East End / Thresher Square / Trader Joes - 713 Washington Ave S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Thresher Square Hotel & Apartments - Washington & Chicag

Postby Anondson » August 28th, 2014, 7:12 pm

I think a skyway crossing Washington in this part of downtown will be fought fiercely.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 28th, 2014, 7:25 pm

I don't think it's even possible. Skyways are prohibited in the Mill City Historic District, which I think starts north of Washington.

(The Guthrie's private skyway to its scene shop in the parking ramp is apparently exempt because it's considered a production link, like the aerial bridges between mill buildings.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 28th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I don't think it's even possible. Skyways are prohibited in the Mill City Historic District, which I think starts north of Washington.

(The Guthrie's private skyway to its scene shop in the parking ramp is apparently exempt because it's considered a production link, like the aerial bridges between mill buildings.)
Thanks for the info. I would think parking prices at Mill Quarter ramp still would increase some with a nice warm skyway just across the street taking workers all the way into downtown.

I did a search of "Thresher Square grocery store" and an Aldi's ad keeps popping up. Aldi's would be an odd fit. I would hope it not a Super Value store I think a much better location for a "Downtown" Cub/Supervalu store would be the old Family Dollar store just south of 94.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 29th, 2014, 8:55 am

Thanks for the info. I would think parking prices at Mill Quarter ramp still would increase some with a nice warm skyway just across the street taking workers all the way into downtown.

I did a search of "Thresher Square grocery store" and an Aldi's ad keeps popping up. Aldi's would be an odd fit. I would hope it not a Super Value store I think a much better location for a "Downtown" Cub/Supervalu store would be the old Family Dollar store just south of 94.
Aldi = Trader Joe's? They didn't specifically say it WOULDN'T be TJ's... they just said that TJ's are typically a smaller foot print, but someone pointed out that they've been looking at larger stores. Just a thought.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 29th, 2014, 10:19 am

Woof, I think Aldi would be awful here. I was banking on that Fresh Thyme Market they were talking about, or at least an upscale store based off the demographics here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 29th, 2014, 10:32 am

An Aldi was talked about previously, it wouldn't work well at all. We have to remember that this is Downtown east and its going to be growing very fast. Thresher is already inky a few blocks from many luxury apartments and condos

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 29th, 2014, 10:43 am

The demographics don't work that well for Aldi's. As Aldi's could go into a future development closer to the U where the demographics would be a much closer match. Being built under some residential like the Aldi's on Lake near the LRT.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 29th, 2014, 10:44 am

I did a search of "Thresher Square grocery store" and an Aldi's ad keeps popping up.
Were those search results pointing back at urbanmsp?
Aldi = Trader Joe's? They didn't specifically say it WOULDN'T be TJ's... they just said that TJ's are typically a smaller foot print, but someone pointed out that they've been looking at larger stores.
Well, it was specifically reported that it wasn't Trader Joe's, though you're right that there was no statement from the developer or anything. 20,000 sf is pretty big for them. TJ's will find a spot in Minneapolis eventually, likely downtown due to the restrictive liquor spacing requirements elsewhere, but I'm not sure this is the optimal spot.

My money is still on "Fresh Thyme" or something else entirely. We know who it isn't: Kowalskis, Lunds, Whole Foods, TJs.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 29th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Were those search results pointing back at urbanmsp?
Several news sites including this site yes, I think it might have been in regards to a different store. I did find some links from Chicago, and England that pop'ed up if I recall correctly. (but not near the top) Sure would be an odd fit in that location indeed.
My money is still on "Fresh Thyme" or something else entirely. We know who it isn't: Kowalskis, Lunds, Whole Foods, TJs.
Do you know/remember when Fresh Thyme announced when they were opening there Bloomington store? Didn't they announce that even before they found a location they had an interest? They seem like a very open about there future store locations, is that because they only released that information after they had a contract? Also any idea of when this mystery grocery store would open?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 29th, 2014, 5:16 pm

TJ's will find a spot in Minneapolis eventually, likely downtown due to the restrictive liquor spacing requirements elsewhere,

Random thought/tangent: so the anachronistic alcohol laws could have the unintended consequence of helping make downtown more residential friendly by adding artificial pressure for grocery stores to locate downtown.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 29th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I'd love if someone could back me up with a link (or personal knowledge), but I've also heard that there's a state law from preventing a single company/person from owning multiple liquor stores in a single municipality.

If true, there would be a twofold thing going on here, where not only does TJ's want/need to go downtown because of Minneapolis' silly 2000 foot liquor store spacing rules (no good spots left), but also that they want to have the very best location because they only get one shot in Minneapolis.

I'd also love for someone to tell me I'm wrong about the state law, but ever since I heard it, I haven't been able to think of any obvious situations where a popular liquor store chain had two locations in any MN city. Checked the sites for MGM, Cellars, Liquor Barrel, etc...none

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2014, 5:45 pm

I've certainly heard of that limitation before, and believe that it exists, but I'm not sure if it's a state or municipal law.

A quick perusal of this document [PDF] shows lots of information about state licensing requirements, but I don't see anything that speaks to this limitation.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 29th, 2014, 6:28 pm

I thought no, because I thought the NE Lunds had a wine and spirits store. But they have a Pharmacy vs a Liquor that s Hennepin has. Not sure if MGM would have more locations in the city beside the one near Lake Calhoun.

Not finding any chains with more than one location here in the city, Unless some private owner does with more than one name, I'd say it might be so. NE Lunds had just enough space for their grocery store. The Pharmacy I think got bought up later from another company, Synder's I believe. Lund's NE also would have been up against a major powerhouse with the established Surdyk less than a block away if they had tried to compete with a liquor store.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on August 29th, 2014, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 29th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Wouldn't that be easily skirted by creating a shell company/subsidiary for each liquor store?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » August 30th, 2014, 7:24 am

Twincitizen, I've heard that too, and I think I found the relevant state statute: 340A.412 subdivision 3: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=340A.412

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I took a walk thru the first floor lobby today and it was like walking into a miniature Butler's Square. I can't believe that some creative company did not take and use this space. The buildings are somewhat open to each other at the first 2 levels. But there is a east and west set of elevator banks for each of the buildings. This will make for an interesting Hotel stay that is for sure. Not sure how close that the apartments will be as there are some good sized windows on the side of the building that will have to be preserved for views.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 17th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Any update on this project? Last I heard the unnamed grocery store was not willing to commit until a skyway connection was guaranteed. Many of the other drawings of the new downtown east skyway map does not include this segment?

Also probably already mentioned before but, Fresh Thyme Farmers Markets "The company eventually wants eight to 10 stores in Minnesota. The average store size between 26,000 and 28,000 square feet." The Thresher Square grocery store will have 20,000 sq. ft. space and considering most urban stores are smaller in size than rural stores it's safe to say this site falls within the Thyme Market sq. ft. desired size? Which might mean we wouldn't see anything opening to at earliest 2017? As Fresh Thyme does not list anything on new store section of their website. Sure not very sound method of gathering facts but does anybody have anything else to go by or any updates?

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... in-chicago

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » October 17th, 2014, 5:06 pm

The building still seems active with tenants, so no sign of progress there...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2014, 8:46 am

I'd rather see the apartment portion being done first so they can get the retail going. They can rehab for the hotel last if the market is truly there. I think the building as is would fill again once there is more office space in the area. I'm afraid they will destroy the uniqueness of the interior of the building if they try and make a hotel in there. But that is my opinion. With skyway access across the street or coming in the backside of the building I can see if taking off again as is with a up date to the mechanicals, electrical supports and adding fiber optics to make the building something that the creative people would really enjoy spending time in.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » October 19th, 2014, 10:20 am

I'd rather see the apartment portion being done first so they can get the retail going. They can rehab for the hotel last if the market is truly there. I think the building as is would fill again once there is more office space in the area. I'm afraid they will destroy the uniqueness of the interior of the building if they try and make a hotel in there. But that is my opinion. With skyway access across the street or coming in the backside of the building I can see if taking off again as is with a up date to the mechanicals, electrical supports and adding fiber optics to make the building something that the creative people would really enjoy spending time in.
I agree w/ you- keeping it as office is also a good idea. I walked a co-worker through the lobby spaces the other day and was telling him about the potential hotel conversion. What ever is decided in the end, the key issue here is that the historic and creative layout of the current building needs to be maintained. Whether office or hotel, I just hope the end result does not lessen what is already there- as the hanging offices and upper floors with all the glass is well done already. Concern would be if it converts to a hotel, will they get rid of a lot of that glass and irregular cantilevers? I think that is what makes it work so well now.