Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
squrtis
City Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby squrtis » January 27th, 2021, 8:21 am

Little birdie told me Bar La Grassa, 112 and Birch Steak all closing. Such a shame.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Little birdie told me Bar La Grassa, 112 and Birch Steak all closing. Such a shame.
Unbelievable. I would have guessed perhaps 112 Eatery, but all three? It's really sad to hear so many well-regarded restaurants are closing. It's going to take along time for the city to rebound from all the closings of both retail stores and restaurants.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » January 28th, 2021, 11:53 am

Oh no... Burch Steak is such a large space. I think it could be subdivided, but, ugh so sad.

uptownbro
Nicollet Mall

Postby uptownbro » January 28th, 2021, 11:55 am

I read that many restaurants have stayed open but do plan on closing once things fully open up. My hope is that best case it drives rent prices down and like after the forest fire we get a huge bloom of new places

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » January 28th, 2021, 12:01 pm

As recessions go, this has been a highly unusual one, because most people haven't lacked for money, just ways to spend it. I've felt for a while that, when things finally open up for good, there might be a flood of spending as people make up for lost time. It won't be overnight, but hopefully by the end of the year.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » January 28th, 2021, 12:02 pm

As recessions go, this has been a highly unusual one, because most people haven't lacked for money, just ways to spend it. I've felt for a while that, when things finally open up for good, there might be a flood of spending as people make up for lost time. It won't be overnight, but hopefully by the end of the year.
Sadly limited options for spending downtown and in the city...

squrtis
City Center

Postby squrtis » January 29th, 2021, 11:26 am

I read that many restaurants have stayed open but do plan on closing once things fully open up. My hope is that best case it drives rent prices down and like after the forest fire we get a huge bloom of new places
What is the rationale behind that?

uptownbro
Nicollet Mall

Postby uptownbro » January 29th, 2021, 11:39 am

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San ... 854041.php
"I think a lot of people aren't closing [bars] yet because they're waiting to see what happens — and they're basically going deeper and deeper and deeper into debt,” Bleiman told SFGATE. “So it's not like people are just pulling the ripcord and saying, 'I'm done.' They're just not paying rent. … I think you're going to see a lot of closures between now and the vaccine, for sure. But you're also going to see once the vaccine comes out and people kind of wake up from this fog, we're going to see absolute devastation."

I do get it in a way. Many are already so deep in that really there is not that much more risk in just trying to hold on until they can see if there is any aid money coming.

squrtis
City Center

Postby squrtis » January 29th, 2021, 11:50 am

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San ... 854041.php
"I think a lot of people aren't closing [bars] yet because they're waiting to see what happens — and they're basically going deeper and deeper and deeper into debt,” Bleiman told SFGATE. “So it's not like people are just pulling the ripcord and saying, 'I'm done.' They're just not paying rent. … I think you're going to see a lot of closures between now and the vaccine, for sure. But you're also going to see once the vaccine comes out and people kind of wake up from this fog, we're going to see absolute devastation."

I do get it in a way. Many are already so deep in that really there is not that much more risk in just trying to hold on until they can see if there is any aid money coming.
Brutal.