North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MinnMonkey
Nicollet Mall

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby MinnMonkey » February 10th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Does anyone know which project just had the tower crane put up this past week a block off the 94 viaduct? From the looks of it, it appears to be for a 8-10 story building.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » February 12th, 2020, 3:47 pm

It is the Schafer Richardson project. It has its own thread a page or two ago listed as 725 3rd St N.

It is a 6 story apartment building with a small commercial space on first floor. I think the crane had to be taller than normal due to the adjacent condos which are a bit taller.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 11th, 2020, 10:13 am

I'm surprised I haven't found any information on the Vesi project on River Road?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 11th, 2020, 10:24 am

We have a thread for it back here, but it doesn't look like anyone's had an update in 15 months or so.

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » May 4th, 2020, 8:21 am

On the edge of the North Loop, this drone shot from UrbanWorks shows The Redwell as topped out (also has a nice view of the downtown and the North Loop that makes the whole area look more filled in than it is).

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » August 10th, 2020, 8:10 am

Great River Landing:
(72 homes for men who have recently been incarcerated or homeless, lot of information about this great project here)

The Redwell:
(129 units, 46 parking spaces)

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » September 6th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Via CM Steve Fletcher's email list (emphasis mine):
This week, I visited encampments in the parks, and had a chance to meet with organizers and advocates who are working both to hold the encampments together in safety and relative comfort for now, and get to more sustainable housing solutions. People who are playing hands-on roles with these encampments deserve our gratitude, respect, and continued efforts to support their efforts.

One group is proposing a particularly innovative solution - an indoor deployment of Tiny Homes in an industrial space just North of the North Loop on Washington - which shows a lot of promise. The group has identified experienced partners to design and implement this kind of supportive housing structure, and make a good case for the location. They don’t need to make a case for the need.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns about the proposal, I want to hear from you. I’m convinced we can design this in a way that minimizes impact on the surrounding neighbors, and creates a welcoming space for neighbors currently residing in our parks. In the meantime, you can learn more about the project at indoorvillages.org and you can even go in person to see one of these tiny homes for yourself – they’ve set one up at the Midtown Greenway to help people understand the concept better. I think this is an important way that a Ward 3 neighborhood can lean into the challenge of unsheltered homelessness and be part of the solution, and I’m hopeful we can overcome the remaining hurdles and make this (among other solutions) happen.

SurlyLHT
Foshay Tower

Postby SurlyLHT » September 8th, 2020, 9:13 am

If you live in this neighborhood, ask for the specifics of the proposal. The details matter here. My neighborhood stopped the County from putting an emergency shelter in our neighborhood. There were various reasons for this, but one of the biggest concerns was that it didn't come with the funding to actually serve the residents and was just designed to warehouse people. Overall when we asked important questions we weren't able to get answers. This looks like it may be a better proposal than what we had. There is or was also another proposal for a shelter nearby on Plymouth and Fremont, the one they wanted to place in our neighborhood would have also been off of Plymouth Ave