North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby LakeCharles » February 2nd, 2018, 10:39 am

Also, how many food halls can we sustain? The Dayton's Project has a 40,000 sq.ft. food hall planned, there are two under way in St. Paul, one in Northeast, and obviously Midtown Global.

But it would seem to complement the plethora of nearby breweries quite well.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 2nd, 2018, 11:36 am

I like the concept, but couldn't they add a couple levels of apartments or condos above it? Not exactly the highest and best use ...
They actually can't. The condo building next door owns the air rights to protect their views, so they can't build taller than 40'. It's unfortunate, but there's not really any way around it short of convincing the condo board to sell the air rights back.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » February 2nd, 2018, 11:46 am

I like the concept, but couldn't they add a couple levels of apartments or condos above it? Not exactly the highest and best use ...
They actually can't. The condo building next door owns the air rights to protect their views, so they can't build taller than 40'. It's unfortunate, but there's not really any way around it short of convincing the condo board to sell the air rights back.
Is this the first condo association/homeowner that "gets it"!? If you want the view, you have to own the view.

Otherwise, good news in hopefully closing the fast casual food gap in the North Loop. I had a friend that used to live at Junction Flats, if we wanted something quick to eat it was either Jimmy Johns delivery or the SA next door. *shudder*

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » February 2nd, 2018, 1:14 pm

I don't think it is unfortunate at all. The original developer owned the entire block and the Bookman stacks was masterplanned to have a tall condo building with a low rise and a green space between. This provides texture and varying degrees of scale to the block. The developer could have done a 3 or 4 story donut-shaped or U-shaped building that filled the block but opted for this route. This is an example of actually taking a wholistic approach. It seems a bit odd now because the neighborhood is very different than it was when this was completed but it is still a good approach. The only downside is that it is taking forever to build the low rise. The original developer was going to do a swanky restaurant on the space but that fell through in the recession and so it still sits undeveloped.

I think this is a great concept and assuming the "food hall" approach allows for a few cheaper options it would be great for the neighborhood. We don't need another $15 burger.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 2nd, 2018, 1:14 pm

They literally can't, the Bookmen Stacks owns the air rights on this plot, so this is as high as the developer can go.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » February 2nd, 2018, 5:22 pm

The views from the Bookmen Stacks are great, it's a well-planned block that's taking awhile to get completed.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 2nd, 2018, 11:15 pm

The property is governed by the Stacks condo board I think- so no view blocking buildings I'd guess. The Bookman parking is under the site.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 5th, 2018, 9:24 am

I've got a interesting tidbit on this one -- when I was touring a unit at The Stacks in 06' I was told they had air rights to the plot in front of them and therefor the views would be retained. It was all kind of hush-hush backroom deal sounding, so you didn't hear it from me.
Towns!

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » February 17th, 2018, 5:45 pm

The parking garage on 10th ave is really going up quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's open by late spring or early summer. Turns out, when a building is mostly just pre-cast cement or whatever, it doesn't actually take very long to assemble...

612pab
Block E

Postby 612pab » February 18th, 2018, 2:54 am

I currently live in the Bookman lofts. We Do Not own the land. We almost bought it but we didn't last year. The bylaws state that a building of no more than two stories can be built on that land. That has been written in since the lofts and stacks were made for whomever takes ownership of the land. We almost bought it but the seller had some bizarre terms...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 18th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Owning the air rights and owning the land are two different things.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2018, 12:49 pm

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » February 27th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I can't access the article, but I would guess that it's about the Schafer Richardson apartment project along 3rd St N (http://www.journalmpls.com/news/develop ... orth-loop/) - that large parking lot has been the rumored location for the NL park. Last I heard, the park would be about 0.75 acre.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » February 27th, 2018, 7:15 pm

The park aside, am I the only one that thinks it's a joke that this neighborhood can't seem to get anything better than a generic, fairly ugly six story apartment building? Wasn't there some legislative changes made last year that were supposed to make things easier/more viable for condo developments?

With the dwindling number of available lots, it seems like the neighborhood is close to realizing its potential, or at least its easy to envision what that potential looks like, and it's fairly disappointing.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 28th, 2018, 9:33 am

What are you looking for? Height? Aren't there height restrictions?

I actually like most of the newer stuff, mostly because it looks modern and easily distinguishable from the old stuff, much of which is cool.

I'll grant you the older generation of new stuff (e.g., River Station condos & TownePlace Suites) are pretty boring.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 19th, 2018, 7:03 pm

The closer North Loop development gets to Plymouth Ave, the more I dwell on the crappy urban experience of the 94 viaduct.

There are a lot of opportunities to reconnect some of the grid up there.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 19th, 2018, 9:18 pm

The city & MNDot invested A LOT in eliminating that neighborhood. We can't just throw that investment away.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 19th, 2018, 10:52 pm

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 20th, 2018, 6:34 am

The park aside, am I the only one that thinks it's a joke that this neighborhood can't seem to get anything better than a generic, fairly ugly six story apartment building? Wasn't there some legislative changes made last year that were supposed to make things easier/more viable for condo developments?

With the dwindling number of available lots, it seems like the neighborhood is close to realizing its potential, or at least its easy to envision what that potential looks like, and it's fairly disappointing.
It is strange to me that they're building 20+ story towers across the river, but nothing more than 5+1s in the North Loop. There's height restrictions, of course, but the limit is 140', so they wouldn't prevent an 11-story building like Latitude 45 or Iron Clad.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 20th, 2018, 7:16 am

The city & MNDot invested A LOT in eliminating that neighborhood. We can't just throw that investment away.
Overall the viaduct appears to be in okay condition Yet, at least one pillar is super eroded from drainage issues which appear to be running melt water from the highway. Someday this will need to be replaced and it'll be spendy. Perhaps, then we could go with something else. The neighborhood and it's needs have obviously changed since it was built.