New Target Building - (1001 Nicollet Mall)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: 1001 Nicollet - New Target Building

Postby John » June 16th, 2012, 10:14 am

Interesting side note that there were 26,000 people living downtown in 1991 versus 35,000 in 2012! The Target store was very controversial at the time, but it has panned out to be a great asset to downtown. There was some neighborhood opposition to the initial Target Tower proposal which was about 49 stories. if I recall correctly, that was mainly due to concern about obstructing the views of residential buildings nearby. The Minneapolis skyline was much smaller then. I don't think there would be as much controversy now with a very tall building in this area There is so much more high rise density along Nicollet Mall compared to 1991.
I really like the rehab of the buildings at 10th and Nicollet. My only gripe is I wish there was a cafe or restaurant included that would front Nicollet Mall. That would complete and reinforce the identity of this 4 block stretch of the mall as "restaurant row". It would be particularly appealing in the summer with an addition of a sidewalk cafe.
Last edited by John on June 16th, 2012, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 16th, 2012, 10:58 am

Super interesting article, I don't know how I never came across that before. I'm not 100 percent sure on all the TIF math behind it, but a quick check of Hennepin County tax records has well over 12 million in property taxes a year coming in from the 800, 900, and 1000 blocks when you add them together. I wonder how that compares to their initial projections in the 90s?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 16th, 2012, 12:04 pm

It's really interesting that that article isn't behind a paywall. The Strib's web strategy makes no sense to me.

I think the condos that had views "blocked" by the Target HQ are the ones along the Loring Greenway. But of course any argument that one's view of a downtown skyline is blocked by a skyscraper has to ignore the entire history of every American downtown.
"Who rescued whom!"

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » June 29th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Ground breaking in Brooklyn Park. 3,000.00 new employees out of DWTN. No new tower...for MANY years.

Thanks to your local NIMBY's.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 29th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 29th, 2012, 4:46 pm

LIKE ^^^
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 29th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Meh I don't mind letting people play this broken record. For the amount of sway that Target has on things in Minneapolis, they should not be expanding their operations in the burbs. Hopefully the employees getting transferred out of downtown throw a fit and Target realizes that the top younger talent it presumably wants to attract wants to be in the city.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 30th, 2012, 12:05 am

Seriously, we have been through this...they are not getting rid of any office space downtown. They are moving more people into those offices as they move the others to Brooklyn Park. Of course we would like to see all the jobs stay downtown...but at the end of the day, there will not be 3,000 less employees downtown. And really, enough about the NIMBYS. Nobody is stopping anyone from building a 50 story building on this site...one was already approved years ago, and one would be approved again today. And that is all I am contributing to this broken record:)

PS, I like the broken record...just like the round about you posted recently in another thread:)

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 30th, 2012, 9:42 am

maybe it's been said already, but does anyone know what they are doing to the outside of the building? The other day I saw them and the entire building was full of scaffolding. Are they repainting or power washing the outside?

Also it would be pretty neat if inside one of the windows they displayed a big screen TV with neat little Ad's about sale and seasonal sale items! I think it would look nice to have just a taste of what Hennepin has with it's bright lights. The rest of the windows can all be open to the inside of the building. My guess is they would like to at least have a bit of privacy in there meeting room.

Although I hate the idea of this building having zero public use retail I am starting to come around and appreciate that at least the building won't be vacant and boarded up. :roll:

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 30th, 2012, 10:06 am

The have a rendering on the outside of the scaffold. They are just making it pretty again.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 7th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Looking at Google's aerials, it looks like this adjacent building has been torn down, I'm guessing as part of this project. No love lost for that little single-story structure, but I wonder if it'll turn into anything other than a parking lot...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 7th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Yes, it was taken down over a year ago before this project was announced. The rear of the building will have an outdoor walled garden I believe.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 8th, 2012, 12:23 am

Yes, it was taken down over a year ago before this project was announced. The rear of the building will have an outdoor walled garden I believe.
I thought it was going to be a basket ball court? ...But If it's a private garden for the employee's which probably mostly come from the suburbs (not lacking in green spaces) to work I wonder why Target needs to sink millions into a playground/garden/meeting room for there employees :lol:

I can't wait until the dead of winter, then we can watch as the Target Exes dart across the street so they can have their meeting in the meeting room! :twisted: I bet you 20bucks we'd get at least 25% running without jackets even if it's sub zero!! haha

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » July 8th, 2012, 3:23 pm

wow....that's a hater post. Lets hope our best employer DWTN is miserable and lacking in green space. No wonder they're building in the burbs. They probably read this sheet.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 8th, 2012, 4:31 pm

First of all they already have a green space (the plaza to the south east of the building) which I have never seen more than 2 people visiting the space, and usually its empty. Secondly I personally love target and I think they are really a good company as I worked there for about 5 years myself. I understand their logic because they want to be able to expand if they ever need to in the distant future. Having no skyway access really limits the usefulness of the building as being a meeting space. Also the idea of going to a gym to have a meeting doesn't sound enjoyable for the nose, oh the smells of sweat surly will find there way into their meetings.

Also the entire East side of the street (with the WCCO building) will have zero places for visitors making a gap in the Nicollet Mall. All I wanted was some retail on the 1st floor in front! Also would have been a great relocation for Walgreen to have the 1st floor and they could have their gym on the 2nd floor.

I have come around to being "OK" with them having a gym, but a meeting room utterly useless IMO. Also I do hope they do read this thread, then maybe they will remember to build a nice big coat cubby like in kindergarten! :lol:

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 8th, 2012, 4:55 pm

PS, the plaza is hardly a "green space"...but if the most people you have ever seen using it is 2, you must not pass it often! I work right up the street from there, and in the summer, it is well used. Many more than 2 people. lol. Just sayin'.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm

PS, the plaza is hardly a "green space"...but if the most people you have ever seen using it is 2, you must not pass it often! I work right up the street from there, and in the summer, it is well used. Many more than 2 people. lol. Just sayin'.
Thank you for your insight :mrgreen: I love when people tell me I'm wrong that way I can correct myself and then become right again ;) ...it's true I don't travel down Nicollet much lately but when do people usually use the space? is it weekends or weekdays such as the lunch rush? Yes, it's not that much of a green space I would agree but the space they are planning to build a garden is that gonna dwarf the current space in comparison? ...I doubt it... Also the Plaza one block south is also/will be again a nice green space (or should we say relaxation space to better describe it?) Is it very critical to the welfare of the Target staff they have garden full of flowers and plants in order for them to function? How is that a better usage than adding retail space instead? Is the extra liability the only reason they are doing this instead of retail space?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 8th, 2012, 10:08 pm

You are overthinking this whole thing.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » July 9th, 2012, 5:13 am

You are overthinking this whole thing.
Isn't that the purpose of this forum, oh maybe nitpicking also...... :D

spectre000
Landmark Center

Re: New Target Building - (1001 Nicollet Mall)

Postby spectre000 » August 19th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Here's a picture from today showing the work being done.

DSCN1295 by spectre 000, on Flickr