222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: 222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Postby John » October 31st, 2012, 11:16 am

I don't agree that there will "never" be development here, but John's "A Phoenix Rising from the Ashes" hyperbole is too much for me.
Oh come on, don't allow me to "get your goat" so much! ;) I think 222 is going to be the first of several projects in this vicinity. The area is a fantastic location to live in. There are quite a few vacant or surface parking lots around this project and it's hard to imagine this great project won't make those properties more valuable. It's inevitable.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 31st, 2012, 12:08 pm

I don't agree that there will "never" be development here, but John's "A Phoenix Rising from the Ashes" hyperbole is too much for me.
Oh come on, don't allow me to "get your goat" so much! ;) I think 222 is going to be the first of several projects in this vicinity. The area is a fantastic location to live in. There are quite a few vacant or surface parking lots around this project and it's hard to imagine this great project won't make those properties more valuable. It's inevitable.
Especially if/when gateway park is completed, and the parking ramp next to the Post office is turned into a park... (supposedly in the next 10-15 years)

We all saw MIll City turn from a rail yard with abandoned mills turned into a desirable residential neighborhood in 20 years... so I don't doubt this area could become a great mixed office residential neighborhood.

And you don't just live in one of those neighborhoods because like me you like to be in the middle of everything ;)

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 31st, 2012, 12:21 pm

Don't you dare underestimate the Whole Foods Effect.

interesting read though I think your giving them way to much credit! With the downtown park and the riverfront redesign projects happening in the coming years and the recent buildings of towers to high end housing makes the location a good chance. Although I never thought about how upscale stores usually stick together and very likely start to define a community so I guess some of it could be true. I think mostly it's more of a the chicken or the egg question lol maybe we can agree they go hand in hand :)

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » October 31st, 2012, 1:04 pm

I was in the Chicago Lincoln Park Whole Foods store this weekend and holy f that place is amazing. Full bar, wine bar, half dozen different restaurants within the store, etc. If we even get a few of the amenities that one has I'll be thrilled.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 31st, 2012, 2:15 pm

Yeah, I was at the flagship store in Austin and it was like shopping in a dream. A dream that I couldn't afford.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 31st, 2012, 3:33 pm

I realize Whole Foods is spendy, but it's what you put in your body. I'm skeptical of a large chunk of our mainstream food supply, which has been optimized for shelf life and is far removed from anything you'd recognize on a farm. I realize I'm blessed to be able to afford Whole Foods and some people simply do not have that choice, but it sure is cheaper to eat quality food prepared at home than to go out to eat every night!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 31st, 2012, 4:10 pm

I realize Whole Foods is spendy, but it's what you put in your body. I'm skeptical of a large chunk of our mainstream food supply, which has been optimized for shelf life and is far removed from anything you'd recognize on a farm. I realize I'm blessed to be able to afford Whole Foods and some people simply do not have that choice, but it sure is cheaper to eat quality food prepared at home than to go out to eat every night!
Amen.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 31st, 2012, 5:29 pm

Whole Foods has a generic brand for a very large number of food items in their store that are actually pretty modest in price. It's not as expensive as its hyped up to be if you're a little careful in how you shop there.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2012, 7:06 am

I think places like Whole Foods overhype the health aspects and overcharge their customers, but it's purely subjective at this point. I go there because they have good beer and wine selections (in most states) and good freshly-prepared foods. But I would never prefer to do all of my shopping there, personally.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 1st, 2012, 7:43 am

It's not like Whole Foods is going to be any more expensive than the Lunds right up the road.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 1st, 2012, 8:24 am

I just don't really like the selection at Whole Foods... And Lunds really isn't that expensive y'all. Everyone always says that...but yesterday I went there for 4 items, all of which happened to be cheaper than the same items at Rainbow last week. Sure, to be cheaper than Rainbow isn't all that common at Lunds, and certain things are expensive...but price differences on the majority of items aren't that much from store to store really. Also, Lunds has really good sales on on meat, produce, deli, that puts them in line with cheaper competitors, but the items are much higher quality! You can get some really good stuff at Lund's at good prices if you look around. I am probably a retail buyers worst nightmare...I will go to 3 different stores to get the best price on all the items I want if I have time...and some of those are always at Lund's.

Anyway, that said...I am certainly excited to have Whole Foods at this corner! I am sure it will be popular.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 1st, 2012, 10:39 am

If this is all in reference to my "dream I can't afford" line, please move along. It was just a joke -- they have beautiful urban stores (their Manhattan store at Columbus Circle is a marvel) and they charge a premium. Good for them. I choose not to shop there, but I certainly don't begrudge anybody who does. We all have our own priorities.

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Postby Nathaniel » November 1st, 2012, 11:40 pm

It's cool to see up close how they're integrating the old parking garage into the new structure.
I can't help but think with the increased intensification of this area (particularly this site) that the City should scale down the roads. A major road diet appears to be needed. I question downtown's large one-ways and 4 to 6 laners and how they'll interact with the increased population.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 2nd, 2012, 12:13 am

well when I interact with roads while walking downtown I tend to like crossing one way streets better because it's easier to jay walk across them. You know we ALL do it along Nicollet ave at some point we cross before the signal I think it's safer that way. Also there is not any one ways next to 222 now that they fixed Hennepin. I think future residents will interact just fine, more so when they build the park which should increase walk ability even greater!

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » November 2nd, 2012, 7:08 am

Where are the entrances to Whole Foods going to be? I assume Wash and Henn, but will the store run all along the Washington side to 1st Ave and have an entrance there as well? This is important for my walking home grocery shopping convenience.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 2nd, 2012, 11:10 am

This is just conjecture, but based on the Lunds at University/Central I’d guess there will be one entrance out front, either at Washington/Hennepin or Washington/First Avenue, and one from the parking garage to the back of the store. Having two entrances to the outside and one to the garage could lead to weird layout plus added costs for security and more registers.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am

Where are the entrances to Whole Foods going to be? I assume Wash and Henn, but will the store run all along the Washington side to 1st Ave and have an entrance there as well? This is important for my walking home grocery shopping convenience.
yes, according to this site the description to the pictures confirms it is the corner of Washington and Hennepin

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ge_gallery

Also they now have a website to shows all the different layouts and some nice pictures too. Looks pretty neat

http://www.222hennepin.com/Home/Gallery

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » November 3rd, 2012, 9:25 am

I just don't really like the selection at Whole Foods... And Lunds really isn't that expensive y'all. Everyone always says that...but yesterday I went there for 4 items, all of which happened to be cheaper than the same items at Rainbow last week. Sure, to be cheaper than Rainbow isn't all that common at Lunds, and certain things are expensive...but price differences on the majority of items aren't that much from store to store really. Also, Lunds has really good sales on on meat, produce, deli, that puts them in line with cheaper competitors, but the items are much higher quality! You can get some really good stuff at Lund's at good prices if you look around. I am probably a retail buyers worst nightmare...I will go to 3 different stores to get the best price on all the items I want if I have time...and some of those are always at Lund's.

Anyway, that said...I am certainly excited to have Whole Foods at this corner! I am sure it will be popular.
You could not be more right; plus the hot deli always has a yummy selection. A whole foods is better than no foods, though.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » November 3rd, 2012, 9:28 am

yes, according to this site the description to the pictures confirms it is the corner of Washington and Hennepin

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ge_gallery

Also they now have a website to shows all the different layouts and some nice pictures too. Looks pretty neat

http://www.222hennepin.com/Home/Gallery
Sorry, I hate even more. Stick construction the Gateway, still stunned. It still looks like we're in St. Louis Park.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 3rd, 2012, 10:06 am

I see thins as a plus the low rise. This allows the fhalf block south of 222 facing Hennepin to be able to go in as a Condo tower that can take in the river views, It will be far enough from the river that height is not an issue and we can work to rebuild a walkable streetscape from the North Loop. That is my proposed future lemonade for the lemon that this current market has for us.