North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby seanrichardryan » March 23rd, 2021, 5:27 pm

The 'Deep Tunnel' to divert the creek was built under downtown in the 1980s due to fear of flooding causing the century old 'cut & cover' tunnel to collapse. Basset now comes out below the falls. The old tunnel collects some excess creek water, and lots of storm water from the North Loop.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 23rd, 2021, 5:35 pm

https://www.mwmo.org/planning/old-bassett-creek-tunnel/

The old tunnel is just below the surface, it was built within the old creek bed.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 23rd, 2021, 6:14 pm

Is there a way this park could include some minor wetlands or filtration system the creek before whatever flow goes through the old tunnel makes it to the river? Seems like anything that cleans water and stores water is valuable due to climate change. There is also a lot of concrete/asphalt in this area. This also would open up new funding mechanisms. Even if the park ended up being a small pond people could walk their dogs around with a small playground or nature play area in a couple corners it would be nice. Seems like there are ways around the smell as well.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 24th, 2021, 2:15 pm

North Loop NA Planning meeting agenda for tonight

https://2w5swnzapmf232d0u3vwgc1u-wpengi ... h-2021.pdf

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 24th, 2021, 2:34 pm

FEDERAL RESERVE BANK
90 HENNEPIN AVE (FENCE REPLACEMENT &
PARKING RAMP)
👀

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 24th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Let’s direct that conversation to the Fed Reserve thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4466&p=159346#p159346

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 24th, 2021, 9:25 pm

I thought we fixed giant emojis lol

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 25th, 2021, 8:33 am

Why would we fix giant emoji? They're amazing.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 25th, 2021, 2:02 pm

It is a level of detail we usually don't get to see

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 25th, 2021, 7:30 pm

They're *iconic* at this point.
💯

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 29th, 2021, 12:24 pm

The old tunnel is just below the surface, it was built within the old creek bed.
So, I understand it's not a "deep" tunnel, but I suspect (based on its portal into the Mississippi) that its water level is well below the current surrounding grade.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » March 29th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Yea based on the new bus garage site where they uncovered it the bottom of the tunnel is still a good 15 feet below grade

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » April 19th, 2021, 10:11 pm

https://www.mwmo.org/planning/old-bassett-creek-tunnel/

This is great! I had a fantasy map day lighting and meandering the creek with paths connecting the river to Theodore Wirth park. To bad the new bus garage is being built on top of the creek but any land over the creek is a win in my book. One question I have is how does the creek pass I94? Does it dive under like a P trap?

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » April 20th, 2021, 6:48 am

From what i remember when the bus garage had the tunnel cut open I think the tunnel is just already lower than 94 at that point. The tunnel was probably like 15 feet below grade at the bus garage site

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » April 25th, 2021, 8:02 pm

So they filled in a valley when they covered the creek? Guess day lighting the creek would take much more land than I had originally thought. At least this solves crossing I94.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » May 7th, 2021, 6:40 pm

North Loop looks to be getting a 25,000 sq ft park.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600037233/

Thanks to Schafer and Richardson selling some of their land as they will build new around it.
All for it - thing it will be a great amenity for the neighborhood. Still - while I realize it took a lot of planning/effort - seems like more affluent areas are able to get the city, etc. to get things done more quickly than poorer areas - i.e. new brick paved streets/landscaping etc. a new park, etc. It would be nice to things happen so easily and well done in other areas as well.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » May 9th, 2021, 12:40 am

North Loop looks to be getting a 25,000 sq ft park.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600037233/

Thanks to Schafer and Richardson selling some of their land as they will build new around it.
All for it - thing it will be a great amenity for the neighborhood. Still - while I realize it took a lot of planning/effort - seems like more affluent areas are able to get the city, etc. to get things done more quickly than poorer areas - i.e. new brick paved streets/landscaping etc. a new park, etc. It would be nice to things happen so easily and well done in other areas as well.
To be fair this location is one of the biggest areas in need of a park according to the trust for public land.

Cinzano71
Block E

Postby Cinzano71 » May 25th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Good sign for the new North Loop green space!
Excavator arrived yesterday.
IMG_0056.jpeg

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 21st, 2022, 9:46 am

Minneapolis/STP Business Journals is reporting that a developer has purchased the former Industrial Lighting Supply building on N 2nd street (right across from the street from the new West Elm) and will be converting it to lofts and commercial space. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... house.html

Because of the paywall, I can't see the rest of the article beyond that blurb. That said, I'm super excited about this! This part of the North Loop is becoming a really walkable retail destination, and this added infill will give the area a larger population base. I just hope the people behind the Commutator Co. building development stop dragging their feet.
This is on the upcoming Planning Commission agenda. Here is the packet.

The renovation will build 13 units, with 2 compact car parking spaces, and 23 bicycle parking spaces. The first floor will retain a commercial space.
Looks like work has started on 310 N 2nd Street. This is the lot on the same block as ex-TMBR, and for some technical reason, construction had to start on this before it could start on that.

I'm still grumpy about this one, which is way overparked. But it will look nice and fill-in more of the North Loop, and continue to create an interesting urban character on both sides of the railroad. Hopefully ex-TMBR follows soon.
So in the summer of 2020, the existing building on this site was demolished. But the proposed and approved new building was not built. Now it looks like the land has been sold and a new developer has pitched something different and better in almost every single respect. This is on the upcoming Planning Commission CoW agenda. Here's the packet.

The new project would also be seven stories, but with 96 units, 47 car parking spaces, and 90 bicycle parking spaces. That's a complete reversal from the previous project, which proposed more than a third fewer units and over double the car parking spaces.

The new project also has a bunch of really interesting features that go all in on sustainability. All of the car parking spaces will come equipped with either level I or II chargers (rapid and overnight). The roof will have a solar array that will help offset the building's energy use. The project will also create a new access point to the Cedar Lake Trail. There are a bunch of other features as well that run the gamut from energy efficient appliances to high-quality insulation and glazing. This is a model that the developer has already used on a completed project in St. Louis Park, coincidentally also on the Cedar Lake Trail.

The exterior will be clad in dark brick. It seems really hard to produce an attractive rendering to show these materials, but it should look similar to Second on Second, which pulled from a similar aesthetic.

Overall, a really exciting project. Hope to see it get off the ground.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 21st, 2022, 10:14 am

That lighting supply project is kind of hilarious. They're rolling their dream single family home build plus their rental portfolio into a single project.
Towns!