2013, 2:04 pm

For those of you who want to fix up that blighted beauty...

http://joe-urban.com/archive/crowdfundi ... -urbanism/

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » February 4th, 2013, 2:33 pm

This it?
Really hoped that this project would've happened. I believe City Council didn't approve it because of zoning/height, etc. requirements. Believe it would've included a hotel.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 4th, 2013, 5:25 pm

That's it. It actually involved the whole block at one point.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » February 4th, 2013, 5:31 pm

It seems, from my lack of noticing any, that hotels are sorely lacking in rather popular parts of town. North Loop, Old St Anthony/St Anthony Main, Uptown...Whittier does at least have the city's hostel. I know that from living there for almost a month because apartments fell through after getting here. Imagine the better impression visitors would have by having such places as a de-facto Mpls experience instead of having to seek them out on their own.

As it stands, people think Downtown is typically Midwestern, yet I'm having a hard time thinking of many Midwestern downtowns could compete with North Loop (I'll seriously take that over The Loop hands down) and I'm having a hard time coming up with competition. Columbus might in some regards, but that would require all of it instead of one smaller section: they do have a tiki bar right in downtown proper, North Market, and a bomb-ass Venezuelan restaurant with $4 empanadas as big as your head that come with a creamy cilantro sauce. Anyway, I support hotels branching out to other parts of Downtown and other neighborhoods; I would think it worthy enough of an endeavor for the city to offer subsidies of some sort for that to happen. I know that most people are not like me and researching, let alone geeking out over how intact the urbanism is and how walkable and bikeable this city is. Not until they end up setting foot here, that is. And North Loop is a bit off the beaten path: I haven't seen any wayfinding signs pointing you in that direction from Nicollet or Hennepin.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » February 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Milwaukee's Third Ward and the adjoining neighborhoods along the Milwaukee River are a step above the North Loop IMO. I love the North Loop, but it's about a decade behind the Third Wards development. The Iron Horse Hotel is amazing.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » February 5th, 2013, 7:23 am

It seems, from my lack of noticing any, that hotels are sorely lacking in rather popular parts of town. North Loop, Old St Anthony/St Anthony Main, Uptown...Whittier does at least have the city's hostel. I know that from living there for almost a month because apartments fell through after getting here. Imagine the better impression visitors would have by having such places as a de-facto Mpls experience instead of having to seek them out on their own.

As it stands, people think Downtown is typically Midwestern, yet I'm having a hard time thinking of many Midwestern downtowns could compete with North Loop (I'll seriously take that over The Loop hands down) and I'm having a hard time coming up with competition. Columbus might in some regards, but that would require all of it instead of one smaller section: they do have a tiki bar right in downtown proper, North Market, and a bomb-ass Venezuelan restaurant with $4 empanadas as big as your head that come with a creamy cilantro sauce. Anyway, I support hotels branching out to other parts of Downtown and other neighborhoods; I would think it worthy enough of an endeavor for the city to offer subsidies of some sort for that to happen. I know that most people are not like me and researching, let alone geeking out over how intact the urbanism is and how walkable and bikeable this city is. Not until they end up setting foot here, that is. And North Loop is a bit off the beaten path: I haven't seen any wayfinding signs pointing you in that direction from Nicollet or Hennepin.
Agreed. Hotels in hot neighborhoods would be a huge boost to drawing in out of town visitors.

Separate note, which venezuelan restaurant in COlumbus are you talking about. And several weeks ago I went to that Tiki bar... awesome.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 5th, 2013, 5:44 pm

There is a Ye Olde Towne Place Suites in the North Loop, on N. 2nd Street.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Yes, and I have a few colleagues who stay there when in town despite the office being a car ride away. Business travelers often like to stay in these hot neighborhoods since they have more life than many areas of the CBD once you get back from the office. I love hanging out in smaller neighborhoods when I travel on business, rather than hanging out in some hotel bar or formula restaurant in that city's CBD.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » February 5th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Agreed. Hotels in hot neighborhoods would be a huge boost to drawing in out of town visitors.

Separate note, which venezuelan restaurant in COlumbus are you talking about. And several weeks ago I went to that Tiki bar... awesome.
El Arepazo off of Gay & High (one of the best intersections name-wise ever, although Gay & Young with the Catholic Diocese is up there for the irony) which is just a handful of blocks west of the tiki bar, as is one of the best lattes anywhere right up the street from the restaurant in question in C-bus, Mpls, or even Chi-Town. Cafe Brioso is no joke.

As far as hotels, I think Dinkytown has one and I know 7 Corners does...though Seward I'm not so sure. Although that neighborhood would really need wayfinding if you ever wanted to easily find Hexagon and Memory Lanes.