North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby seanrichardryan » February 13th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Landscape Research will write a historic survey with whatever conclusion best suits your desired outcome.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 13th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Proposal for a new building at 310 2nd Street North. 59 units, 124 parking spaces. Is this some kind of sick joke?
Let's not ignore that the proposal also has 1,400 square feet of commercial space, which could have anywhere from 5-15 spaces earmarked. I'm of two minds on this... On one hand, who is actually harmed by apartments including excess underground parking? It doesn't increase impervious surface, it doesn't add curb cuts or do anything else to harm the surrounding urban environment. On the other hand, it still seems like a no-brainer for the developer to ditch that lowest parking level (39 spaces) as a cost-saving measure. The remaining 85 spaces would be more than sufficient for 59 units and the small commercial space.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 13th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Proposal for a new building at 310 2nd Street North. 59 units, 124 parking spaces. Is this some kind of sick joke?
Let's not ignore that the proposal also has 1,400 square feet of commercial space, which could have anywhere from 5-15 spaces earmarked. I'm of two minds on this... On one hand, who is actually harmed by apartments including excess underground parking? It doesn't increase impervious surface, it doesn't add curb cuts or do anything else to harm the surrounding urban environment. On the other hand, it still seems like a no-brainer for the developer to ditch that lowest parking level (39 spaces) as a cost-saving measure. The remaining 85 spaces would be more than sufficient for 59 units and the small commercial space.
As a matter of fact, I wrote about this exact question yesterday, on the subject of the Fed's proposed parking ramp.

We are all harmed by excess parking, because the research shows unequivocally that excess parking leads to excess driving. Excess driving, of course, leads to more emissions of carbon and other pollutants, more danger on the road, and a less vibrant neighborhood. If a developer wants to light their money on fire, that's their concern, but if a developer want to light their money on fire in a way that harms the environment, we all should get involved.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » February 13th, 2019, 10:57 pm

I presume this will be paid parking, not “free” parking, so it’s somewhat different from your (excellent) article.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 14th, 2019, 8:49 am

I think the Fed's ramp will be paid parking, and the proposed project at 310 2nd St will be "free to residents (obviously folded into the cost paid by the tenant). It doesn't dramatically change the analysis either way, unless they charge substantially more than the current market rate. Parking in Minneapolis is underpriced if you start adding up the externalities of what it induces.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2019, 11:18 am

North Loop is finally getting a Lulu

http://mspmag.com/shop-and-style/lulule ... orth-loop/

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » February 19th, 2019, 12:17 pm

The article said "NoLo" for north loop... is this another East Town moment. Why.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Its much more socially acceptable to say Nolo. Nolo's kitchen, Nolo Flats, D. Nolo.

thisisdeception
Block E

Postby thisisdeception » February 19th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Are we going with "no-low" or "no-loo"?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 13th, 2019, 11:56 am

When I was visiting town a couple weeks ago, I hadn't really planned to get lunch at the new-ish Graze food hall, but I was close by and hungry and so I did. My thoughts were, (A) It's really quite nice, and (B) at lunchtime on a weekday it was mostly full—just from my single sample it feels to me like it should be a successful venture.

I'm interested in what people's impressions will be of the Galley food hall, a slightly different concept, which will open pretty soon in the newly-constructed Nordic office building nearby. Between Midtown Global Market, Market House Collaborative, Keg and Case, Graze, Galley, and Dayton's (did I forget any?) in the future, there are a number of really interesting adaptations of this general food hall model that are open or soon to open in the Twin Cities, and I pretty much always enjoy them and they pretty much always seem to be well-patronized.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » December 13th, 2019, 12:17 pm

When I was visiting town a couple weeks ago, I hadn't really planned to get lunch at the new-ish Graze food hall, but I was close by and hungry and so I did. My thoughts were, (A) It's really quite nice, and (B) at lunchtime on a weekday it was mostly full—just from my single sample it feels to me like it should be a successful venture.

I'm interested in what people's impressions will be of the Galley food hall, a slightly different concept, which will open pretty soon in the newly-constructed Nordic office building nearby. Between Midtown Global Market, Market House Collaborative, Keg and Case, Graze, Galley, and Dayton's (did I forget any?) in the future, there are a number of really interesting adaptations of this general food hall model that are open or soon to open in the Twin Cities, and I pretty much always enjoy them and they pretty much always seem to be well-patronized.
You missed Lynhall. Maybe others.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 13th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Last I checked, despite the name, LynHall wasn't a food hall in the way that any of the ones Alex listed are.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » December 13th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Last I checked, despite the name, LynHall wasn't a food hall in the way that any of the ones Alex listed are.
I put them in the category of "...general food hall model ..." mentioned in the above post. Though they are a slightly different business and people can disagree on how broad that categorization should be.

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » January 22nd, 2020, 3:06 pm

Pocket park proposed at the TractorWorks site as part of the implementation of the 8th Avenue Streamscape envisioned in the Downtown Service Area Master Plan. MPRB Planning Committee taking up agreements for easement, development, and dispursing funds today.

http://minneapolisparksmn.iqm2.com/Citi ... nline=True (Item 4.3 starts on page 36, graphics on page 66)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 23rd, 2020, 10:39 am

On one hand, I'm very excited that this connection is finally being made.

On the other hand, I don't think they could have made the connection less obvious and intuitive if they tried.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 23rd, 2020, 10:41 am

Yeah, there better be some kind of signage, since it's going to be totally invisible from the sidewalk on Washington.

I'm sure there won't be though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 23rd, 2020, 12:18 pm

Is something going into the empty parking lot space on Washington? If that was all patio and green space, it would be a huge improvement.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 23rd, 2020, 12:37 pm

According to the image in the packet, the "park" will include a ~10' wide sidewalk on the north side of that parking lot (lining up with the north sidewalk of 8th St on the other side of Washington), and the rest will remain a parking lot. Better than nothing, I suppose, but it's pretty underwhelming.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 23rd, 2020, 3:46 pm

Is there a drawing anywhere of this “8th Ave streamscape” concept? How far do they envision it extending to the south/west? It’s frustrating how the city hasn’t made connecting 8th Ave between 3rd St & 5th St (under the viaducts) a priority. At minimum that ought to be a high-priority ped-bike connection. I used to think it should be an actual street for cars too, but that’s probably overkill with 10th Ave right there. A ped/bike/green path would still do the job of breaking up the superblocks on either side of the viaducts

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » January 23rd, 2020, 5:26 pm

Is there a drawing anywhere of this “8th Ave streamscape” concept? How far do they envision it extending to the south/west? It’s frustrating how the city hasn’t made connecting 8th Ave between 3rd St & 5th St (under the viaducts) a priority. At minimum that ought to be a high-priority ped-bike connection. I used to think it should be an actual street for cars too, but that’s probably overkill with 10th Ave right there. A ped/bike/green path would still do the job of breaking up the superblocks on either side of the viaducts
See the Downtown Service Area Master Plan approved by the MPRB in November 2017:
https://www.minneapolisparks.org/_asset ... 17_ch4.pdf (starting at page 79)