Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
gpete
Union Depot

Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Postby gpete » April 19th, 2013, 2:15 pm

The Venue is dead, but a hotel proposal for the site has surfaced: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -mpls.html

220 rooms, 9 stories.

MNdible
is great.

Re: The Venue - (19 8th Street North)

Postby MNdible » April 19th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Perfect use for this site!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 19th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Great news!

Mortenson certainly seems to be having a good year thus far.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 19th, 2013, 3:23 pm

It'll be perfect for all those out-state Twins fans who drive alllllllll the way to MPLS for a game that gets rained out and rescheduled for the next day! :twisted:

(Brief OT rant: If out-staters are going to complain about driving all the way to the city for a game only to have it rained out, they should have asked their state reps to vote for funding a stadium with a roof. As it is, because they decided to let Hennepin Co pay for the thing, they can STFU. Target Field is a gem; a roof would have ruined it.)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » April 19th, 2013, 5:07 pm

It'll be perfect for all those out-state Twins fans who drive alllllllll the way to MPLS for a game that gets rained out and rescheduled for the next day!
Safe to assume you were one of those? Haha. On the bright side, Mauer is swinging lumber well! :D

It will be a great location for out of towers to spend their money downtown (:

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 19th, 2013, 5:19 pm

They can go around the corner to the Saloon and have a drink and then have a story to tell their family and friends!

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Mortenson Hotel (Corner First Ave North & 8th Street North)

Postby minnyapple » April 19th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Mortenson Development has a deal to buy a site near the First Avenue nightclub in downtown Minneapolis, where it's planning a nine-story, 220-room hotel.

The site, located at the corner of First Avenue North and 8th Street North, is the same site where Turnstone Group recently suspended plans for a nine-story apartment building due to recent increases in construction costs.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -mpls.html

Silophant

Re: Mortenson Hotel (Corner First Ave North & 8th Street Nor

Postby Silophant » April 19th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Is this lot zoned for up to nine stories, or is it coincidence that both this and the venue were planned for the same height?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » April 19th, 2013, 8:37 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Seems odd both are 9 stories. Would seem silly have to the limit at 9 but not sure. Hopefully someone can answer.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » April 19th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Seems like it keeps it in scale with the 8-story pence building next door.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 19th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Being someone that works in the Pence building, losing that skyway connection during construction will suck. Yeah I know, first world problems.

I do look forward to renderings though!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 20th, 2013, 12:24 am

It'll be perfect for all those out-state Twins fans who drive alllllllll the way to MPLS for a game that gets rained out and rescheduled for the next day!
Safe to assume you were one of those?
Nope. I'm in South MPLS and am a huge Twins fan and (obviously) tax-paying resident of Hennepin County who would rather freeze in the snow or roast in the sun at Target Field (have done both) than ever step foot in the Dome again for baseball. I understand that there are lots of people who come a long way for Twins games (disclosure: I did grow up in ND) and rainouts do suck. But that's baseball. Grass and weather. Perfect.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 20th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Target Field would not be what it is with a roof. I'm glad it doesn't have one.

Also, the Twins no longer sell out games, so the issue of outstate fans buying tickets for rain outs shouldn't be that big of an issue anymore. Within a week of just about any game you shouldn't have problem getting tickets anywhere in Target Field either through the box office or resale.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » April 25th, 2013, 9:28 am

Also, the Twins no longer sell out games, so the issue of outstate fans buying tickets for rain outs shouldn't be that big of an issue anymore. Within a week of just about any game you shouldn't have problem getting tickets anywhere in Target Field either through the box office or resale.
It's ridiculous that the new stadium honeymoon lasted only one year. Didn't the Twins organization expect Target Field to sellout 2 - 3 years in a row?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Mortenson Hotel - (19 8th Street North)

Postby nordeast homer » April 25th, 2013, 9:41 am

Increased revenue, but decreasing payroll makes unhappy fans...

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » April 25th, 2013, 9:53 am

^^^I don't think 4 snowouts in a month or whatever it's been has helped, either, though...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 25th, 2013, 9:54 am

The honeymoon with the stadium would have continued had the honeymoon with the product on the field not gone to pot. If the team stops sucking, TF will fill up again.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 25th, 2013, 10:03 am

This is probably getting off topic... but I think we see near sellouts this weekend. Fri-Sun look gorgeous and the Rangers are a good team coming to town.

On topic. I think it would be interesting to see how this hotel connects to the street. There are many hotels downtown that you may not notice if you don't look twice.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 25th, 2013, 10:34 am

yea hopefully its not a pile of crap like that holiday inn express over by the convention center. we have some really ugly hotels in this city. I'm talking only mpls....yes i know the st paul hotel is a nice old building. the best is probably the marriott city center. which is saying something. it's the only decent element of city center. and even that's a stretch.

the hilton on 11th and the hyatt nicollet mall look like soviet era architecture.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 25th, 2013, 11:00 am

the hilton on 11th and the hyatt nicollet mall look like soviet era architecture.
Joseph Stalin would have been proud! It's too bad they didn't reskin The Hyatt with their recent renovation. The exterior is horrendous. They win the cheapskates of the year award.