Izzy's Ice Cream Factory

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Konante
Nicollet Mall

Izzy's Ice Cream Factory

Postby Konante » June 14th, 2012, 9:04 am

I drove by Gold Medal park yesterday and it occurred to me I hadn't heard/seen anything about this potential project. Here's a refresher link and pic for those who don't remember it:

http://finance-commerce.com/2011/11/izz ... nneapolis/

Has anyone heard anything about this lately?

Shawn
Site Admin

Re: Izzy's Ice Cream Factory

Postby Shawn » June 14th, 2012, 9:38 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 38543.html

That is the most recent article I have seen. When I went into the st Paul shop the other day they said it was moving forward and that they planned to sell ice cream in a shop that will be part of the factory

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 14th, 2012, 10:02 am

this seems like a nightmare of a project!

I remember reading about how Izzy's already closed down one store because it wasn't performing well. The project just doesn't make much sense! Building a factory downtown is going to cost you much more than renting/building a factory in the suburbs in a industrial district. Secondly they wan't to sell prepackaged Ice Cream downtown instead of by the cone! That logic just seems awful! Their business model is extremely flawed I would be surprised if the store lasts more than 2-4 years!

A successful Ice cream parlor would be selling Ice Cream by the scoop fresh from the factory! Instead selling ice cream that is prepackaged will only give the illusion that your ice cream is NOT fresh and is not premium quality. Look at how successful Stone Cold Creamery by selling fresh ice cream by the scoop! Also allowing the site to exist as a "light industrial factory" for Ice Cream is ok, however what happens when the store closes and sells the site to the highest bidder. Then again who in their right mind would buy a factory downtown?

I do think this project will be a great addition to downtown even if they are INSANE enough to only sell prepackaged ice cream in the same building that creates the ice cream ( keep in mind they will be pouring the ice cream into small packages but pouring the ice cream into a larger 5 gallon drum will be to complex for them to handled by store openings :lol: )

When Izzy's factory does fail and they decide to sell or try to sell the building will possibly create a huge headache and a building that has no usage! I wonder what bank in their right mind is loaning them the cash for this project.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 14th, 2012, 10:09 am

I was just going to re-post a thread on this!

I had heard they would be selling by the scoop there as well. I can't imagine you wouldn't in one of the newest most thriving residential areas downtown.

I really hope they come through with this one. With the colors in this rendering, I think it would really compliment the Guthrie and the park. Image

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 14th, 2012, 11:28 am

It seems that the plan was always to sell ice cream from the shop, but for some reason (perhaps legal?) they did not want to publicly say that right off the bat?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 14th, 2012, 11:35 am

"Izzy's also does not have immediate plans to sell scoops of ice cream at the factory -- only prepackaged items."

from the link shawn posted from the Star Tribune. Not much clearer than that... :roll:

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 14th, 2012, 11:55 am

That Star Trib article is out of date. They will be selling ice cream by the scoop and there are plans for outdoor seating as well.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 14th, 2012, 12:04 pm

They will be selling ice cream by the scoop and there are plans for outdoor seating as well.
That's what I remember hearing/reading.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 14th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Similarly, I haven't heard anything about Park Vista -- the 12 story apt/condo mid-rise that was supposed to sort of "seal off" Gold Medal Park. That, and the potential office addition next to the Bridgewater.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 14th, 2012, 7:01 pm

I thought all the misconceptions and dislike for this project had been cleared up on Minnescraper.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 14th, 2012, 8:43 pm

I thought all the misconceptions and dislike for this project had been cleared up on Minnescraper.
Yes, this was cleared up a long time ago. Izzy's factory will have an ice cream parlor with seating. Can't wait for this fun building to start construction!

Downtowner
Block E

Postby Downtowner » August 21st, 2012, 5:25 pm

Looks like things are finally moving with this one... fence went up around the site this morning and digging has started. The sidewalks along 11th Ave and 2nd St are already in pieces.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 21st, 2012, 5:52 pm

I can't wait for this to be completed, if you're going out for icecream I would select Izzy's over Sebatian Joe's any day. Maybe someday one of the 2 Dairy Queen stores downtown will wake up and realize that if the put a store on the street level of Nicolett [sic] and stayed open past 5:00pm they would be a hit!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 7:54 pm

Can't wait for this to open. A great place to stop on a riverfront bike ride. Love the quirky "tugboat" architecture.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2012, 12:40 am

Great News!!! No one has seen any more detailed renderings/plans or anything?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 22nd, 2012, 2:36 am

I guess this is the closest thing we will ever get to having a "Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory" downtown! :roll: let the record state I am officially against this project. Creating a light industrial factory downtown next to a park is a bad idea. Given Izzy's history of having unsuccessful locations they later decide to close.

Perhaps when the company goes out of business in 2015 and the debate as to what in the world do we do with the existing build takes place that is when I shall post my wonderful "I told you so" comment! ...ah yes I shall post it in size 20 hot pink font with a neon green exclamation mark :mrgreen:

Until then I will attempt to celebrate with then and encourage them towards success and hope for the best! Who knows maybe I am... wrong? hmmm

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 22nd, 2012, 5:45 am

Given Izzy's history of having unsuccessful locations they later decide to close.
I didnt realize Izzy's has built other "factories" around town, where are these now closed "factories" located??

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 22nd, 2012, 6:21 am

so you're a glass half empty type of person, eh Lancestar? geeze dude way to support a local business.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 22nd, 2012, 7:48 am

Love the quirky "tugboat" architecture.
As do I. Its blue and white color scheme should also play off the Guthrie nicely.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 22nd, 2012, 9:26 am

Great news!