Izzy's Ice Cream Factory

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Izzy's Ice Cream Factory

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2012, 8:53 am

Even if it is a small factory, doesn't that help quell the worries that it was going to become a big industrial site for years and years? It's great that they are spending a lot of money to put a pretty factory on a park in a great new neighborhood.

Also, could it be that this is for a trench/basement area, and there will be some slab on grade construction too?

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » October 8th, 2012, 9:02 am

Even if it is a small factory, doesn't that help quell the worries that it was going to become a big industrial site for years and years? It's great that they are spending a lot of money to put a pretty factory on a park in a great new neighborhood.

Also, could it be that this is for a trench/basement area, and there will be some slab on grade construction too?
Two good points. I personally wasn't worried about the former but see the appeal of your approach.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » October 23rd, 2012, 3:35 pm

The foundation looked to be completed today with the area behind it (side opposite the park) being completely leveled and cleared. It's my guess there will be some slab on grade construction occurring on that side. Otherwise I don't see how it could possibly be big enough to produce ice cream.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » October 24th, 2012, 1:13 pm

It doesn't take a lot of space to produce large batches of ice cream. And Izzy's is just in the metro area, right? Sebastian Joe's has been producing ice cream for its stores and local cafes for years in a pretty small space.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this building when it's finished. David Salmela is among my favorite architects.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 24th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing this building when it's finished. David Salmela is among my favorite architects.
I would really like to see him design a few more urban projects in Minneapolis, especially low to midrise multifamily housing. It would be interesting to see his approach to that type of building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 24th, 2012, 3:51 pm

It doesn't take a lot of space to produce large batches of ice cream. And Izzy's is just in the metro area, right? Sebastian Joe's has been producing ice cream for its stores and local cafes for years in a pretty small space.

I think they are trying to be a more regional ice cream company.

And YES... MORE Salmela MORE MORE MORE!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 24th, 2012, 4:37 pm

He would be great architect for a project on the vacant lot north of the 222 apartments along Hennepin! 8-)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 25th, 2012, 8:22 am

He would be great architect for a project on the vacant lot north of the 222 apartments along Hennepin! 8-)
And South of! :D

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 25th, 2012, 10:12 am

^ Thinking about it now, I'd may have liked Izzy's operation to go in on the ground floor adjacent to Whole Foods somehow. A neat synergy, IMO.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 25th, 2012, 1:24 pm

is this the first non-residence commission for this architect?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 25th, 2012, 3:11 pm

No, I think he's done a factory type building in Duluth. Can't remember the name of the company.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 25th, 2012, 3:27 pm

No, I think he's done a factory type building in Duluth. Can't remember the name of the company.
I believe that it would be on his website for past project that he has completed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 25th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Hawks Boots Factory... Drool...

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » October 25th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Didn't they do Wild Rice Restaurant in Bayfield WI?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 26th, 2012, 6:31 am

cool thanks for the info. the firm's web site doesn't list any projects besides residential.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 26th, 2012, 7:13 am

The most public thing he's done, probably, is the gooseberry falls visitor center, which is pretty cool too.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 26th, 2012, 11:22 am

cool thanks for the info. the firm's web site doesn't list any projects besides residential.
Off the top of my head I don't know the Website to Architecture Minnesota. But at the public libraries there are alot of back issues that will have alot of his other works in them.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 26th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » October 30th, 2012, 11:07 am

All this talk about Salmela's other projects motivated me to check out his website and blog. When I didn't see any renderings of the Izzy's Factory, I sent him an e-mail asking if any renderings would be released and, if not, whether the previously released model (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6836 ... a594_z.jpg) would be an accurate depiction of the finalized project. Salmela's response is below:

"Yes this is a reasonably accurate representation but we do have more recent rendering images which we will try to put on our blog.

Thank you for your interest.
David"

So hopefully the renderings will be up soon(ish).

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Postby Nathaniel » November 1st, 2012, 11:35 pm

FYI: For Izzy's

The 228 Tub Sale:
http://izzysicecream.com/2012/10/31/the-228-tub-sale/

Good news is that it's a great deal. Bad news is that limited flavors are left. I have 2.6 gallons of Pumpkin if anyone is interested.