Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
maxbaby
Landmark Center

Re: Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Postby maxbaby » April 23rd, 2015, 1:44 pm

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » April 23rd, 2015, 1:55 pm

They can try to convince us that "It's not like what you would see in the suburbs' all they want, but one look at those pictures... Holy holly hobby cheesy tchotchke. It's not my taste. But it sure is my mom's! ...and she lives in the suburbs.

Whatever. I'll probably never set foot in the place, so my only opinion is; Better than the parking lot that was there.

I feel bad for the people who unknowingly stay there during pride. Thousands of people at a block party literally outside their windows.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 23rd, 2015, 8:07 pm

Walked thru the skyway today and All I can say is underwhelming. A hall on the outside of the building is all. Sterile as can be and no retail, at least at this point.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 23rd, 2015, 9:50 pm

It's kind of a weird building. The base is pretty good and I agree the lighting at night covers up some of the deficiencies. But in daylight you have those windows on the upper level with no depth that look like they're literally glued into painted cardboard. Ugh!!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 24th, 2015, 8:11 am

Walked thru the skyway today and All I can say is underwhelming. A hall on the outside of the building is all. Sterile as can be and no retail, at least at this point.
So...like a lot of the rest of the skyway system?

Do any hotels with skyway access have any retail? It's mostly just a convenient connection for both people passing through and guests.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 24th, 2015, 8:29 am

Sterile as can be and no retail.
Good. As most of the skyway system should be.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 24th, 2015, 8:41 am

The hand-wringing over this project is perplexing. It's a badly needed affordable hotel that replaces a parking lot. The benefits far outweigh any shortcomings architecturally.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 24th, 2015, 9:06 am

City as an art installation or city as a functional place for people to use. Take your pick.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » April 24th, 2015, 9:34 am

City as an art installation or city as a functional place for people to use. Take your pick.

Shouldn't we strive to be both?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 24th, 2015, 9:43 am

As I remember there was a spot for retail on the end where it meets the A ramp skyway I thought.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 24th, 2015, 10:55 am

That's could be an interesting debate , but it needs its own thread. ;)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 24th, 2015, 10:56 am

Shouldn't we strive to be both?
Yes, but this seems like a funny example to get worked up about. And despite its shortcomings, the Hampton Inn is hardly a disaster.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 24th, 2015, 9:57 pm

So...like a lot of the rest of the skyway system?

Do any hotels with skyway access have any retail? It's mostly just a convenient connection for both people passing through and guests.

the Hyatt has a Fed Ex shop that sells many basic office supplies too. It never seems very busy but none the less I would think that is defined as retail.
As I remember there was a spot for retail on the end where it meets the A ramp skyway I thought.
There is a place next to the parking ramp side that is labeled "storage" I would imagine if the value of the skyway segment continues to grow with more usage that space could be converted into a retail space such as a coffee shop. It's only an assumption yet if the demand is there why wouldn't a hotel turn storage space into a revenue opportunity?

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » June 3rd, 2015, 1:47 pm

So they have repainted the exterior of this place, same colors but different sheen. It's now flat, and it must have been satin or something with a slight sheen because it allowed the slightest imperfections to show. With the flat sheen it actually looks a lot less tacky in the daylight.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 3rd, 2015, 1:57 pm

The Radisson had a D. Bryan's deli before the remodel and conversion to Blu. That may have been the last retail in a hotel.

Way back in the day, I recall a store that sold photographs and "art" and the like on the skyway level of the Marriott.