Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
squrtis
City Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby squrtis » January 27th, 2021, 8:21 am

Little birdie told me Bar La Grassa, 112 and Birch Steak all closing. Such a shame.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Little birdie told me Bar La Grassa, 112 and Birch Steak all closing. Such a shame.
Unbelievable. I would have guessed perhaps 112 Eatery, but all three? It's really sad to hear so many well-regarded restaurants are closing. It's going to take along time for the city to rebound from all the closings of both retail stores and restaurants.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » January 28th, 2021, 11:53 am

Oh no... Burch Steak is such a large space. I think it could be subdivided, but, ugh so sad.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 28th, 2021, 11:55 am

I read that many restaurants have stayed open but do plan on closing once things fully open up. My hope is that best case it drives rent prices down and like after the forest fire we get a huge bloom of new places

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 28th, 2021, 12:01 pm

As recessions go, this has been a highly unusual one, because most people haven't lacked for money, just ways to spend it. I've felt for a while that, when things finally open up for good, there might be a flood of spending as people make up for lost time. It won't be overnight, but hopefully by the end of the year.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 28th, 2021, 12:02 pm

As recessions go, this has been a highly unusual one, because most people haven't lacked for money, just ways to spend it. I've felt for a while that, when things finally open up for good, there might be a flood of spending as people make up for lost time. It won't be overnight, but hopefully by the end of the year.
Sadly limited options for spending downtown and in the city...

squrtis
City Center

Postby squrtis » January 29th, 2021, 11:26 am

I read that many restaurants have stayed open but do plan on closing once things fully open up. My hope is that best case it drives rent prices down and like after the forest fire we get a huge bloom of new places
What is the rationale behind that?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 29th, 2021, 11:39 am

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San ... 854041.php
"I think a lot of people aren't closing [bars] yet because they're waiting to see what happens — and they're basically going deeper and deeper and deeper into debt,” Bleiman told SFGATE. “So it's not like people are just pulling the ripcord and saying, 'I'm done.' They're just not paying rent. … I think you're going to see a lot of closures between now and the vaccine, for sure. But you're also going to see once the vaccine comes out and people kind of wake up from this fog, we're going to see absolute devastation."

I do get it in a way. Many are already so deep in that really there is not that much more risk in just trying to hold on until they can see if there is any aid money coming.

squrtis
City Center

Postby squrtis » January 29th, 2021, 11:50 am

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San ... 854041.php
"I think a lot of people aren't closing [bars] yet because they're waiting to see what happens — and they're basically going deeper and deeper and deeper into debt,” Bleiman told SFGATE. “So it's not like people are just pulling the ripcord and saying, 'I'm done.' They're just not paying rent. … I think you're going to see a lot of closures between now and the vaccine, for sure. But you're also going to see once the vaccine comes out and people kind of wake up from this fog, we're going to see absolute devastation."

I do get it in a way. Many are already so deep in that really there is not that much more risk in just trying to hold on until they can see if there is any aid money coming.
Brutal.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 13th, 2021, 10:36 pm

Angel Food Bakery will not reopen Downtown. Decamping to St Louis Park: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMVfJYTlMbm ... _copy_link

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 14th, 2021, 11:16 am

Is there anything you can share for those who don’t have an Instagram account?

Maybe a screenshot?

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 14th, 2021, 11:29 am

Is there anything you can share for those who don’t have an Instagram account?

Maybe a screenshot?
Just click the link. You can look at it without an account.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 14th, 2021, 11:44 am

I don’t know why you assume I didn’t try before I asked.

I just tried yet again.

All I see is an Instagram login request. No option by cancel or bypass and just see whatever it was.

Carlos
Block E

Postby Carlos » March 14th, 2021, 12:11 pm

From angelfoodmn

"Almost a year to the day that covid unexpectedly closed everything down, we finally have a fun announcement about Angel Food’s future!

But first, with the continuing blows about offices & business not coming back any time soon, I have exhausted all my options for the business surviving in the downtown area. I adore Minneapolis and cannot wait to see it shine again, but, unfortunately, after just shy of 9 years it is time for us to say goodbye to downtown.

But have no fear! I have decided to move Angel Food Bakery to St. Louis Park in the GORGEOUS, newly renovated Texa Tonka Shopping Center! We will have all the bakery goodies you know and love, pre-orders will be back and all of it will be complimented by an amazing, kick-ass coffee bar featuring @follycoffee (brewed, espresso, tea lattes, cold press & kombucha on tap and more!). There will be plenty of seating, a full outdoor patio and ample free parking (yayayay!). Oh, and did I mention that we’ll be right across the patio from the brand new Revival location?!? Good thing I stopped wearing jeans last year, cause those burgers & hush puppies are THE BOMB.

We hope to open sometime early summer in the bright and airy new space… and WAIT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! If all of this isn’t exciting enough, we’ll also be sharing the location with our sister company FrioFrio! You may know @friofriomn from the past 5 years, where my husband Chris and I have been slinging frozen treats out on the streets. FrioFrio has developed a small and mighty cult following with fun and delicious Ice Lolly flavors like Strawberry-Balsamic-Basil, Avocado-Lime (if you know, you know) and the ever popular Piñata (lemon-lime w/ sprinkles & gummy bears). FrioFrio’s first home in St Louis Park will have an expanded menu including Ice Lollies, Shaved Snow Ice Cream & other delicious frozen goodies. For those of you 21+, we’ll also be working with our favorite distilleries and mixologists to bring a rotating menu of frozen boozy delights. We like to think of it as an ice cream speakeasy in the back.

Cheers to a light at the end of the tunnel and we are looking forward to sharing a donut, a cup of coffee or a frozen treat with you!"

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 14th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Thank you so much!

I live in Hopkins but track SLP a ton. With Revival announced months back, landing this is quite a change for Texa Tonka.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 16th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Hell's Kitchen, on the other hand, is not only staying put, but "The restaurant also says it's planning a "wildly cool" replacement in the upstairs space once Angel Food leaves."

I guess it makes sense, since Angel Food was spun off of Hell's Kitchen in the first place, but I didn't realize they were subletting the space.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 29th, 2021, 10:11 am

According to their Facebook page, the Nicollet Diner will be reopening in the old Ichiban building this summer, alongside Roxy's Cabaret. Then, the Nicollet Diner space on the corner of 15th and Nicollet will become a pizza, chicken, and hoagie-focused sports bar.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 29th, 2021, 10:26 am

Ichiban across from the Hyatt? It sees like such a large space for the Diner.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 29th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Ichiban across from the Hyatt? It sees like such a large space for the Diner.
The dinner and a cabaret it says.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 29th, 2021, 6:28 pm

According to their Facebook page, the Nicollet Diner will be reopening in the old Ichiban building this summer, alongside Roxy's Cabaret. Then, the Nicollet Diner space on the corner of 15th and Nicollet will become a pizza, chicken, and hoagie-focused sports bar.
This was supposed to have already happened in January
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... house.html

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I really like Nicollet Diner. They are open all night and their staff is great.