Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Restaurant News

Postby Wedgeguy » August 8th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Smack shack at (I think) 605 Washington is moving along slowly, but it's moving along. They recently installed large green commercial/industrial style doors all around the side. From the looks of them they'll be opened when the weather is nice.
I ask one of the chefs at the SS truck when the brick and motar was opeing and he said that they were shooting for Sept 22. So that is the estimate, but we know how it can be to get all permits signed off.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » August 9th, 2012, 9:39 am

Smack shack at (I think) 605 Washington is moving along slowly, but it's moving along. They recently installed large green commercial/industrial style doors all around the side. From the looks of them they'll be opened when the weather is nice.
I ask one of the chefs at the SS truck when the brick and motar was opeing and he said that they were shooting for Sept 22. So that is the estimate, but we know how it can be to get all permits signed off.
They are now hiring for all positions: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/f ... 37284.html

The job posting confirms that Smack Shack will have an expanded menu, a full bar and will be serving both lunch and dinner 7 days a week.

swmpls
City Center

Postby swmpls » August 16th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Some updates in the Warehouse District:

The Belmore coming to 25 4th Street N in September: http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... e-belmore/

Not really sure what this one is about, but there was a planning commission topic on a four story addition to a nightclub at 300 1st Ave N (old Cafe Brenda spot). It seems like it will be on that parking lot facing 3rd Street: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... S1P-096930

Does anyone know anything else about that one?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 17th, 2012, 10:25 am

Not really sure what this one is about, but there was a planning commission topic on a four story addition to a nightclub at 300 1st Ave N (old Cafe Brenda spot). It seems like it will be on that parking lot facing 3rd Street: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... S1P-096930

Does anyone know anything else about that one?
300 1st Ave has been out for materials bid for a while now. They are building a Music Venue simply called "The Venue". The addition is the performance space I believe. But I have only seen the plans a couple of times briefly so don't hold me to it! I'm not sure of the confidentiality or I'd try to post a picture...

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 20th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Here's a link to a pic of the inside: http://instagram.com/p/OZuEpVy9GR/. Looks to be a ways off from a Sept 22nd opening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2012, 10:09 am

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

World of Beer

Postby 1200onthemall » September 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Interesting concept, has anyone heard where this is going to be?? Block E perhaps?

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... nneapolis/

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 27th, 2012, 7:44 am

I think they should locate next to "Sex World", so we can have that "worldy" theme going on there....give the area an "international vibe". :D

Seriously though, that localle would be between the big nightlife scene from 1st and Hennepin and North Loop, not to mention Target Field. PERFECT!

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 27th, 2012, 12:16 pm

I think they should locate next to "Sex World", so we can have that "worldy" theme going on there....give the area an "international vibe". :D

Seriously though, that localle would be between the big nightlife scene from 1st and Hennepin and North Loop, not to mention Target Field. PERFECT!
I also think that area is ripe for something to happen, the entire block across washington from Runyon's is a shame.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 27th, 2012, 2:19 pm

I also think that area is ripe for something to happen, the entire block across washington from Runyon's is a shame.
I believe part of that block is the Envelope Apartments,(historic building), and the OPUS, proposed Velo apartment on the printing site. across from 222 Hennepin. THe half block portion facing Washington is in need of some redevelopment ideas.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » October 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm

I have heard from my Northloop board member friends that this is moving very slowly if at all due to HPC concerns over the changes to the inside space. Also the Caribou that was to be located next door has yet to be announced, over the weekend the installed a "for lease" sign in the reported Caribou storefront.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » October 17th, 2012, 3:04 pm

I'm sorry I never made it here before it closed...

Thom Pham’s Wondrous Azian Kitchen in downtown Minneapolis has shut its doors, just the latest in a line of closures for the serial restaurateur.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... loses.html

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 17th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. It is what he does....hops from restaurant to restaurant, trying to avoid debts. Or so I hear. Purely gossip of course.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » October 17th, 2012, 5:11 pm

I'm sorry I never made it here before it closed...

Thom Pham’s Wondrous Azian Kitchen in downtown Minneapolis has shut its doors, just the latest in a line of closures for the serial restaurateur.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... loses.html
Sad...seems like for every step forward Mpls. makes with a new store or restaurant opening, it then takes 2 steps back. Be nice if some stores/restaurants/bars hung around for a while. I was back in town a week ago and was surprised at how many empty storefronts there were along 1st Avenue. I imagined with the new baseball stadium, bars and the nightlife would be flourishing. Begs me to question how much sustainable development will occur around the new Vikings stadium.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » October 17th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Thom Pham’s Wondrous Azia Kitchen has been listed on the State of MN Sales Tax revocation list on-off many times. This is a list of businesses that fail to pay the sales tax they collect to the State of MN. Azia is on the most recent list as owing
$82,454.86 on 1/27/2011
If my memory serves me right his restaurant at 26th-Nic was on this same list prior to its closing. Not surprised of this closing at all.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 17th, 2012, 9:55 pm

There is a felony warrant out for Thom Pham's arrest for writing bad checks.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

web

Postby web » October 17th, 2012, 10:11 pm

The guy sounds like a lifetime hood. revoke his right to operate in mpls period.......wonder if he pays his employees legal wages

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 17th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » October 18th, 2012, 12:10 am

So I guess Azia on 26th and Nicollet won't be reopening...

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 18th, 2012, 7:36 am

I had lunch there almost two years ago -- good food, but overpriced for what it was. I thought the place was overrated, IMO. Still, it's never good to see a restaurant close, though Pham seems to be a piece of work.