Re: Plymouth Building Hotel Conversion - (12 6th Street Sout

Postby seanrichardryan » February 7th, 2014, 12:00 am

Ha. No. But god, I wish.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » February 7th, 2014, 8:04 am

High end hotels are good, they bring visitors with $$. Speaking of which, whatever happened to that boutique hotel conversion on first ave? Don't know the name, can't find a post for it but the building looks like it's been in semi-renovation mode for over a year.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » February 7th, 2014, 10:49 am

All of this development is really going to change the northern end of Hennepin for the good. I hope that with the Plymouth conversion that ugly surface parking lot next to it will be quickly redeveloped. Finally appears that owners of these small surface parking lots are realizing the money that can be made.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 7th, 2014, 11:11 am

So obviously the building looks ok as is, but does anyone think that with the money of a hotel chain like this behind it, we might see a renovation of the ornate ceramic detail on the building? it would certainly fit the brand...
Conrad hotels convey an elegant image. There will be some attention to details. I hope we will see some significant upgrade of the exterior, but probably not a replication of the original ceramic detail. Just my guess.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 7th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Perusing various hotel websites, one wonders what would have happened if we never had the word "bustling."

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

web

Postby web » February 7th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Higher end Hilton

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 8th, 2014, 11:33 am

Conrad hotels convey an elegant image. There will be some attention to details. I hope we will see some significant upgrade of the exterior, but probably not a replication of the original ceramic detail. Just my guess.
I'm thinking maybe along the lines of how the Soo Line Building went, but, maybe not as modern in the interior common areas. But somewhat like the Soo Line, I'd like to see an open 2-story lobby with the skyway connection easing through it. Right now, the skyway level through Plymouth is a flourescent-lit creepsville.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 8th, 2014, 11:47 am

Yeah, I think opening up the ground floors would be easy and viable, and if adding anything from the past would be worth while, it would be the big awesome globe lights that ringed the top of the building. that would look awesome.

http://lileks.com/mpls/plymouth/4.html

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 8th, 2014, 12:40 pm

I hope that Hennepin Avenue starts changing for the better. With this hotel, the empty block next door, the Cowles Center, and the Mayo Clinic/Wolves/Lynx block it would seem that this street will finally start being what people have envisioned.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 8th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Love that idea in the old photo. I'm confident the hotel will have some sort of significant lighting scheme on the exterior as part of the project. It really adds a sophisticated image and will enhance the nightscape of the theater district. Agree Uptowncarag, we are starting to see Hennepin really blossom into what I remember people envisioning 30 years ago.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 8th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I hope that with the Plymouth conversion that ugly surface parking lot next to it will be quickly redeveloped.
I got off the 4 here yesterday and wandered/pondered around for a bit before heading to N.Loop. One has to imagine that the hotel renovation will involve some sort of beautification for that façade of the building. Nightmare scenario would be the hotel conversion planning on using this surface lot indefinitely! Hopefully something is proposed here soon so everyone is on the same page.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 8th, 2014, 1:28 pm

One of our bloggers has already mentioned this, but both the 4th and 5th surface lots on Hennepin are being eyed by developers. And we now know the 4th street site is up for sale , possibly leaked in the media in an attempt to start some sort of bidding war to increase the selling price. I think it's pretty self evident with the Conrad and Hampton coming in, the Block E ( plus City Center and Target Center) renovations ,and the growth of the north end of Nicollet Mall, this area is in massive development boom. I doubt many of the surface lots in this area will remain vacant for long.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 8th, 2014, 2:17 pm

That will only happen if the economy keeps moving forward. We have been through a very long drought in the downtown development environment. So there is pent up number of projects, but the economy is still the wild card as to when they get built.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 8th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Will the hotel reuse the restaurant space? Could this be the end of the curse that has plagued that corner?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 8th, 2014, 10:01 pm

I hope that with the Plymouth conversion that ugly surface parking lot next to it will be quickly redeveloped.
I got off the 4 here yesterday and wandered/pondered around for a bit before heading to N.Loop. One has to imagine that the hotel renovation will involve some sort of beautification for that façade of the building. Nightmare scenario would be the hotel conversion planning on using this surface lot indefinitely! Hopefully something is proposed here soon so everyone is on the same page.
It could be that the hotel is coming in because something is going to be built next door and the conversion will coincide with construction next door. One can only hope.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2014, 7:42 am

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 10th, 2014, 8:00 am

Gotta wonder what's going to happen to Lyon's. It's actually in the Plymouth Building, correct? I can't see that pub being in a Conrad hotel, but I'd be sad to see it go.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 10th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Gotta wonder what's going to happen to Lyon's. It's actually in the Plymouth Building, correct? I can't see that pub being in a Conrad hotel, but I'd be sad to see it go.
I don't think that would really be a problem for the Lyon's to stay put. It has a separate entrance on 6th is basically at the back of the building.
I look at Key's in the Foshey Tower and the W coexisting nicely. It is better to have an established money maker as to try and add an unknown performer that is a dud. This is just my opinion.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 16th, 2014, 6:02 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » July 16th, 2014, 7:12 am

Really excited to see this project finally get the green light. It's a disappointment that they are not going to be doing much work on the exterior of the building to restore its previous look, but a Conrad is definitely a great addition to the city.

I wonder if they have any plans to do anything with the roof of the building. The Conrad in Chicago has a great rooftop terrace with amazing views of the city (http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/resourc ... Center.jpg). Our skyline isn't quite as impressive, but it would be amazing if they found a way to capitalize on all that space.